Sunday, July 1, 2012

Bible Verse Memorization

 I'm not a great mom in a lot of areas, but one area that I hope my children always know I tried my hardest in is the area of teaching them about God and about the His word. I started helping Brody memorize Bible verses before he was 2, and I recently started trying with Jillian as well. Our Director of Preschool Ministries at our church is one of my very good friends and she constantly reminds me that our children are little sponges. They just soak-up so much at such young ages! 

Yes, I know that at this age Jillian isn't going to say every word of every verse. She has a limited vocabulary like most children her age. What I do hope we accomplish by teaching her verses is that she is able to hide these verses in her heart and that as she grows she is able to recall the verses she learned as a child. Even verses she learned as a 21 month old. 

Here is a video from my phone of Jillian's attempt at Proverbs 31:30. We started working on this verse a few weeks ago. She's done pretty well for her age!


Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. 
Proverbs 31:30



My favorite part is that she says "booty" instead of beauty. :) 

Also, a little bribery goes a long way in teaching my children new things. Hence the need for juice as soon as she finished. We don't give her juice too often, so it was her reward this particular evening. I'm obviously a work in progress, especially when it comes to parenting techniques! :) 

Hope you all are having a great weekend!! 

5 comments:

Kelly said...

That's awesome Jennifer! What an inspiration you are to me - so convicting that I need to do more of that! Thanks for the reminder!

momMYsliceoflife said...

Oh my gosh! That's sweetest thing ever!

Kati @ "along for the ryde..." said...

Thank you for sharing that with us! That is the sweetest thing...& encourages me to pick out a few verses to start to teach my little man--b/c they aren't TOO young...You're such a sweet Mama! =)

Miller Family said...

That is so awesome! She does talk so well also! I have a boy that turned 21 months this Monday. He has no where near that vocabulary! So precious!

Faith said...

You are such a good mama! I love this and it is a reminder to me how important it is to teach my girls His Word. I wish we were closer so I could learn even more from you!!