Thursday, April 21, 2011

Edible Birds’ Nests

Brody and I made edible birds’ nests Tuesday night for a snack! I remember having these in elementary school and loving them back then. I thought this would be something fun and easy for he and I to make together with Easter just a few days away!

This is the recipe for the nests.

12 oz. pkg. butterscotch chips (You can also use chocolate chips)
1/3 c. peanut butter
1 (5 oz.) can crunchy Chinese noodles (chow mein noodles)

Melt butterscotch chips and peanut butter in double boiler (or in microwave if you are like me). Stir in can of noodles. Form into nest shapes on wax paper. Refrigerate until hardened. Add bird eggs on top.

Brody likes to pretend to open things over bowls when we are cooking, so he was opening an imaginary ingredient with the can opener and adding it to the bowl. :)

DSC_0907 (640x428)

Adding chow mein noodles into the bowl.

DSC_0908 (428x640)

All mixed together! I think it would have been easier if I had crunched the noodles into smaller pieces before I added them to the bowl.

DSC_0911 (640x428)

I decided it would be easier to form our nests in a silicon muffin tin. I just sprayed a little non-stick cooking spray in the bottom of each section so that the noodles wouldn’t stick. I stuck these in the fridge until they hardened. (Please ignore how nasty my muffin tin looks. The down side to silicone is that it doesn’t seem to clean that well!)

DSC_0912 (640x428)

Then we topped them with Whopper Robin Eggs. You can also use jelly beans, but we prefer these at our house. This kind of looks like that bird’s nest on my wreath! There are 4 eggs in the nest now!

DSC_0913 (640x428)

The little chef! He was so proud of his nests!

DSC_0922 (428x640)

Hope you all have a great day!

16 comments:

Sarah said...

So yummy! Another way I have made these is with Fiber One Cereal instead of Chow Mein Noodles! Have a great Easter!

http://lifewithleahy.blogspot.com

Tricia said...

These look adorable.

Dianna said...

So Cute!!! You do great little activities with Brody!

Rebekah said...

You are so cute and always do such fun things with Brody! I need to take some lessons!

Shaunda said...

Fun! Thanks for sharing :)

Charity said...

I don't think Laurie will be hurt if you don't give her any! :):):)

Meg said...

We always put peeps on top too! ;) So cute!!

Katie said...

Cute cute cute!

Leah said...

What a great idea! So cute =)

Leah-in-the-Kia said...

Hi my name is Leah and I live in australia, we make a similar thing here but call them "Spiders", I haven't set them in a muffin tin before , I usually just put a blob on a plate and when they set they look like little spiders all lined up! I am going to use the muffin tray and put little eggs in mine for my kids and nieces, they look great! Thanks for sharing....I love reading your blog and check it daily, your kids are beautiful!

Love from Australia
Leah - mum to Jake 14, Britt 12, Laine 10 and Fallon 8

Rachel said...

I love how you cook and bake with Brody! Even though I love the baby stage, I'm excited for the day when I can cook with my little helper. :)

Karen At Home said...

What a cute idea! Happy Easter Francis Family!

Ashley said...

How adorable! Easter is my favorite holiday EVER! When you said edible birds' nests, I thought you meant the cupcakes topped with green-colored coconut and such, but this is much better! This year Easter falls a week before my birthday, so I am making a joint Easter-birthday cake with violet hydrangeas on top! My husband says its sad I'm making my own birthday cake, but I love to bake...especially for my favorite holiday!

Ty & Marlo said...

With as much cooking as you do with your children in the kitchen you should invest in one of these or have a man in your life build one ha!
http://store.platinumgalleria.com/little-partners-the-learning-tower-step-stool-guidecraft.html

Grace said...

Thanks for sharing your fun ideas! My son and I made these today and we made your cake pops this week too!

Theisen Trio said...

I think I stumbled upon your blog from Katie's Keepers and you amaze me (and put me to shame!) with all the fun and creative things you do with your kids! I too have a 2.5 year old boy and a 3 month old girl and you inspire me to have fun with them in new ways! I just wished I looked half as awake as you do ; )
Thanks for the fun recipe!