Tuesday, March 19, 2013

jillian's first haircut

Our sweet little kids woke-up at 7:00 this morning. After lots of cuddles in bed and a couple shows on Netflix, I got up and fixed their breakfast and then headed to the bathroom to get ready. This is our daily routine.

What wasn't normal about the routine was that I walked out of our room about 30 minutes later to find a lot of my office supplies on my desk. I asked the kids what they had been doing and why my things were out. Brody said they had been cutting some things on the floor behind the couch. I assumed he meant paper, but to my surprise he did not....


This bag of hair greeted me as I rounded the corner. My first thought was that it was Brody's hair from his first haircut. I have it saved it plastic bag just like this in his baby book. Suddenly, I remembered that he couldn't reach his baby book and I started to panic. I knew the hair was Jillian's!!!

I paused for a second in my complete freak-out moment to acknowledge that Brody had nicely saved her pretty little curls in a bag for me. One positive in this situation, right? :)

I quickly got the story on exactly what happened. I don't usually leave scissors within reach, but had left a pair in my desk drawer for the past couple of weeks. Regardless, this is something that he definitely knew he should not do and obviously made a poor choice that had some tough consequences for him and for Jillian's hair. 

This is the end result of the cut. Thankfully it doesn't look drastically different from how it looked before the cut. Just a little shorter all over. 


I asked her how she felt when Brody cut her hair and she made her sad face. It's totally fake, as I am sure she was loving the sneaky adventure with him. 


This section here at the top seems to be the worst. He basically cut it to the scalp. This will be a little weird growing out, but it's just hair and it will eventually grow.


Even though I probably didn't react as calmly as I should have, I was able to stop and be thankful for a few things: 

1. He didn't cut that much of her hair. I am SOOO thankful for that! And hair grows back. Easy fix! :)
2. He cleaned-up his own mess and saved the hair for me. It makes the story even more memorable.
3. He was genuinely sorry and I think this will be his one and only hair cutting experience.
4. We have yet another hilarious story to look back on and laugh at one day.
5. If this is the worst thing going on at our house today, then we are VERY blessed!

And for the best part of the story...

When I got on my laptop to blog these pictures, photo booth was pulled-up and this is what I found (our kids love photo booth so it's not uncommon for me to find pictures on there)....

oh.my.goodness.

And that just sums-up our morning!! I love these two crazy kids so much! 

Have a great Tuesday! 

21 comments:

Lisa Cheney said...

That picture is hilarious! I remember the easter bunny bringing my sister and I kiddy scissors one year. Mine were elephant, hers were birds. We were up before our parents. We both got haircuts. It wasn't pretty! HA!

Superchikk said...

Oh my! I love that she's the one holding the scissors in the picture!

I'm laughing, but I know my day's coming!

Julie said...

Love this post! My brother cut off ALL of my hair when I was 5!

Jennifer said...

That last picture is the funniest of them all. I am sure you just had to crack up at that moment!

Dianna said...

oh my gosh that last picture could give you a heart attack!!! Makes you realize it could have been much worse!

Lauren said...

I know you didn't think so at the moment, but this is just HILARIOUS!!!!!!! Those two cuties sure do keep you on your toes!!! :) HAHA!!

Ashley said...

Hilarious!! The bag of hair put it over the top! Love it. :)

Hillary said...

That last pictures has me rolling. Kids of bloggers know they should document ;) So funny! Glad you lived through it - I think it's like some sort of rite of passage..I dread my turn!

Lauren & Eddie said...

I am sure it was stressful and annoying, but I LOVE this story. Pretty precious! And you're right, it could have been much, much worse.

Renae said...

LOL! Oh my-well thankfull they didn't end up cutting or hurting each other by accident...Kids will be kids!!!

The Niemeyer Nest said...

You are the calmest Mama ever! Jillian still looks precious. You are right - it could have been so much worse. Be sure to visit my blog for a chance to win a pair of Seychelles earrings by Stella & Dot.

Christy said...

Oh my goodness!!! I love Julian's facial expression when you asked her how she felt.

Mom of the Twinkies and Tot! said...

I thought this was a funny post because it's totally something I imagine catching my own kids doing, but then it turned HILARIOUS with that picture as evidence! I cannot believe they caught their act on camera!!!

mariel said...

this story is so funny, sweet, scary and hilarious all at the same time! the picture is the best and it totally reminded me of the pictures at the end of the hangover movies. it will be such a good story to tell for years to come!

Katie said...

That last picture is HILARIOUS! Oh my. Love it. So thankful no one was hurt. Love that Brody put the hair in the bag, too.

So excited for your sister!

Nancy said...

Julee to the rescue!!

A Wedding Story said...

Just priceless!!

acweisman said...

The last picture reminds me oh the movie Hangover. Seriously too funny. Glad no one was hurt in the action.

brittany parrott said...

That last picture made me laugh out loud!! HILARIOUS!!!!

Rachel said...

I'm sure you weren't laughing too hard when this all went down, but man....I'm cracking up reading this! Your two kiddos are hilarious. That picture of Jillian's sad face is too funny!

Ceeb said...

there's another thing to be glad about and that's that neither of them were hurt!
They are quite funny characters judging by the story and the pics (adorable!) but it could have gone tragic. remember that when you put your scissors away in a safe place.