Friday, October 7, 2011

Freezer Meal Swap

Four of my friends and I got together and decided we would cook and swap freezer meals. We are all busy moms who want to cook each night for our families, but sometimes it’s difficult at the end of the day to get a home cooked meal on the table. This seemed like a great solution for those busy nights!

The 5 of us each cooked 2 different meals. We each made 5 of each meal so that we could keep one for ourselves and then swap the other four. We did this for both dishes we cooked, so we each made 10 meals total.

I made homemade spaghetti sauce with meat and taco soup.

DSC_0380 (640x428)

I dated and labeled each of the bags so that everyone would know what was in the bag.

DSC_0383 (640x428)

If there were any special instructions for thawing or warming our dishes, we included those on the foil or bag.

DSC_0389 (640x428)

We all met this morning at Sara’s house and swapped meals! These were the other 8 meals I received from my friends. I now have 10 meals total including my spaghetti sauce and taco soup! How great is it that I can have 10 nights off from cooking this month??!! I am thrilled about it!

DSC_0387 (640x422)

Along with the meals I made, we have homemade lasagna, chicken enchiladas, turkey and black bean chili, three cheese baked pasta, taco meat, southwestern egg rolls, chicken chili and chicken spaghetti.

I think this is something we will continue to do on a regular basis! It only required a few hours in the kitchen and resulted in 10 nights that we don’t have to spend in the kitchen. I think it’s a great trade off! :)

I linked most of the recipes we used for our swap, but here are few more recipes that we have made at our house that also freeze well.

Hope you all have a great Friday!

17 comments:

Rebekah said...

I am thrilled to have less time in the kitchen this month, too! And super excited to try your Taco Soup!

Kodi said...

This is an awesome idea. How cool would it be to get about eight more people and you'd seriously have a month of cooking done?!

Ashley said...

Wow! That is an awesome idea!!

Katie said...

I'm hungry just reading this!

Fortner Family said...

A group of friends did this exact thing a couple of weeks ago and it is wonderful! We also found a family in need, for example, we have a friend that her little girl is in and out of the hospital a lot so we blessed her with 14 already made meals. I know you will enjoy your already made meals!!

Kristin said...

Wow such a great idea!!

Sarah-Anne said...

it's a good thing that dinner is ready over here because this post is making me HUNGRY! looks like you have the best friends :)

-Crystal said...

Love this idea! Love your blog! Children are beautiful! Jillian must be so much fun to dress! and Brody is such a handsome little guy! :)
Im a new follower!...and a new blogger!
coffeeatnordstrom.blogspot.com <- check it out!

Anna & Kirby said...

Awesome idea... and thanks for sharing too :)

Savannah said...

What a great idea! I'd love to organize this among my friends. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend!

Abramyan Avenue said...

This is such a great idea!! I would love to get together with my neighbors and friends to do something like this, especially with the colder weathe coming. It would be so nice to have a variety of soups available!!
-april

Tricia said...

What a fantastic idea! I would love to try this with my girlfriends. It's also a fun way to try something you may not normally make. I love it! :)

All About the Armes' said...

LOVE this idea!

Jennifer said...

Brilliant IDEA! Will have to try this out with some girlfriends!

Faith said...

What a fabulous idea!!

Megan said...

I've heard of people doing this and think it is such a great idea! I need to organize this!

Amy Austin said...

This must be an idea whose time has come - I just wrote about it, myself at http://prettybabies.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-start-meal-co-op.html


XOXO