Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Chore Chart

Brody is really into to helping around the house! He loves to help me with any tasks I am doing and he always does it so cheerfully. I decided to jump at the opportunity and try a chore chart with him while he was  wanting to help and not being forced to help!

DSC_0536 (428x640)

I printed off a chore chart this weekend and chose 3 chores (since Brody is 3 years old) for him to work at accomplishing every day this week. I will probably rotate through a list of several chores so that he has 3 new chores to work on each week. I just don’t want him to get bored and become uninterested with the same 3 over and over each week.

DSC_0468 (427x640)

Chart is from here.

DSC_0472

This week we are going to work on…

  1. Unloading the silverware tray from the dishwasher. (Only spoons and forks. This is one job he already LOVES to help with! I posted a video almost a year ago of him doing this.)
  2. Take his plate to the sink when he is finished eating.
  3. Pick-up his toys before going to bed. (This is something he has been doing for over a year, but it never hurts to have a reminder.)

I also have a place for Extra. This is for anything he does around the house without me asking him to do it. He always does things to be helpful without being asked, so I wanted to make sure we are acknowledging the extra things he is doing to help.

I keep this chart posted on the refrigerator with the stickers near it so that we can immediately put a sticker on the chart when he completes a chore. At the end of each week, we will see how many he has completed and then reward him with something small like some candy or maybe a trip to the dollar section at Target!

This isn’t about making Brody ‘work’ around the house. I don’t care if he completes all 3 each day or none at all. He is 3 and I understand that. We just want to begin to teach him, even at 3, about responsibility. Hopefully, this is a fun way for him to learn! And as of right now, he is having a lot of fun with this…can you tell? :)

DSC_0537 (428x640)

Hope y’all are having a great week!

13 comments:

Superchikk said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I've been wanting to do a chore chart for Caedmon for a while, but just haven't had the brain power it takes to sit down and make one. Or figure out what I want on it. But with this idea, I can rotate. Thanks for the kick in the pants!

Meggie said...

Love this idea! My little man already helps out a lot around the house too, but I think the chore chart would be a big hit! (And help us out for those times he's not so interested in picking up his toys!)

Leah said...

Thanks for the link to the chart! I've been looking for something like this to do with Perri!

Ben and Emily said...

I think this is a wonderful idea!

mrsjsanders said...

I love this idea!!! My daughter is 2 and loves helping me load the dishwasher with spoons and forks, and even loves to put clothes into the dryer. I see nothing wrong with introducing responsibility at a young age especially when they see it as something FUN!

Ashley said...

What a great idea! I love that he is so excited and eager to help. Precious boy! He looks so much like you and Jillian in that last picture!

Audrey said...

You just motivated me to do this for my 3 year old, Ty. He loves to help out and I need to take advantage of it (and take pictures) while he still enjoys doing so!

Sarah-Anne said...

he looks so proud of his chore chart! precious :)

Maryellen said...

I think is is a wonderful idea.
You can see the pure joy in his face from a sense of accomplishment. Happy Choring !

Meg said...

Love it! I need this at my house too!! :)

Brittany said...

Such a great idea to start at a young age! As a teacher of 10-year-olds (4th grade) I see so many of them who don't take responsibility for their own things. I make the comment, "it's not your mom's homework to put in your backpack it's yours" on a weekly basis. I don't think parents today make their kids do anything!! Never to early to start!

Just the Two of US said...

Chore charts are awesome!

Junda Xu said...

20150721 junda
michael kors watches
replica watches rolex
replica watches for sale
michael kors outlet
coach outlet store online
louis vuitton sito ufficiale
gucci uk
louboutin
burberry outlet
air force pas cher
oakley sunglasses outlet
jordan femme
coach factory outlet
christian louboutin
ralph lauren polo shirts
michael kors bags
polo ralph lauren
ray bans
kate spade handbags
kate spade new york
louis vuitton
coach outlet store online
soccer outlet
jordan shoes uk
pandora jewelry outlet
michael kors handbags
gucci handbags
oakley sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
coach factory outlet
polo ralph lauren uk
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses sale
michael kors handbags
tory burch outlet
polo outlet
soccer shoes
louboutin pas cher
ed hardy uk
air max uk