Thursday, June 30, 2011

Spray Tan Mishap

A few weeks ago, I went to get a spray tan. I’m fair-skinned and don’t have a ton of time to lay out. I also don’t use tanning beds. I prefer my face not have excessive crows feet, wrinkles, age spots, or look like worn leather by the time I’m 30 from spending too much time in the sun or tanning bed. I also am attempting to prevent skin cancer….So I spray tan.

Sometimes, especially if I’m tired, I hear what people are saying, but I don’t fully listen. It’s a bad fault, but true. I hear them and it registers, but whatever they are saying doesn’t always process within my little big brain and I just miss details. On this particular day, I missed a big detail.  The girl put the little stick-on-feet stickers on the bottom of my feet and told me to keep my feet on them the entire time so that I didn’t have spray tan solution all over the bottom of my feet at the end of the spray session. I smiled and said, “ok” and she continued telling me a few more details about the tan.

 27139

After she finished spraying me, she left the room so the tan could dry. I immediately took the little feet stickers off as soon as she left the room and threw them in the trash. Then, I walked around the room (all over the floor that was apparently covered in spray tan solution) as I finished drying, changed clothes and left the room. I left the tanning salon and decided I would stop by Jill’s work, which was just down the road, for a few minutes to see her and our friend, Heather. I stayed and visited with them for a while. Heather left first and then I walked out to my car. Jill walked with me so we could finish our conversation. As I got into my car and Jill looked at me a little funny and said, “Show me the bottom of your feet.” I pulled my flip-flop off confidently not really knowing what her sudden interest was with the bottom of my feet, and then I saw her face. It was a face of disgust and embarrassment. She rolled her eyes and said, “I knew it.”

I quickly looked down at my feet to make sure they were, in fact, still attached to my ankles. I couldn’t figure out why else she would look so stunned. Sure enough, I turned my foot over and the bottom of my foot was covered in spray tan solution. Covered. Like you could not see any flesh coloring at all. I can best describe them as a lovely orange, brown paint. They seriously looked like they could not possibly be part of my body. I just stared at them in shock. Really, it was more like horror. How in the world was I going to get this off my foot? Then, the voice of Jennifer Lopez, from The Wedding Planner popped into my head and said, "A quarter cup of lemon juice, half a cup of salt and a loofah sponge. Scrub scrub scrub." You all remember that part, right? I thought about it for a moment and then realized JLo’s little remedy wouldn’t touch this mishap.

I got in the car and headed home. I tried washing them off as soon as I got home, but I couldn’t really scrub them since I had just been sprayed and didn’t want the spray tan to come off the top of my feet. I decided that maybe it would come off within a month. I’m not exaggerating when I say that I thought it would take at least a month. It was nuts and it was gross. So gross that I couldn’t bring myself to take a picture. I showed Josh and he was mortified. Truly mortified. He was also very concerned for our white bedding. He was sure one night of me sleeping in our bed would ruin the sheets for good.

A little later that night, I was lying on our bed and Brody walked in to bring a toy for us to play with together. My feet were out of the covers and were facing the door, so he couldn’t miss them when he walked in to our room. He was in mid-sentence when he walked-in and immediately stopped talking. His eyes got very big. He slowly moved towards the foot of our bed and his sweet little face grimaced when he looked closely at my feet. Then, in his precious little two year old voice, he said, “Mommy, did your feet catch on fire and burn?!”

Bless his sweet heart. I am sure that’s what they looked like to him. It honestly looked like I walked across hot coals. I giggled a little inside and quickly assured him my feet were just fine. {I was also trying to convince myself they would be just fine.} I told him that I had gotten some tanning paint on my feet and that they would look normal one day...hopefully, one day soon. That answer seemed sufficient for him at the moment, so we continued with our plan to play and read.

And 2 weeks later, my feet were finally back to their flesh-colored normal selves. I learned an invaluable lesson about paying attention to details and about stick-on-feet.

I’m going to get another spray tan in a couple of days and I’m considering wearing socks. :)

25 comments:

Sasha said...

