Monday, May 23, 2011

Rainbow Cupcakes

I saw these cupcakes online a couple of months ago  and decided it would be fun for Brody and me to make them this weekend. It’s been several weeks since we have baked anything together, so I was excited to find something new for us to try!
 
DSC_0617 (640x428)
 
Ingredients
  • One box of white cake mix
  • Food coloring
  • Baking cups
  • Vanilla Frosting (We used Funfetti frosting because it had sprinkles!)
1. Prepare the cake mix according to box directions.
    DSC_0620 (428x640)
    2. Then divide the batter evenly among six small bowls.
    DSC_0628 (640x428)
    3. Dye each bowl of batter a rainbow color. (We did red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple)
    DSC_0634 (640x428)
    4. Line muffin pan with baking cups. Evenly distribute the purple batter among the cups, then the blue, and so on, until you have used all 6 colors in each baking cup. As you go, gently spread each layer of batter with the back of a spoon to cover the color underneath.                                          
    DSC_0640 (640x428)
    5. Bake the cupcakes according to your recipe directions. Remove the baking cups and top the cupcakes with frosting before serving.                                             

DSC_0643 (640x428)

Aren’t these so cute and so fun?

Here is a picture of Brody after he helped me with the red food coloring! Ha! He had to take a bath while the cupcakes were baking! :) 

DSC_0636 (640x428)

Hope you all had a great weekend!

23 comments:

Jenna said...

So fun! I love that first picture because you can see JK in the background being all cute and like, "What you guys doing up there?" And last picture of Brody and the food coloring is classic. He is so cute and getting so big! He's not the Bobby Francis I once knew on River Street. :-) He's a big boy and I just love him!

Anna said...

Oooh, that look like fun. I love an easy idea/recipe made fun! Thanks for sharing.

Emily said...

I've seen these before and thought they might be fun...yours are super cute (as is your helper)!! :)

Kelly@Kelly's Avenue said...

those look delish

Ashley said...

Cute cupcakes and cute idea!!! We will have to try this out soon!

Nichole said...

I made these with my niece a couple weeks ago, they are such a blast to make! Love them!

Sarah-Anne said...

LOVE <3

Christa said...

Those cupcakes look SOO yummy!

Julia said...

Love these!! I recently made a layered rainbow cake which was a big hit. I am definitely going to try these. Thanks for sharing!!

Bethany said...

What a fun new recipe to try! I'll put it on my list of summer things to do with my girls :)

Brody looks so much like your husband in the pre-bath photo! He's looking more and more grown up these days.

This might be my first time ever commenting on your blog--just thought of that! I've been reading for a long time, but I'm not so good about commenting. I admire you for many reasons--keep the good posts coming :)

Erica said...

I LOVE the new look to the blog!! :D

Allyson said...

So fun!

Leah said...

How fun!!! Perri would love doing this! She is all about anything baking and helping in the kitchen!

Katie said...

Those cupcakes are awesome! So cute.

Love your new blog look, too!

Love, Faith, Hope said...

Love new blog look! & those cupcakes look like ya'll had so much fun!

Alex and Jill said...

I think these look so fun and yummy!

Love your new blog look!

AbbyS. said...

thanks for sharing!!
I find out the genders of my twins the day before the last day of school and will be making these in either pink, blue or both to share the news with my third graders and the staff at my school!! thanks jennifer!
Love the new look.

Laurin said...

So fun! Cameryn and I will definitely make these the next time we have a party at school!

Carie said...

I see a weekend project in my future! My daughter will love those! Thanks for sharing!

Bonita said...

How fun-- we will be trying this!!!
Not sure if its my computer-- but on your new layout-- it cuts off the top half of your pictures.. and only shows the color block....

Two Girls and a Guy! said...

Boston is DYING to make these now! She saw Brody and said "whos that boy and what is he making?" So I showed her and now we HAVE to make them. ( not sure if we will soon being 35 weeks pregnant and all) I can barely make her meals for her lol! Anyways Brody and Jillian are soo cute and are getting soo big!!

Michelle said...

Those are super cute! What a fun idea. Love your new blog look as well!

Kara said...

We are going to make these this weekend for memorial day, but using blue and red food coloring. Can't wait for me and my little guy to get messy! Thanks for sharing!!