Friday, May 18, 2012

Chicken Berry Salad with candied walnuts

I’m not a fan of spending a ton of time in the kitchen in the spring and summer with the weather is so nice outside. I would much rather spend our evenings in the backyard with the kids! We grill a lot during this time each year and I also make a lot of salads. One night this week, I made chicken berry salad. When I was in college, my sister and I would always meet for lunch at a restaurant in our hometown on weekends I would come home and we would both order chicken berry salads. They have since become a favorite in our family!

DSC_0012 (640x428)
Ingredients:
Mixed salad greens
Sliced strawberries
Blueberries
Feta or goat cheese
Grilled Chicken (I used rotisserie chicken breasts because it was much easier and faster.)
Walnuts
Sugar for coating walnuts
Poppy Seed Dressing

I am a little obsessed right now with candied almonds and walnuts on salads. They are SO good!! I added a 1/2 cup of halved walnuts to a skillet, added a tablespoon (or a little more) of sugar stirred continually until the sugar melted and coated the walnuts. Then I poured them onto a paper towel and let cool for a couple of minutes before adding to the salad so that they wouldn’t stick together. Super easy! There are fancier ways to do this in the oven, but this way takes about 2 minutes and the walnuts taste great!
Happy Friday!

14 comments:

Rachel said...

YUM that looks fabulous! The perfect summer salad...we will definitely be making this soon! Thanks for posting...happy weekend to you and yours!

Mrs. Williams said...

Looks Yummy!!! I'm always up for trying out a new recipe. Looks like I'll add this one to my list. Thanks for sharing.

Ashley said...

I was just thinking something like this sounded so good! Thanks for the recipe!

The Allens said...

Yum!!!!

Erin O. said...

Thanks. Can't wait to try!!

Brittany said...

I eat the Chicken Berry Salad at Ricks!

Katie said...

Looks delicious! I love grilling out and salads in the spring and summer, too. ; )

HILARIOUS about Brody and the wheelchair ride!!

Jen S. said...

YUMMM! This salad looks and sounds SO GOOD!
I can't wait to make it. Thanks for sharing! :)

The Wallace Family said...

This sounds so good! I love summery salads and I was always wondering how to sugar coat walnuts! Thanks for sharing will have to try this:)

Deb said...

I bought the ingredients and made it today. It was wonderful! Thanks for posting.

Andrea said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! I made it yesterday evening, and it did not disappoint!

Andrea said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! I made it last night for dinner, and it did not disappoint!

The Boburka Family said...

I agree with not wanting to cook during inside during the spring/summer. I'd love to eat a salad every night, but always worry about my 2 year old. He won't eat salad. What do you make the kids when it's a salad night?

LME said...

I just ordered the almond berry salad at Wendy's and it reminded me of this post. It comes with the raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing and it's really good. You may want to try it just to switch things up. I will have to try the poppy seed dressing because I have never had it before. Have a great rest of the week!