Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Alektorophobia: a fear of chickens

Apparently, Brody has several  fears as an almost 3 year old. We have learned of his fear of turtles this summer, and yesterday, I learned of his fear of rotisserie chickens.

I am going to be completely honest and say that everything about this situation made me laugh. It probably shouldn’t have, but I seriously could not believe this was happening. Are you ever in parenting situations or just life situations that are so crazy you just start laughing and can’t stop? Yes, well that was what happened to me yesterday.

I picked Brody up from MDO and the 3 of us headed to the store to buy groceries for the week. I always put Jillian in the seat of the cart and Brody in the basket area while we shop. The shopping trip was great. The kids were perfect and we were finishing-up our shopping when I went to the deli and picked-up a rotisserie chicken. I sat it in the cart and the look on Brody’s face was priceless.

Mommy, what is that?

It’s a chicken.

Mommy, is that a turtle? (Fear of turtles resurfaces)

No, baby. It’s a chicken.

At this point he has moved as far away as he possibly could from the chicken and is standing-up in the cart looking terrified. I’m pretty sure this is the first time he has noticed a rotisserie chicken is actually a whole chicken.

Brody, you need to sit down so we can finish shopping and check-out.

Mommy, put that chicken back. I am so scared of that chicken. Mommy, put that chicken back. Take it back. I don’t like that chicken. It scares me.

He wasn’t even kidding. I walked over to reassure him that the chicken, although it looked like it might be a live animal, was, in fact, no longer alive. I told him it was not going to get him and that it was just going to stay in it’s little box. Apparently, that wasn’t the reassurance he needed because he wrapped his arms around my neck and insisted he be carried through the store so that he did not have to sit with the chicken. So I agreed to push the cart full of groceries and a baby while carrying a 35lb child through the store. People stared. :)

We made it to the check-out without any other issues. He did ask about the chicken on the way home and I again assured him that the chicken would stay in the trunk where I put him and would not be making it’s way to the back seat with him.

We got home and I began putting groceries away. Brody sat at the bar while I unloaded bags. I went to get the chicken out of the bag to put in the refrigerator and decided to video him just in case he said anything funny about the chicken. Well, he definitely had something to say about the chicken…

My favorite part of the video is that he says, “I can’t look at it!” Sweet boy! I love how sweet and serious he is about his fear of this chicken.

Needless to say, he chose to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dinner last night. :)

43 comments:

Michelle said...

That is absolutely the funniest thing I have ever seen! I would have recorded it too.

Courtney said...

That is so funny - that is how Titus acts around blenders!

Katie said...

I'm sorry, but I cannot stop giggling! Your sweet Brody is just adorable, but the fear of a dead chicken has me in stitches! Oh, perhaps it's just one of those days... BTW, I think he'll totally look back at this video someday and be mortified/so glad that his mama filmed him having a scary moment with roasted poultry :)

Tara said...

Hahaha! Bless his sweet heart! Those whole chickens can look a little scary. Ha! :)

Lindsay said...

i know this shouldn't be funny, but it is soo funny! poor little thing.

Cassi said...

I know I shouldnt laugh, but oh my goodness, that is too cute! What a sweet boy. :)

Ashley said...

Poor little guy! I would have laughed too!! It's just so random.

Mere said...

Poor little buddy! That is too funny, and Brody is too cute! My husband doesn't like to eat rotisserie chickens either because he says they freak him out. Ha!

Kimberley said...

poor baby, bless his heart. and you wanted to open it! :) LOLOL!

Funny Guy and His Wife said...

This is just too cute! You have the sweetest little family!

waiting said...

This is one of the funniest things I have ever seen! Kids do the most random things:)

Meggie said...

That is too funny! Brody is adorable! =)

Tarrant said...

My son was afraid of mountains at that age. Not a problem, except we lived in Eugene, OR, in a valley. Every time we would drive anywhere for months he would start screaming about the mountains. It was so sad and frustrating, yet very, very, funny.

Momofgirls said...

Sweet Boy! Don't you wonder what in the world goes through their heads? I DO see how it would be a little "turtle-ish" though, I don't like those chickens much either...give me boneless, skinless chicken breasts!

Lauren said...

