Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Locked-In!

Yesterday started out like any normal morning at our house until Brody decided to make the morning a little more exciting! He and Jillian had been in our room and as they were both leaving, Brody locked our bedroom door and pulled it closed behind him. This wouldn’t have been that big of a deal had he not left his sister inside the locked room! :)

I heard her knocking on the door and thought she was just being silly. She can easily open doors, so I figured she would come out within a few seconds. After about a minute, she started whining and I realized what had happened. I hopped up in a chair to reach the little door key that was supposed to be above our door and realized it was missing. I tried other resources to open the door. It’s not a pop lock, so whatever I used was going to have to turn the lock to unlock it. This made it a little tricky! Little flat-head screw driver…too big to fit in the little lock hole. Wire hanger…didn’t work. Bobby pins…in our bathroom, so I couldn’t get to them.  After quickly exhausting my resources, I called Josh. I was just calling for him to suggest something else for me to use to open the door, but he insisted that he come home to help get her out.

We patiently waited for daddy to get home! By this point, Brody felt terrible that Jillian was stuck in the room, so he just laid in the floor next to the door and talked to her.

DSC_0005 (640x428)

She kept sticking her hand out from under the door so we that could hold it, so Brody laid there while she held his hand. Sweet brother!

DSC_0006 (640x428)

After about 20 minutes, daddy arrived home and rescued her! She was SO excited to see him and we were SO excited to see her! :)

DSC_0009 (429x640)

Josh ended-up opening the door by just twisting it as hard as he could. It took him several tries. He also had to wear my little pink silicone pig pot holder so that he could get a good grip on the door. :)

DSC_0011 (640x428)

Jillian did really well the entire 30 minutes she was stuck in the room. She only cried a couple of times and mainly stayed by the door so we could talk to her. I would occasionally hear her running around the room laughing!

There’s never a dull moment at our house with our two kiddos! :)

18 comments:

Mallory said...

I had to laugh at the part where they held hands and Brody felt bad! Too sweet!!!

Brittney said...

Oh my! That happens A LOT here (usually without the kids on the other side of the door). I use a butter knife to get mine open!

Juli Pittman Skelton said...

My niece has that exact outfit. She had it on today while I kept her!!!!

momMYsliceoflife said...

Oh my gosh! My kids have locked the door to my bedroom several times, but never when they were IN it. She's such a brave girl!!

Emily said...

Such a funny story.... glad she was safe and no harm done. This is just precious!

Not So Newlyweds said...

So glad everything turned out okay. Love that Brody was such a sweet big brother!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

This made me giggle :) Your kids are so funny. Glad she got out quickly and before destroying your room ;)

Its Me Again Margaret said...

Oh this is priceless! They are both so darn cute!

Amanda said...

Ohhh nooo! How sweet is Brody! It was nice Jillian didn't cry much! I am sure you were nervous!!! Never a dull moment for sure!!!
P.s my hubby works at hunt too!! I noticed Josh's badge. Amelia plays with Deric's badge all the time. We have lost it a few times!! Lol

Linds said...

oh my goodness. how funny! Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Connor would get into everything and think it was hilarious I couldn't get to him, and Brayden would care less if he locked his brother in a room (in fact, he's done it before and not even blinked an eye!).

Nancy said...

Her Daddy is her hero! I love it!
So glad all was well in the end :)

aria alianza said...

haha this is so funny

where do you get jillian's bows ?

Love from Texas said...

Oh my gosh! I love the part about her sticking her little hand under the door. This is totally something that would happen in our house... Yay for Daddy saving the day!!!

Dianna said...

I am glad y'all got her out without any issues. I must say the pictures and story made me laugh a little.

Alyssa said...

Glad everything turned out alright! My son once locked himself in the bathroom when he was 2 while playing hide and seek with his sister. He was out pretty quickly. But the time I let him play with my car keys while I strapped him in his carseat, and then closed the door and went around the get in was a bigger ordeal. He pressed the lock button. I had to find a neighbor that was home to call my mom to bring our spare, then had to call to find out our security code because we'd forgotten it. All turned out well, but those things sure can scare you!

Charlie's Mommy said...

I have to laugh at this scenario because this has happened many times at our house. We learned to leave the little "key" in the same spot.

Funny story....we had to reverse the lock on Charlie's door. When we would put in her in time out (meaning, go to her room for a quick time out), she would immediately lock the door from the inside...so she was locking us out!! We decided to reverse the door lock so it locks from the outside. Do you know that our child will lock herself in her room to this day? We hear whining and see hands under the door. I have to chuckle sometimes!!

Lauren said...

Oh my goodness, so funny and sweet at the same time seeing Brody hold her hand!!!! Love those two!

Debbie said...

We turned Cman's door handle around when he was a toddler so he couldn't lock himself in his room. Of course, that backfired one night when I was rocking him to sleep and G comes in to say goodnight. Yep. He locked the door --- with all of us locked in it, no phones, and no unlock key:) Fortunately, we were rescued in about an hour or so. There are extra unlock keys now available:) Glad Jillian was okay. How about Momma?