Thursday, July 14, 2011

Chelonaphobia: the fear of turtles

Brody has loved turtles for over a year now. It all started when he discovered the show Franklin on TV…

Franklin

Then, we bought a few turtle books. We also saw some huge turtles in person at the Tulsa Zoo on our Big Brother Getaway last summer.

DSCF9500

Brody constantly talks about turtles and how much he loves turtles. He asks to watch Franklin on a daily basis. He even called his swim buoy his “turtle back” during swim lessons a few weeks ago.

Josh and I have been hoping we would find a small turtle this summer so that we could let Brody hold a real turtle. We knew he would just LOVE to hold one!

A few weeks ago, we were both leaving the house in separate cars. I saw Josh stop at the end of the street and get out of his car. He walked to my window and told me he saw a turtle and was going to stop and let Brody see it! I got so excited thinking about how much Brody was going to love holding the little turtle! I just knew he was going to be so excited and I thought he would probably even ask to keep it. As Josh walked to the side of the car Brody was on, I grabbed my phone to video Brody holding a turtle for the first time.

You might want to turn the volume down on your computer before you watch this……Consider yourself warned… :)

So apparently his love for turtles only goes so deep. I think it’s safe to say he doesn’t love turtles as much as we thought he did or as much as he thought he did! Poor guy was so upset.

He asked all night after this to watch this video. I bet he watched it 10 times. Every time he watched it he would start laughing hysterically! And each day when we pass the place where we found this little turtle, he says, “Hey Mommy! Where that turtle go? I like turtles!”

I think that he gets in his mind that animals look like they do in books. This isn’t the first time this has happened. It also happened with a frog a few weeks ago, too. That was traumatic for all of us! Ha!

I think we will just stick to watching cartoon turtles for now! :)

22 comments:

Kimberley said...

bless his heart :)

Colton's Mommy said...

That is so funny. My son is the exact same way. He sees them in books and points them out. Our neighbors have a electronic turtle that sings when it hears noise and he is TERRIFED of it. We had a gopher tortoise come in to the yard and I went and picked it up and showed Colton. I finally got him to touch it and then my husband came outsdie and said "don't let that turtle bite you" and he dropped that tortoise and went running off and now when he sees even a picture of one, he says "NO NO NO."

Jessica@The Southern Belle Baby said...

Poor guy! That was hilarious, though, I definitely cracked up!

The Howell's said...

Oh, bless his heart. BUT it was a funny video. ;)

Tiffany said...

I couldn't help but to laugh at that!

Lauren said...

Awwww, poor guy, LOL!!!!!

Momofgirls said...

Well, I understand! Franklin IS much cuter! We had a "wild turtle" in our backyard a few years ago. He would go over to our neighbor's yard and back to ours for a long time, finally our neighbor attached an orange flag to him, so my girls wouldn't run into him unexpectedly! It was so so funny!

I am with Brody though, I'll stick to Franklin!

Lisa@southern-days said...

I feel the same way about frogs...yuck! That was too funny!

Dianna said...

Funny but sad too!

Jillian said...

That is so hilarious and Emerson does the same thing with animals!! She is all about them until you bring them near her. We went to the zoo to feed the goats and she about died!! Freaked her out!!

melissa said...

haha! Bless his heart! That is too funny!

Amy said...

bless his heart. my libbi is the same way with dogs. she LOVES to read books about dogs, watch dogs on tv, even play with stuffed dogs, but put her in the vicinity of a real live breathing dog and she practically hyperventilates. :)

Claire said...

Oh bless him! What a sweetie!

Cxx

Megan said...

poor baby! his parents are torturing him with that ferocious turtle!!! haha

Alex and Jill said...

hahaha! Poor little guy. He is so funny. I can't blame him...that thing looked nothing like Franklin! :)

Amanda M. said...

Poor thing! And poor you & Josh! I am sure you two were so excited to show him and then.........the reaction. :( So funny that he's asking for it now! Too funny!

Chea said...

Bless his heart! It was pretty funny though and I had to watch it a couple of times myself!

Kirby and Anna said...

I hate to laugh... but that was too cute! The way children's minds work is interesting.

Jill said...

Hehe, too funny! My son is that way about bugs!

Jenna said...

LOVE this. And I loved hearing your darling voice - "...it's sweet! It's just a turtle!". And then the best..."I can't like a turtle." My goodness, I LOVE THAT CHILD. Bless his sweet chelonaphobic heart.

Sara said...

Oh, bless his heart! That video is quite funny though!

Anna & Kirby said...

I've followed your blog for awhile now and loved reading this when you posted it. I'm always telling my husband about interesting posts I read and this is one that's come up a few times.

Just yesterday my husband tried to save a turtle from the middle of the road and wasn't too successful. I instantly thought of Brody and this video. I think I can now understand why he reacted the way he did... haha. Take a look for yourself.

http://kirby-annaking.blogspot.com/2011/08/mr-turtle.html