Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ribbon key chain tutorial

At MOPS tomorrow, I’m having the moms make ribbon key chains for their craft. We make these every year in MOPS. They are one of my favorite crafts! I thought I would share how to make them since I was already making a few examples of them to share with the girls tomorrow.

DSC_0358 (640x428)

Here are the supplies you need…

DSC_0407b (640x428)

  • 1 inch cotton webbing (This can be bought by the yard at craft/fabric stores)
  • 3/4 inch ribbon
  • 7/8 inch heat-n-bond
  • 1 1/4 inch end tip key fob hardware (bought online)
  • tape measure
  • scissors
  • Pliers (I used needle nose pliers)
  • Iron and ironing board/or hard surface

The first thing you want to do is to cut your cotton webbing, ribbon and heat-n-bond strip. We are making them 8 inches long, but if you want them longer, I would suggest 10 inches.

DSC_0411 (640x428)

Next, turn your ribbon over and attach the heat-n-bond to the back side of the ribbon. You want to put the adhesive side on the ribbon and the paper side-up. Run the iron over the paper for a couple of seconds. Don’t leave the iron on too long or the adhesive may dissolve.

DSC_0413 (640x429)

Allow the adhesive to cool, then peel the paper backing off of the adhesive.

DSC_0414 (640x428)

Next, center the ribbon with the adhesive side down on the webbing and run over with the iron. You may want to cover your ribbon with a towel and then run the iron over it so that the colors of the ribbon do not bleed. ( At this point, you could run the webbing through your sewing machine and do a straight stitch down both sides of the ribbon to give it a finished look. We are obviously not going to sew ours at MOPS.)

DSC_0417 (640x428)

Next, fold the webbing in half with the ribbon side up and slide it into the key chain hardware. Use your pliers to clamp the hardware around the webbing. Make sure you crimp the hardware as tight as you can. It helps if you have someone hold the keychain while you clamp it, or else the webbing tends to slide around.

DSC_0419 (640x428)

Attach it to you keys and you are done!

There are lots of color options of webbing if you don’t want black! These are the 3 colors I’m using for our craft tomorrow.

DSC_0424 (640x428)

Here is the box of ribbon for the girls to choose from to make their key chains. There are tons of options and you can personalize these to your style.

DSC_0397 (640x428)

Have a great afternoon!

13 comments:

Linds said...

yay! I'm so glad we're making these tomorrow-- mine from last year is starting to look ratty.

Camille said...

Great Tutorial! I love this idea :)

Kimberley said...

how fun!!

Sarah-Anne said...

that sounds like something i could actually DO! ;)

Abramyan Avenue said...

WOW!! That is so cute! And it looks easy enough. I am extremely craft-challenged! We homeschool so we are always looking for simple craft I can do...
Thanks for sharing!
-april

Sara said...

Looks like fun! I am missing all you ladies at MOPS this year:( I hope I can make at least one meeting!

Kathryn said...

What a neat idea! Thanks for sharing :)

Bringing Up Charlie said...

I would love to try this! Can I find the key fob hardware at Hobby Lobby or would I need to buy it online?

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Where can you find the key fob hardware?? Love this idea

Sara said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial. I am in charge of crafts for my MOPS group here in CO, and we may just have to copy your idea!

Rebekah said...

okay, these are super cute!!! I need one! I should have gone to MOPS today!

Momofgirls said...

I was wondering the same thing about the key fob hardware...do they have it at the fabric store or Walmart?

Mary Adams said...

I searched my town all day yesterday looking for the fobs and no one (AC Moore, Hobby Lobby etc.) had a clue where to find them. After some time googling, it appears that you can only buy these things online, and in bulk! Just google "key fob hardware" and you will find lots of various websites that sell them.