Thursday, July 11, 2013

how we said good-bye to the pacifier

Jillian finally did it...at 2 years and 9 months old she said good-bye to her pacifier! 


For the first time in almost 5 years, I am not keeping up with pacifiers {they seriously just disappear), finding them behind beds, or making sure I have a surplus of them in the car for traveling. Hallalujah!!!

Jillian was only using it at nap time and bedtime, and she used it when we went on our 14-15 hour car ride to Destin in May. We thought about taking it away during the school year, but her teacher used it as a way to keep her from singing and talking to herself when it was time for naps. Apparently, she was distracting her little friends with all her noises! ;)

I had decided after vacation we were going to take it away. We talked about it to her for several days, then, about a month ago, we took it away cold turkey. The first few days went pretty well, then about 5 days into it she realized this was permanent. It didn't go so well at that point.

She didn't cry or whine and wasn't even upset, but she would not settle for naps or bedtime. One time I walked in the room and she had taken off her pajamas and was jumping up and down on her bed at midnight laughing and singing. Another day she stayed up for over 18 hours before she finally gave in and slept. For over a week we would put her to bed at 8:30 and she wouldn't fall asleep until 12:30. It was a little exhausting. We all felt like this... ;)


I was sharing the pacifier situation with our small group during our family update time, and one of the guys suggested going to Build-A-Bear and putting her paci in a bear. She would always have the paci in her bear, but she would understand it was gone. So we tried it!

She picked out a pink princess bear, said good-bye to the last un-cut pacifier we had, and put it in the bear.


She had a great time building the bear and it seemed to make a sad time for Jillian much more fun. 


The first night at home with the bear, I heard her trying to convince her paci to come back out of the bear. She was trying to pull open the seam in the back of her bear while saying "Paci get out of there right now or I will have to cut you out of there". Thankfully, we hide our scissors! ;)

Other than that little moment, it has gone great with the bear! She sleeps with "paci bear" and goes to sleep easily now.

This idea worked great for Jillian. Brody was completely different. We just took his away one night and he never mentioned it again. It was SO easy! I'm continually reminded what works for one child doesn't work for every child.

I love hearing what other families did to get rid of pacifiers. If you have any fun ideas, please share them!! 

14 comments:

The Howell's said...

I took Landry's away cold turkey as well. She never even asked for it! So much easier than i thought. ;)

Charity said...

The best part of this story is that you got your suggestion from a Guy! :)

Kendra said...

We did something similar...we took our binkies to Build A Bear and used them as currancy to purchase our new lovies =). I did want to put them inside the Bear for fear they would tear the bears up trying to get their binkies out! haha. But we talked about it for days, and the day of, we went around our house and collected each and every binkie and put them in bags, then the twins handed the bags over themselves to the cashier to 'pay' for the bears! It worked SO well and I was super impressed with Build A Bears staff =)

Audrey said...

That Jillian quote to the bear is GOLD!

Nancy said...

What a great story with a happy ending!

LC said...

I think the bear idea is so cute and fun! My daughter never took a paci but she sucks her thumb! She's only 1 right now but I have no idea how I will ever get her to stop that down the road. Can't really take her thumb away!

Lindsey said...

All 3 of my kids took a paci. My oldest had the "paci fairy" come at night and take all his pacifiers and left a new truck. Worked like a charm!! My middle son fell when he was 1 and knocked his top tooth very very loose so we were forced to takes his away cold turkey. My youngest was the most attached to hers so we cut the ends and then let her have them. Of course she didn't like them that way and ended up getting rid of them herself. Each kid was most definitely different but I'm with you.... Searching for them is a big headache!!

Sasha said...

What a great idea!

We told our son that the baby monkeys at the zoo needed them. We put them in a little gift bag and drove to the zoo and found a zoo keeper to give them to. He took the gift sack and promised our son he would take them to the baby monkeys to use that night. It worked great.

Katy said...

Such a great idea for Build-A-Bear! I will have to try that when the time comes. My 19 month old is addicted to her paci but I don't want to take it away yet with the new baby coming soon. I hate making sure we always have a few wherever we go. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who feels like they just disappear.

Megan said...

My 3 boys used paci's and I just took them away cold turkey with no problem.. With my little girl she sucks her middle and ring finger and I have no idea how to get her to stop! Anyone with any suggestions?

Lindsey said...

Years ago when I worked at a daycare, the parents would tell me that they made their kids wear gloves to break the habit of finger sucking. That's a hard habit to break but may e that too will help.

Linds said...

breaking the paci is SO hard, but after having a child who did the paci (Brayden) and one who didn't (Connor), I'll gladly go through paci breaking if it means the peace the paci brings in those early days :)

We did the paci fairy with Brayden, and that method worked REALLY well for us. Here's my post about how we did it:
http://www.adollopofmylife.com/2011/03/some-thoughts-on-paci-fairy-and-other.html

Alex and Jill said...

I am laughing out loud that she was telling her paci to get out of the bear! Bless her heart. This is exactly what we did with Amelia. We cut a small slit in the top of her paci and gave it to her all of the time but she didn't like it because there was no suction. She finally handed it to us one day and said, "I no like it." We took her only uncut paci and put it in a build-a-bear and she loves that bear to this day. We use B-A-B a lot as incentives around here. LOL Happy to here Jillian is happy and pack-free!! Way to go, Mama!

Alex and Jill said...

That was supposed to read paci-free. ha!