Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rainy Day Fun

It was rainy and cold here yesterday! Thankfully, we didn’t have any plans for the day. I always look forward to Wednesdays because it is one of our only mornings at home during the week. The kids and I spent the entire day in our pajamas playing and hanging out!

We spent the majority of the morning in Jillian’s room cooking and baking with her play kitchen.

DSC_0142 (640x427)

Brody had gotten out one of my cheese graters to use while he cooked. He pulled it apart and said, “Look Mom, it looks like a backhoe!” He was right! Creative little guy!

DSC_0150 (640x428)

Working hard in his sister’s pink kitchen! :)

DSC_0167 (428x640)

After cooking, Brody gave Jillian a stroller ride in her baby doll stroller! Ha!

DSC_0164 (640x428)

Once Jillian went down for her morning nap, Brody and I put the ingredients for dinner in the crockpot!

DSC_0176 (640x428)

Then, I did some laundry and Brody obsessively washed his hands for about 30 minutes. This is his new thing! He loves to wash his hands, fill the sink with water until it almost overflows, then play in the water. I have to stick my head in every minute or so to make sure there isn’t a flood in the bathroom!

DSC_0183 (640x428)

After lunch, we had a special little visitor! Preslee came over with her momma for a little while for our first play date! Brody and Jillian loved having her at our house! Jillian really loves her and thinks she her own little baby doll! :) I have several more pictures to share, so I am going to do a separate post for them! How sweet are these 3 together?

DSC_0185 (640x428)

That afternoon Brody was wearing his argyle socks (they obviously matched his jersey so well) and he suddenly came up to me crying. When I asked him what was wrong he said, “I don’t want to wear these socks anymore. These socks are lazy!!!'” I have no idea what he was talking about, but it sure was funny!

IMG_8850

After Josh got home from work, we ate chicken taco rice bowls, which was my easy crockpot meal from earlier in the day! I included the recipe at the bottom of this post. It was so easy and SOOO good! I found the recipe on my friend, Amy’s blog, and she found the recipe here!

IMG_4655

Josh and I ended our night at small group! My friend, Holly, made these amazing Snickers surprise cupcakes. They were seriously so good and such a great way to end a fun, easy day!

IMG_3751

Taco Chicken Rice Bowl

1.5 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts

16 oz. jar salsa

1 can ranch style black beans (I had regular ranch style beans, so I just used those instead)

1/2lb frozen corn (I forgot to buy this, but will definitely add it next time)

1 tbsp chili powder

1/2 tbsp cumin

1/2 tbsp minced garlic

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1/4 tsp salt

STEP 1: Add all ingredients to the slow cooker along with 1/4 cup of water (for good measure). Give everything a good stir and make sure the chicken is covered in the mixture.
STEP 2: Secure the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hrs.
STEP 3: Near the end of the cooking time, cook two cups of rice according to the package directions.
STEP 4: After 8 hours of cooking, carefully remove the lid of the slow cooker. Stir with a fork to shred the chicken (it should be super tender and will shred easily). Build the taco bowls by placing rice on the bottom, then the taco chicken mix, shredded cheese and fresh cilantro.

Hope you all have a great day!

10 comments:

Liz said...

I love your every day "day" posts. They are my favorite! And what was up with that socks comment? Too funny!!

Jessica said...

Recipe looks good! Maybe Brody meant his socks were crazy? Ha! : )

JESSICA said...

Those cookies look so delish!

Maybe he meant his socks were lazy because they don't want to stay up. They are sagging. Smart boy knew what he was saying...DUH, Mom! ;)

jamieliz said...

Hi Jennifer, can you tell us what ranch style beans are? I haven't heard of those! Recipe looks delicious!

Carrie said...

Love crock pot dinners and this looks very easy. Thanks for posting, I printed it off and will make it very soon!

Josh and Maggie said...

I made that exact recipe just the other day! My husband loved it!

Alex and Jill said...

I'm going to have to try that recipe...looks/sounds yummy!

Love the pic of B pushing his sister in the stroller and a boy that OCD about washing his hands...man after my own heart. LOL

MeganAnne said...

maybe lazy socks = ones that keep falling down? :) love the way kids' minds work.

Sarah-Anne said...

Hahaha, Bridge cracks me up! Looks like y'all had such a FUN day :)

Sarah said...

How adorable that he thought they were lazy socks....i bet they fall down more than his other socks and he didn't like that feeling...so since they wouldn't stay up and do their job, they were lazy! What a sweet boy!