Friday, May 20, 2011

Homemade Baby Food

A couple of months ago, I blogged about making Jillian’s baby food. I received a few comments and a few emails from people asking how I make it, so I thought I would share what I do.

I really enjoy making baby food! It’s very easy! I made all of Brody’s baby food and plan to continue making Jillian’s until she is old enough for table food. I still buy baby food for vacations or trips to see family because I would rather not pack-up every freezer bag full of food and take it with us.  I’m sure lots of people do, but I’m just prefer not to do so. :) And just in case you were curious, I spend about 3 cents per ounce for homemade baby food. Store bought for us would be about 10 cents per ounce.

Things you need: storage bags or containers, food processor or blender, ice cube trays, fruits and vegetables (can be fresh or frozen. Obviously fresh is preferred, but vegetables/fruits aren’t always in season), water, breast milk or formula. 

Here is what I do to make baby food:

1. Thoroughly wash the vegetables and fruits.

2. Cook the vegetable or fruit you are pureeing. You can steam, boil or bake them.

DSC_0504 (640x428)

3. Once the vegetable or fruit is cooked, pour it into the food processor or the blender and begin pureeing.

DSC_0506 (428x640)

4. Slowly add liquid of your choice. I use water. I prefer to save the liquid gold breast milk for her to drink, but you can use water, formula, or breast milk. Completely up to you! You can also set aside the liquid from cooking and use that as your added liquid since it will retain some of the nutritional value of the vegetable or fruit cooked in it.

DSC_0509 (428x640)

5. You will want to puree it until it’s at the consistency your baby will eat. I would suggest fairly thin for a 4-6 month old. I leave Jillian’s a little thick now since she is 8 months.

DSC_0510 (640x428)

6. Once the puree is at the consistency you would like, then transfer to the ice cube trays. I used a spoon this time since the food was a little thicker, but when it’s thin, I poured it into a quart sized measuring cup with a spout. Then, I used the measuring cup to pour the food into the ice cube trays. That’s a little faster and less messy.

DSC_0511 (428x640)

7. Place ice cube trays in freezer until completely frozen. Pop cubes out and place into labeled and dated freezer bags.  I made carrots (I know there is the nitrate debate but our pediatrician said that that’s not an issue to be concerned with), peas and carrots, corn, green beans and mixed veggies this past weekend. Our favorite fruits to make are apples, peaches, bananas (great with ground oatmeal added in), strawberries, and mixed berries.

DSC_0547 (640x392)

DSC_0549 (640x428)

When your baby is ready to eat you can take the cubes straight from the freezer and heat in microwave or set them out far enough in advance to fully melt. Each cube is about 1 ounce of baby food. I mix rice cereal with Jillian’s food before I feed it to her.

I just made basic vegetables and fruits, but you can make a variety of baby food cubes by mixing vegetables, fruits, and grains. The possibilities are really endless! I love to mix oatmeal with the fruits or mix some of the fruits and vegetables, such as apples and sweet potatoes, or mix some of the fruits together such as bananas and apples.

These are my go-to websites for all things baby-food-making related!

www.nurturebaby.com

www.wholesomebabyfood.com

www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com

I hope this helps! I am by no means an expert at this, but I enjoy it and would love to answer any questions you might have about it!

12 comments:

Superchikk said...

I'm so glad you wrote this post! It won't be long until I'll be trying this for Honor!

Sarah-Anne said...

filing this away for when i'm a mom... ;)

The Allens said...

I love making baby food, too, but I never thougt to make it in advance. I always took a little of whatever vegetable I was making us for dinner and pureed it.

Siân said...

You can also do the same thing for chicken and white fish - boil it in water and then puree it and mix and match the ice cubes for a full dinner when they are older! Love your blog by the way.

Nancy said...

You are doing the best thing for your little's!! You are a great Mom! Such a great idea & way to feed them healthy food without the junk in it.

Erin, Mommy on the Run said...

I did the same thing with my oldest, but now we live in a smaller house and I don't have a deep freezer anymore so I got the babyfood maker from WIlliams Sonoma. It has been great for making food in smaller quantities! We've never done corn before so I'll be trying that! Thanks!

Ashley said...

It is silly but I can't wait to make baby food again! I so enjoy more than cooking big people food. Never did corn with Ava. I'll have to do it this time around!

Laura said...

I don't know if you got my tweet when you originally posted this, but you are such a good Mommie!! I wish I had tried this with my Alise, but at the time, it was so much easier to just buy it!

Angie said...

Thanks so much for this post! And for the links - I love the nature baby one - very informational & useful!

Thank you!!!!!!!

Megan said...

I can't wait to do this for Eli. I have a baby food maker thing. Is that a waste of money?

Deanna Filer said...

You guys make it really easy for all the folks out there. chefs clothing

Saleen lee said...

Online Gift Store offering Baby Food from top of the line discounts on renowned national & International brands.