Saturday, January 28, 2012

Our Friday in iPhone Pictures

Brody and I started our morning early snuggling on the couch and watching Play House Disney. Brody wore this mixing bowl on his head while we watched tv. He acted like this was a completely normal thing to wear on your head! :)

IMG_9847 (640x640)

After Jillian woke-up, we all went into Brody’s room to play and read books for most of the morning. I read this Noah Ark’s hand-puppet board book to Jillian at least 20 times this morning. She loves it! These types of books are so cute and fun for little ones!

IMG_9859 (479x640)

Jillian went down for a quick morning nap and I got my car packed with meals for our freezer meal swap. We ended up with 10 meals for this coming month. I’m excited about all the new recipes, and of course, I’m most excited about 10 nights off of cooking! I made Erin’s Bow Tie Fiesta Pasta and Joelen’s Pesto Chicken Stuffed Shells for the swap. (I included the recipes at the bottom of this post.)

IMG_0712 (640x478)

Around 10:30, I woke Jillian up from her nap and loaded the kids in the car. Jillian took a monster truck and a baby doll with her in the car today! Our rough and tough girly girl! :)

IMG_3917 (478x640)

We swapped meals and then met Lisa, Sara, and their kids at Sam’s to eat lunch. Lisa is having her 3rd baby next Friday, so we enjoyed her last Friday out for a few weeks!

IMG_5342 (640x477)

We made a stop at Target and then came home so the kiddos could nap.

Last night, we went to dinner and bowling with my family to celebrate my mom’s birthday.

IMG_2187 (640x478)

My sweet guy and me!

IMG_5424 (640x478)

I wore this purple shirt, jeans and leopard shoes and Brody told me several times that he didn’t like what I was wearing and that I needed to change clothes before we left the house. Nothing like a 3 year old’s honest opinion, even when you don’t ask for it. :)

Here are the recipes I used for the meal swap! Try them! They are both sooo good!

Bow Tie Fiesta
Recipe from Blue Eyed Bride

Ingredients:
8 ounces bow tie pasta
1 pound ground beef
½ onion, chopped
½ green bell pepper, chopped
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
Salt to taste
1 cup sour cream
1 cup salsa
½ cup sliced black olives
¼ cup sliced jalapenos (optional)
1 tomato, chopped
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions:Cook the pasta using package directions and cooking for 7 minutes; drain. Brown the beef in a skillet, stirring until crumbly; drain. Add the onion and green pepper and mix well. Cook until the onion is tender, stirring constantly. Stir in the tomato sauce, chili powder, and salt. Combine the pasta, ground beef mixture, sour cream, salsa, black olives, jalapenos, and tomato in a bowl and mix well. Spoon into a 9×11-inch or 9×9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.

Pesto Chicken Stuffed Shells
Recipe from What’s Cookin’, Chicago?

12-16 jumbo pasta shells
water for boiling pasta
4oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese + 1/4 cup for topping
3 tablespoons prepared pesto (homemade or store bought)
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot over high heat, boil water and prepare pasta shells as directed on package. Cook pasta shells only until al dente. The pasta will finish cooking when the dish is baked. Drain the pasta shells and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients, except the 1/4 cup of cheese for the topping. Fill the pasta shells with the filling and place in a baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese over filled shells.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake shells uncovered for 30 minutes or until shells are bubbling hot and cheese melts.

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Leah said...

That is too funny about the comments on your outfit, Perri is the same way!! I have this one dress and she ALWAYS tells me I look like Lady Gaga?!?! #1 don't think she's ever seen Lady Gaga, and #2 it definitely isn't made of raw meat or anything eccentric like that. Kids are hilarious!

Andrea said...

Sounds like y'all had a great day. I will have to try out those recipes!

Jamie said...

They are too cute!

I've been following your blog for awhile but never have commented! I love your blog! I am stopping by to let you know I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award.. details are in my latest blog post over at http://jamiesjourneythroughlife.blogspot.com

Sarah-Anne said...

Brody giving fashion advice? Hehehe, too cute!

Island Baby said...

Everything looks delicious! Will you share the other recipes from the swap, too? :-)

Maryellen said...

I love that you go bowling as a family. I love to bowl but in my area it doesn't seem to be popular anymore. Most of our bowling allies have closed ;( I went bowling with my hubby and another couple a few years ago that was the last time. I beat hubby pretty bad - maybe that is why hah

Abby said...

I know you've talked about doing the freezer swap on here a couple of times, but I'm interested in pitching the idea to my friends and had a question.

Do y'all have a limit with how much you spend on your meal? I love the idea of having different meals made up to make the month easier, but I just worry about it ending up being costly compared to what we spend on our monthly groceries.

I appreciate any tips you can share!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

The stuffed shells really sounds wonderful. I will have to try them.