Now every time I eat or see a chicken I will think of Brody, haha!!!!! Too funny!!!

Linds said...

bless his little heart. but I totally know what you mean about laughing. I think it's the only thing we can do in MOST situations with two young kids-- life is like a circus around here most days!

Erin said...

I have this. I am TERRIFIED of chickens and anything with feathers on it. Bless his little heart. He will probably out grow, I on the other hand am 36 and still afraid. Good luck!!!!

Erin

Leah said...

That is so funny! I don't think I would have been able to walk in the store from laughing so hard.

Sarah-Anne said...

oh my goodness, poor sweet Brody! i was simultaneously laughing & crying at the same time ;) i wonder what made him scared of chickens all of the sudden?!

Katie Hale said...

That made my day! He is too funny. It's so great that you got it on video, you're going to love watching that when he's about 13 and denies ever being afraid of chickens :)

Lindsay said...

My three year old has some very funny fears as well. I know what you mean about feeling bad, but sometimes they are just too funny about it! Thanks for sharing! Haha!

lillies & lattes said...

laughed out loud! what a sweetheart.

Laura Ann said...

I am laughing my hiney off...seriously this is so FUNNY. You should buy a bunch of them and record him doing that (so mean I know) but you could win on Home Funniest Videos and put away some college money for that sweet boy. I have to read and watch this again, so super hilarious.

He has so big and your kiddos are so beautiful. I still read all the time, but rarely have time to comment.

I hope all is well.

Audrey said...

If he turns out to be a vegetarian later in life, this will be even funnier!

Audrey said...

If he turns out to be a vegetarian later on in life, this will be even funnier!!

Jaime said...

Awww, that is funny! My five year old is afraid of baby rattles. I'm talking scream at the top of his lungs and jump up on the furniture if he hears his younger siblings rattling one! But I'm pretty sure there is no medical diagnosis for that one :)

Jaime said...

Awww, that is funny! My five year old is afraid of baby rattles. I'm talking scream at the top of his lungs and jump up on the furniture if he hears his younger siblings rattling one! But I'm pretty sure there is no medical diagnosis for that one :)

Anna & Kirby said...

Oh my gosh... my heart goes out to the poor boy, but at the same time I have to laugh.

Missy F said...

Hi there I'm delurking to tell you that is about the sweetest, most hillarious thing I've ever read! I'm in tears b/c I can't get over how funny/cute the whole thing is ; ) Too fricken cute!

Rachel said...

HAHAHA! I needed this good laugh! I especially love that he's so afraid of a DEAD chicken. It's not even a real one :) Poor little, Brody!

Shauna said...

That is hilarious! Poor lil Brody! I pulled out a sequined spider the other day and my 2 year old had a fit, and was so scared of it. It was too funny!

Brittney said...

This is too funny! My little girl, also 3 did the same thing when we took her to Dixie Stampede in Branson where part of your meal is a whole rotisserie chicken:) Brody and my little one are so much alike, I enjoy reading about him!

kimmie said...

Too funny!! It's crazy what toddlers can be scared of!! YOu just wonder what is going on in their sweet little heads!!

Mommyblogger said...

Oh goodness, I feel terrible for laughing at him but that is absolutely so funny! Bless his heart.

Jen S. said...

I love when you share your stories...they are a riot!

Laurie said...

this is so funny!!!!!! bless his sweet heart.

Laurie said...

this is so funny!!!!!! bless his sweet heart.

Amanda M. said...

This is one of the funniest stories I have EVER heard. The poor boy!

Twinkletoes said...

Awww - that is so adorable but so sad at the same time. He is absolutely frightened. Poor guy!

Megan said...

Poor guy!!! So sad, but also SO funny! "I can't look at it!" I was cracking up over that! It totally sounds like something my son would say/do! ;)

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

I cannot stop laughing! How funny! I know it's not really funny when they're scared of something, but their reactions are hilarious-- I guess because we know there's no reason to be scared. Haha! Poor Brody!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

I cannot stop laughing! How funny! I know it's not really funny when they're scared of something, but their reactions are hilarious-- I guess because we know there's no reason to be scared. Haha! Poor Brody!

Ashley said...

This is SO funny!!! It's amazing how their little minds work.