Sunday, March 31, 2013

The "Perfect" Easter Picture

Do you want to know something? I'm so guilty of wanting to capture the "perfect" holiday pictures. The ones where our kids are perfectly posed in their sweet coordinating clothes with sweet, angelic looks on their faces...maybe even sweetly holding hands with big, squinty-eyed grins. 


 I'm not sure why I put that pressure on myself sometimes to capture life that way. Maybe that is the way I want to remember it? Maybe that's how I want our family to be perceived? Either way, perfect isn't the norm around our house. 

Sometimes our kids stand on furniture at the end of meals in clothing selections that are less than adorable...


Sometimes our kids beg for no more pictures and wiggle until we let them run free....


Sometimes our perfectly behaved  children stick their tongues out at the camera or make very un-perfect faces.


Sometimes our daughter doesn't keep her dress down when we take pictures of her alone...


Sometimes (or every time) our kids fight when we attempt to get a "perfect" picture of them together....






 Sometimes they are over family pictures and sometimes I look like a crazy lady by the last few attempts...


When I look back on this season of our life, I am confident these are the pictures I will love most. The real ones. The ones of us doing our perfectly imperfect life together.

The fact is, our family is far from perfect, our lives are far from perfect, and we are really crazy, flawed individuals.

 Tomorrow I will post some sweet pictures of our family from today, but just know that this is really what our Easter looked like....a bunch of crazy, imperfect sinners celebrating a perfect, holy, risen God. Thankfully, He loves and gave His life for us despite our flaws and imperfections. For that, I'm incredibly grateful!!

Happy Easter!!

15 comments:

Linds said...

this is awesome. And SO what every photo shoot with any preschoolers looks like. Thanks for showing the real pictures behind the ones that come out good :)

Charity said...

I laughed, because this is the same problem I have with my 2 yr old nephew. he lives 3 states away from me, so when i do get to see him i'm striving for that perfect framer of a picture. when in reality, taking a picture with him is like wrestling an octopus!

Meg said...

I LOVE this. Thee end

Christi said...

Love this! For years I wanted perfect family photos. I probably looked stressed or pushy to get them, I was definitely exhausted after them. Now, i just love looking back at all the pictures and remembering those days because time is flying by. Now I laugh at what kids wore or didn't wear. Of course, if I get a picture these days they always get to do a silly picture, too!
We are blessed to have our families and all the pictures.

Kyndal said...

I could not love this post more. Happy Easter to your perfectly imperfect gorgeous family! :)

Ashlynn said...

This is so refreshing!! I tried SO hard to get a great photo today and asked my husband, "WHY is this so hard?!!" I got so frustrated. Then I realized, my babies are one and almost four. They can't possibly be still yet. You are right, these are the pictures we probably will look back on and love the most :) You have a beautiful family!

Susan said...

This is so reality! I know it firsthand! Happy Easter!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

I love this so much. This is us. And I've just stopped trying because someone always ends up crying and throwing a fit because they don't want to stop playing or don't want to stand by their brother. They're real, imperfect little boys. And we're real, imperfect parents. :) love this post!

kimmie said...

This is so our family! I loved this!

Carrie77 said...

Love these :) Yes, you have to weed out 200 photos to get the 5 golden ones. :)

Rachel said...

Jenn, I loved this post so much! I'm bookmarking it to share with my girlfriends. Happy Easter, Francis Family!!

Kelly said...

This made me laugh. It is sooooo my life. We got some sweet pics on Easter but it took about 25487 pics to get them and me sweating and hollering. ha! I love the outtakes too!!!

KHeath said...

love this!!!

lifewiththebs said...

Love these "real" pictures! We have many, many pictures like this. Yesterday, we got a great family picture on the first and only try. I was shocked!

Alex and Jill said...

hahahaha!! I love this and love you! This has to be the life of every parent with little ones. If mine are standing still, I'm counting it as a perfect pic. We have lots of action shots. ;)

I love the facial expressions in all of these pictures. So funny!