Wednesday, July 24, 2013

what is on my kindle...

It has been harder for me to sit down and read books quickly the last 4.5 years. I see so many moms talk about how they read so many books each year, so I know it's possible, I guess I just do not make the time to read like I should. If I read, it's usually a book that I can learn and grow from instead of something that's fiction. I used to knock out a fiction series in the summers like it was my job. I love fiction books, but I just do not make the time to read them like I used to before having kids (unless I am at the beach)! :)

This summer I have really tried to make a better effort to read. I've been reading a lot while the kids nap or while I am sitting outside watching them play. It's been nice to actually start AND finish books this summer! :) I'm not setting any reading goals, but I am hoping to continue reading more even after our busy schedule starts back this fall.

Here is what is on my Kindle....


Undaunted by Christine Caine. Our pastor sent me an email with some info about her about a year ago encouraging me to listen to her podcasts. She is a great communicator!! She and her husband also founded The A21 Campaign to help stop human trafficking. This is a great book!


Anything by Jennie Allen. It's no secret that I love Jennie's books and studies. I love how authentic she is in her writing and how many times I think to myself, "I've felt that way, too." Jennie shares her journey to saying "Yes" to anything God asked her to do, regardless of what it required of her. I really loved this book! Good Morning Girls has been doing a book study of this book this summer. 


Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle. I have loved Melanie's blog and writing style for years, so I loved reading her book! It's a hilarious and easy read about motherhood! Any mom can relate to the stories Melanie shares in this book. I read this one in a couple of days! 


Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson. This book was written by a mother and daughter. It's one of the best books on Biblical parenting I have read. This summer was my 2nd time to read it. I am sure I will read it again and again over the next few years. Go read this book!! :)


24/6 by Matthew Sleeth. This book is not one I would have ever thought to buy. I saw this book on a Instagram post from another blogger that I really like and respect. I am not completely finished with this book, but what I have read has really challenged me to think a lot. It's just a great reminder on the spiritual and physical importance of taking a day of rest each week. Once I finish this book, I may blog a little more on the topic! 

What have you been reading this summer??

6 comments:

Linds said...

I read Anything last summer. Loved it! I've been trying to finish Unglued this summer, and Jon Acuff's "Start" book, but alas, I never have time to read since I have about an hour of free time between feedings and naps. :/ maybe next summer will be my summer of reading :)

Lauren & Eddie said...

I try to read a few books each month and blog about them. Lately, I've read Sophie Hudson's book, a Michael Crichton book, Mr. Popper's Penguins - with James, and I'm working on Lysa TerKeurst's Unglued right now.

Charity said...

Its cool you mention GMG, my dear friend Whitney is one of the leaders!

Lindsey said...

I love this post. Reading is not my favorite past time but you have interested me in a few of these. My husband and I have been talking about how much we really want to make sure we make Sunday a day of rest and stop being SO busy! Looks like 24/6 would be a book we would like! Thanks!

Carrie said...

Wow. Thank you for this post. These all sound like wonderful reads and I added them all to my Goodreads 'to read' list. I would love to hear more about your thoughts on 24/6 in another blog post. :)

Carmen Gathmann said...

Love your reading list! Thank you for sharing!