Sunday, February 24, 2013

school paperwork organization

This past fall, Brody began PreK. Along with all the excitement and new experiences came a whole lot of paperwork and artwork! I knew that this was only the beginning of the papers, so I decided to get a system that would allow me to keep the paper clutter under control as well as keep some of my favorite pieces from each school year. 


For the past couple of years of MDO, I had used a binder with clear protective sleeves to keep special papers. After filling-up a binder, I realized that wasn't going to be a very effective method for keeping papers, so I turned to the most logical answer...stuff an empty desk drawer! :) This has been where school papers have been collecting for the past couple of months. I know you are so impressed. Ha!


I really wanted to get the drawer cleaned out, as well as find a much better system for filing papers. I found this great method on I {Heart} Organization

I took a clear file box and filled it with 16 hanging files. I made labels for MDO, PreK 3, PreK 4, and then K-12. As you can see, there is plenty of room in the box for it to expand throughout the years. I know the paperwork will get less as the kids get older. 


I then sorted through all the papers I had been saving and wrote notes on special papers that may later need an explanation. For instance, this was one of the first papers Brody brought home the week they learned to cut with scissors. He was SO proud of how he had cut the snowflakes out. I always want to remember that, so hopefully the little note at the bottom will help me remember. 


I plan to add a "First Day" picture from each year to the front of the folders as well as school year, school, teacher, etc. Just a little info to help us remember each year. I love that these boxes are so manageable and take-up very little space. Brody and Jillian each have their boxes on a shelf in the top of their closets. Each week when I clean out backpacks, I just file away any special papers or artwork we want to keep. It's so manageable, and my drawer is now being used for something else! :)


Don't forget to come back tomorrow and link-up with us for the Clean-It challenge! It can be anything you have cleaned or organized lately! 

I hope you have had a great weekend

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Jennifer I love this idea! Thanks for sharing! I currently have a file that I am collecting all the papers in, but this is just 3 year old preschool! I will have to create this soon!

Thanks!

Erin and Ryan said...

I love this idea! When we have kids this will be a must :)

The Remodeled Life said...

Paper work can be the death of me sometimes! haha, love this! Thanks for hosting!

Kristy said...

Thank you for sharing - this will be something I will be doing in the next few weeks! :)

DustyandBrooke said...

Jennifer, I've never commented but love reading your blog. Love the idea of pictures and info ON the folders! I saw this idea and wanted to share...you may have seen on Pinterest. Buy a copy of Dr. Seuss' "Oh, the Places You'll Go" and have each teacher sign the book each year and let it be a graduation present one day. Just thought it was a really sweet idea!

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

You've inspired me to get on my stash of papers!