Thursday, January 10, 2013

we moved!!!

I've been a complete blog slacker lately, and with good reason. We moved!!! This whole process started back in August and we could not be happier that we are finally starting to get settled into our new house. 

In the summer of 2011, we started looking at houses. We had outgrown our little 3 bedroom house way faster than we had planned and were ready for some more space. We found a couple of houses we really liked, but never really had a peace about buying at that time.

Fast forward to this past summer. More looking, more negotiating, nothing happening. Then, at the end of August, one of the houses we really liked in the summer of 2011 came back on the market. We went back and looked at it again...which was the 3rd time we had looked at this particular house. We knew we wanted it. We made an offer, and after some negotiating, they accepted and that got the ball rolling!

We put our house on the market in the middle of September. After only 5 weeks, we had a contract on it! We actually received 2 offers on the same weekend. We were very blessed to sell so quickly. I am so thankful for how quickly the house sold for many reasons, but one of the main reasons was that keeping a house "show ready" with 2 little helpers was a job! Not to mention we were in the house all day, everyday so I felt like I constantly cleaned. I think we had about 15-20 showings in that short amount of time.

So many funny things happened in those 5 weeks. So many nights of eating out because we had showings during dinnertime. So many afternoons of mopping and dusting while the kids napped.

Our original closing date on both houses was December 5th. We were able to start the moving process into our new-to-us house on the weekend of December 1st. We spent that weekend painting and cleaning. Josh's parents and my parents where HUGE helps that weekend! We seriously could not have done it without them. I am so thankful for all their hard work. I already had a commitment (sweet Preslee's birthday party) that Saturday of moving weekend, so I a was gone the entire day. Josh and our parents worked so hard and helped so much so that I could still go down to the party. I am so thankful for all they got done that day.

Josh and I doing a little teamwork ceiling and wall dusting! :)


Josh's dad painting the living room. 


My dad painted Jillian's room from green to a more neutral. 



And painted Brody's room from orange to a much more neutral grey.


We moved the 2nd-4th. Since we didn't move far, we decided to move ourselves and use a trailer. Oh my!! That was fun! :) I'm so thankful for the help of our families, Jill's husband, Brandon, and our friends, Ryan and Adam. We would have never gotten moved without their help!

It was quite a mess around here for days!!


We should have closed the 5th, but there was a delay in some paperwork on our buyers side of things. Absolutely nothing that they could have controlled, but it caused the closing to be delayed 3 weeks. We were happy to be able to spend Christmas in our new house, so us moving when we did work out for us, although, I wouldn't recommend moving at Christmastime. Ha! Our tree might not have gone up until December 18th. And I didn't send out a Christmas card.

We were finally able to close 2 weeks ago! It was bittersweet to finalize the selling of our first home. We loved that house and we love the memories we made in that home. We came home from our honeymoon to that house and brought our babies home from the hospital to that house. It's hard to walk away from something that holds so much joy!

I was reminded during this experience about the Lord's timing and His faithfulness in our lives. We are thankful for this fun new blessing and look forward to lots of lots of wonderful memories in this house! 

And maybe if I can get it looking more like a home and less like I mess, I will share some pictures with you all! :)

24 comments:

Day Old News said...

Congrats on the new home! What a fun way to start the new year.

Megan Biddle said...

Wonderful news! Congrats!

The Morgans said...

We are going through the exact same thing!! Makes for quite an entertaining life when you add 2 little ones into the mix :). The Lord knew exactly how much I could handle, because our house sold in 15 days! I'll be praying for your sweet family as you settle into your new place.

Sarah said...

Congratulations! Moving at Christmas is so stressful! We just did it too! Can't wait to see pictures.

Traci said...

So great when you can see God's hand in everything! Can't wait to see more pics. It looks like a great house.

Jessica said...

We moved into our new house Dec 6th! I have said a million times since that I will never. Move curing Christmas again. Still trying to figure out how I want to decorate everything. Can't wait to see your finished.

Linds said...

congrats! That pic of you and Josh painting is hilarious!

I love how the Lord moves His hand so smoothly through things that are just meant to be. That's how I felt with our house transition last year. The only way to describe the entire thing start to finish was that it was the Lord. Hope you are settling in smoothly as well!

Leslie Lambert said...

Can't wait to see more...it looks beautiful!

Kimberly said...

cant wait to see it.

Renae said...

Congrats on your new home! What a wonderful way to start off a New Year!

Taylor said...

Congratulations!! That's so exciting and I can't wait to see more pictures!

Superchikk said...

Yay! So excited y'all are finally in and getting settled. Wanna come help me move next month? Then we'd have FOUR little helpers! Ha!

And that picture of you on Josh's shoulders totally cracked me up. That's something we would do, too. ;)

Julie Rogers said...

Congratulations!!!!! SOOO exciting---I know the feeling of outgrowing a house:) I bet you are SO excited about everything!

Julie
www.thechirpingmoms.com

Nancy said...

So exciting! I love your positive attitude!!
Happy Homecoming!

Elenie Counts said...

Yay! How exciting :)

The Niemeyer Nest said...

Very exciting! I am thrilled for you.

Emily said...

Congratulations!! Very exciting and an awesome start to a new year!

Amy said...

Congrats you guys!! I can't wait to see photos. We're in the middle of building a house and the suspense of being able to finally move in and get settled is driving me nuts!

Love from Texas said...

This is SO exciting!! I love the wood floors in Jillian's room and Brody's look like the same color as Knox's (Oxford Gray), I love it! ...Hope things are settling down a little bit for y'all. Can't wait to see an official tour! :)

Amy said...

How excited! We put our home on the market late last spring and after 16 days we got an offer. I totally know what you mean by keeping a house clean and show ready. I had 5 kids, a dog and a daycare to control! Its exciting and so much work to move. So happy you had a place for Christmas. Can't wait to see more pictures.

Ashley Barnhill said...

Congratulations!!!

Romana Priolo said...

The transactions are all over - now comes the fun part! It’s so cute to look at you and Josh cleaning together there. :D And from that angle, it definitely seems like the room is spacious. I’m sure a lot of home projects are going down for that. How many rooms does it have again? -->Romana Priolo

Stasia Delatorre said...

Those past months have been quite exciting for you and your family. I know how hard it is to move. Good thing the new home wasn’t that far from your new place, which made everything quite easy and you didn’t need to hire a moving company. I hope you finally got settled in by now. Good luck to this new chapter of your family life!

>Stasia Delatorre

Elias Madden said...

Aww, what you said at the last part was so touching. Don’t worry, Jennifer; I’m sure that by the time you have settled in, you’ll create exciting memories in your new home. Actually, just the memory of moving in with the help of family and friends is already something to be treasured. =)

Regards,
Elias Madden