What a great story! I had a Mystic Tan mishap years ago... my knuckles were really dry and I didn't use the barrier cream correctly, so I had terrible looking hands for a few days!

Danae Jones said...

Oh my goodness, that's hilarious! But I wish you had taken a picture! ;)

Jenn said...

Next time, take a picture and post it! I'd love to see this because it sounds like something I would do, ha!

Charity said...

That was HILARIOUS!!!

I think people are wondering why i'm snickering at my desk!

Allison said...

How FUNNY! I laughed out loud at work when I read this. That is so something that would happen to me because I have the same habit of hearing people but not truly listening, especially when I am tired. I have considered spray tan and will for sure remember to wear my sticky slippers when I go!

Brittany Nolan said...

That is too funny! I had the same thing happen to me when I got my first spray tan... except they didn't offer any of those amazing sticky feet! I did not know those existed! My feet were yucky after, but it sounds like yours were a little (a lot) darker than mine the way Brody described them! ;)

Jess :) said...

This story just cracks me up! :) Not laughing at you, but with you. It just made me smile. So glad they're back to their normal, flesh-colored self again! :) :)

Laurin said...

This was a great story for me to read on my lunch break at work! Bless your heart!

jenrumley said...

Hi there! I stop in every once in a while from Katie's page and I think we have several mutual friends from Benton. Anyways, I'm pretty sure I about peed my pants when you were talking about Brody coming into your room. That's hilarious! On another note, I have done the same thing at home with some of those do it yourself sprays:) One thing I found that really works is rubbing alcohol. It does wonders...but hopefully you won't have to worry about it again:)

Jessica said...

Jennifer! Where are the pictures of this??? Ha, ha, ha!

 Shelby said...

Ahh! I too have had horrible spray tan mishaps...I think it's required! Mine involved a neon green/yellow stripe under my arm from wearing deoderant when I went to get my tan!

Just a tip...the last time I went i had a small smudge on my wrist. Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser gets spray tan off COMPLETELY!!! I just dabbed it lightly on the spot and VOILA!

(Also a tip...none of the other internet remedies I found worked: lemon/sugar a la J.Lo, Windex, rubbing alcohol...nothing. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is it!)

melissa said...

Ha!!! That's to funny!

Jaime said...

Oh my! I'm sorry but that is too funny. I am a natural red head and have a very fair complexion. I've thought about getting a spray tan in the past but can't bring myself to do it. Now, I'm definitely not going to! :) Glad it came off and that it didn't happen before your sister's wedding!

Lacy said...

Oh my goodness.. I would of been just like you and thought it would of took forever.. Thankfully it was only 2wks..

Momofgirls said...

Oh how I needed a good crying laugh today! Hi-lar-i-ous!!!!!
I DO wish you had taken a picture too! I almost couldn't keep reading when you were descrbing Brody's reaction! So so so funny!

-Lauren said...

What a great story! I have tanning lotion mishaps in my bathroom every time I put the darn stuff on! The price of beauty!!

DMO said...

St tropez makes a great self-tanner removing scrub!!

Angela said...

I'm sorry you went through that, but you sure gave me a laugh I really needed today!

Lane said...

So funny! I will definitely remember this story if I ever get a spray tan!

Maureen said...

Can't stop laughing about your little boy's comments - never had a spray tan but thanks for the info.

Alex and Ashley said...

So funny! I have almost given up on spray tans, something always happens! You should have taken a picture!!

Angie said...

YOU MADE MY NIGHT..im seriously laughing out loud!! I've been there and done this!

JODIE W. said...

I HIGHLY recommend Clarins tanning gel if you get a wild hair and do it yourself. I've tried many and this is the best stuff EVER. I also do not go to tanning beds or lay out without like SPF 30. This stuff gave me the prettiest, natural tan. easy to apply and zero streaks!!!!

the flavor blue said...

LOL. not funny..but funny now! haha. i never put the barrier cream in the right places...i always forget in the creases of my fingers so i have semi orange lines for a little while... ;)

Laurie said...

I love this story! Haha!