Friday, April 13, 2012

Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies

These are some of my very favorite cookies! I made them this afternoon for a college ministry event at our church tonight and I thought I would share the recipe. This is a Paula Deen recipe. Hence the word “butter” being in the name! :) You can make these with any cake mix flavor. These are also great when made with red velvet cake mix! Enjoy!

DSC_0310 (640x428)

Ingredients
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
1   (18 ounce) box moist chocolate cake mix
1   (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
1   egg
1   stick of butter, room temperature

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg. Then beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in the cake mix. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls. Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in confectioner’s sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and gooey. Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners’ sugar, if desired.

11 comments:

Summer said...

Oh how I love me some Paula Deen! I want to try these with red velvet cake! Oh yum!!!

Alyssa said...

I've always made these with a yellow cake mix. Might have to try it with chocolate, now! Thanks!

Laura said...

Yummy. Thanks for the recipe and my husband thanks you in advance:)

The Niemeyer Nest said...

Oh my, those look divine! I need to make some this weekend. Your pumpkin muffins were my favorite fall treat - maybe these will be my new dessert to take to new moms. I LOVE all your recipes. Thanks for sharing!

Ashley said...

I used to make her chocolate gooey butter cake ALL the time, so I definitely need to try these! But, today, I've got the Pioneer Woman's Tres Leches cake on the menu. :)

lane, kelli and the boys said...

I've never been able to make good cookies, but these sound easy enough and oh so yummy!

Elizabeth said...

YUM! Definitely going to have to try this recipe! Thanks!!

Courtney said...

I found these cookies a few years ago and they are my favorite cookies to make. They are always a hit at the party.

Jennifer said...

I just made these with my 2 1/2 year old son... We can not wait to surprise daddy with them when he gets home from work!! :-) Thanks for the recipe!!

Ansleighsmom said...

I made these this week and they were a huge hit! thanks so much!

Leslie said...

I am making these for the 3rd time since you posted this...yes, to take other places, BUT STILL(I need an intervention! HA)...I am trying a butter pecan cake mix today for teachers from my son's school!