Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice

You read the title and gagged a little, right? I was skeptical, too! My friend, Courtney, has recently been on a mission to get healthy. She and her husband are workout enthusiast these days and she is also cooking extremely healthy meals for their family. One thing she keeps cooking is cauliflower rice. Her entire family loves it...even their 2 little kids! I decided I had to try it and I gave ours a little twist by making it cilantro lime cauliflower rice! 

 Ingredients: 

1 head of cauliflower
1/2 of a small onion, diced (optional)
1 tbsp of olive oil
salt and peper to taste
chili powder, cumin, paprika to taste
juice from 1/2 lime
handful of chopped cilantro

Wash cauliflower and remove core and leaves. Cut the head of cauliflower into small chunks and add to food processor. (Your kitchen will smell awful at this point, but hang in there!!)


Pulse until it's small and the texture of rice. (Now your kitchen will smell even worse. It's almost over!) 


Heat olive oil in a large skillet over. Add onion and sauté until tender. Then, add cauliflower from food processor. Stir for about 7-10 minutes, until cauliflower is a little browned on outside but tender on inside. Season with salt and pepper. 

At this point you have made basic cauliflower rice. To make cilantro lime cauliflower rice, season rice with a little chili powder, paprika and cumin. I just sprinkled a little of each over the top. Stir and remove from pan to serving bowl. Squeeze juice from 1/2 lime over the rice and add chopped cilantro. Stir and serve. 


Josh and I had this with enchiladas. We LOVED the taste and texture of the cauliflower rice. It has a similar texture as couscous. It was SO good! The kids loved it and ate it alone in a bowl as their main dish with fruit and yogurt as a side. My kids are not a fan of vegetables, but they ate every bit of this!! There is no way they would eat cauliflower if it was steamed or even if it was covered in cheese sauce. It was a victory moment when they had empty bowls! :)

Brody even gave it 2 thumbs up! 

Happy Tuesday!! 

6 comments:

Charlie's Mommy (Beth) said...

Cauliflower must be the rage these days as I am seeing so many recipes. This looks great...will have to try this! Since Brody gave it two thumbs up, I am optimistic my girls will like it.

Jewell said...

Many thanks for the recipe. We have been substituting pureed cauliflower for potatoes for quite awhile and it is getting boring. I just steam it until it is very soft, throw it in the food processor with a little bit of sour cream and puree until it is creamy, then add a pinch of salt and alot of black pepper. I am now excited to try the "rice"!!!

Lindsey said...

Oh YAY! I am always looking for more recipes to use cilantro in. I always end up throwing some much away because I can't use it all before it goes bad. I will be trying this for sure! My kids are huge veggie fans so I know they will love this too.

Rosemary said...

Sounds delicious. Can't wait to try it.

Meredith Salmon said...

It is so funny that I just read this because I was watching The Pioneer Woman this afternoon and she cooked exactly what you blogged about. She made enchiladas with rice very similar to what you described. Too funny! Maybe I should make it. :)

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

This sounds so interesting! I have substitured cauliflower in for potatoes for awhile but never thought to create rice out of it! Neat idea.