Thursday, April 17, 2014

Orange, Blue and Grey Dining Room Makeover

After living in our house for 15 months and making no progress on our dining room, I hired my sweet, incredibly talented friend, Katie, from Katie Grace Designs to tackle this big empty space! 

I love neutral rooms in other homes, but for our house color is a must! Our new dining room is fun and funky, while still being a classy dining space! The bright, bold colors help it feel a bit more casual, which I love. We cannot wait to entertain family and friends in this room! 


The awesome light fixture is just a storage basket with a light built into it. This was such a reasonable alternative to purchasing a new, large light fixture. And it adds such a fun texture to the room! 


 Katie found this fabulous fabric that I just loved! It was central to the room design. I love that it is such a great combination of orange, grey, blue and yellow.  We had the parsons chairs already {they are ivory leather}, so slipcovers made for an easy change in the look of the chairs. 


The middle 4 chairs have shorter slipcovers in the grey linen. It's the same fabric used for the curtains. We ordered the rug online and I was so pleased with the way it looked in person. The table was my grandmother's. I blogged, here, about refinishing it. 


One of my favorite things about the room is the custom artwork by Amanda Kella. These are canvas pieces in simple, modern frames from Hobby Lobby. 


A close-up of her AMAZING work! 


This china cabinet was Josh's grandmothers {and I think it belonged to her mother} so it had been in their family for a while. It was brave to paint it blue, but I LOVE the way it turned out! My friend Emily painted it and did such a great job! It's special to us that we have furniture pieces from both of our maternal grandmothers in our dining room. 


Emily kept the original hardware on the china cabinet and painted it silver. So fun! Right now I have some of my everyday Target dishes in there, but I'm planning to put my china in the cabinet. I've used our formal china once in 6.5 years of marriage. ;) 


 Love all the pops of color! 


One more look at the room! 


This room is so us! We absolutely LOVE it, and it's honestly better than what we could have imagined! Katie made the entire process so easy and fun, and she took care of every detail. I cannot say enough great things about working with her. She is SO good at what she does. It's so fun to see friends use their gifts and passions to bless and help others.

If you are not local, Katie does design boards as one of her design services. It's a great option!

Thanks, Katie, for the awesome room! I'm already thinking about what room we can tackle next! :)


14 comments:

Kelly Stamps said...

OOOOOOHHHHHHHH I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

It is so fun and colorful and bright! Beautiful!!! You're going to have so much fun and make so many memories entertaining in that space!

lifewiththebs said...

Wow, that looks great!

Tori G said...

Looks great. Love the light fixture!

Ansleighsmom said...

IT LOOKS AMAZING!! Love it Jenn! have a happy Easter!

His Doorkeeper said...

Love your space...looks terrific! Love the rug! It adds just the right amount pop of color and design!

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness. I LOVE this room, Jennifer!!

The Jacobs Family said...

I love the design, I feel like this is something every one could do just using what you have + some paint and fabric. Thanks for the inspiration!

Rebecca said...

What a great, fun room! Love the china cabinet blue, it's so pretty! Special that you have furniture from your families!

Have a lovely Easter with your family!

:) Rebecca

Amy said...

Everything is gorgeous. I am looking for a rug for my living room. Would you mind sharing where you bought yours from online? Thank you!

Renae said...

Cute!! I love those colors together!

Louisiana Bride said...

This looks amazing! Love it:)

Debbie Arnold said...

Really cute:)

Joanne Daniels said...

The dining room looks gorgeous. Although I personally like to see classy dining rooms, I think our homes should be a reflection of our personalities. I think your dining room looks so full of life and would be a great place to eat in. You really know what you're doing. Great job!

Joanne Daniels @ VIP Furniture Outlet