Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Card Blessing Ring

I blogged once before about my love of blessing rings! I first learned about these from my friend, Katie, and since then, have made several of these for various occasions. I have rings for each of my children’s baby showers and birthdays. I also keep a ring that has encouraging notes from my friends that I have received over the last several years. It’s great to have them all stored in one place so that I can go back and read through the cards whenever I want.

I decided I would make a blessing ring to hold Christmas cards we receive from family and friends this year. It’s such a fun, cute way to display the cards, and this entire project only cost me $4!

DSC_0622 (428x640)

You will need these items for your project….a 5” neck ring with 2 hooks and a few rolls of Christmas ribbon.

DSC_0603 (429x640)

This is a close-up of the necklace. I bought it at Hob Lob in the jewelry/bead section. It comes in silver and gold.

DSC_0607 (640x428)

The ribbon is from the scrapbook section. It’s Ribbon Trends brand and is 5/8” thick.

DSC_0604 (640x428)

To make the ring, hole punch the cards in one of the corners and slide them onto the ring. Then, tie ribbon between every few cards. I saved several pieces of ribbon to tie between cards that we will continue to receive over the next two weeks.

DSC_0616 (640x428)

Here is the finished product hanging on our tree.

DSC_0623 (428x640)

I love having these all in one place so that I can look through them during the Christmas season.

How are you displaying Christmas cards you are receiving this year? I always love hearing new ideas!

16 comments:

Audrey said...

This is an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!

Savannah said...

Great project! I love blessing rings, but never thought to make one with Christmas cards. With this method, you could store it and build a collection from each year. So fun!

AmandaCalloway said...

I have saved our picture cards for the last few years in a scrapbook & it is my favorite thing to flip thru when we unpack the Christmas items but my book is full. I might need to go to a ring. It is so fun to look how everyone changes from year to year. How we were once a couple with pets to having kids & the pets get cut from the card bc it is too hard to get kids & pets to look at the same place!! Merry Christmas to you & your family.

Dianna said...

Very cute idea! I might try this! It will be fun to have one each year and compare how people and families grow/change.

waiting said...

Every year I put them up in a doorway between my dining room and kitchen. I don't even remember how or why I started doing this. But everyone in my family loves looking at the cards as we get new ones each day. I put them up daily. I just put tape on the back and tape them to the doorframe.

Lindsey said...

A friend of ours does this and then each night at dinner they pray for a family on the card. Now that my little family is getting more cards we might have to start this too! Have a blessed week!

Meg said...

Love this idea, totally doing this at house this year! ;)

Ashlee said...

LOVE this idea...we live in a small condo so this would be perfect :)

jodibrewer said...

Great idea! I also have blessing rings for my kids and for cards our family receives...also inspired by Katie...but I had never thought to do it with Christmas cards. I save all of the cards every year, so I might have to go back and do it.

Faith said...

Oh man, I really love this for the Christmas cards - it's perfect!! So cute. I spy my card too =)

Miranda said...

I LOVE this idea! I just pinned it on my pinterest so I can remember it! :-) You're very crafty!

Meredith Penzo said...

After doing this at MOPS I have done it with all my cards as well! Love it!

Just the Two of US said...

Super cute, I was just thinking of a way to display mine last night! great idea!

Melissa said...

My friend sent me the link about your Christmas Card idea and i LOVE it, you can see my display below! Great blog :)
http://adamsjosephmelissa922.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-decorating-101-in-1001-things.html

Cindy said...

I love this! Just put mine together and it's my favorite way to display cards to date. Thanks for the great idea!

Ashley said...

I display ours on the kitchen cabinets with ribbon. Then after Christmas is over, I holepunch them & put them on a ring similar to this. It becomes my "coffee table book" for the next year!