Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday

We had a busy, but fun Friday!

We started the day by meeting some friends for lunch/playgroup. We try to get together with these friends once a month! It’s fun to get to visit and eat while our kids play! Now that they are all getting older and much more mobile, it seems like we do a lot of chasing and less visiting and eating! :)

DSC_0513b

It was much warmer outside today than it has been over the last several weeks. It’s really felt like spring weather outside. We were able to let the kids play and run some energy out in the backyard! DSC_0518b

DSC_0519b

We ran a few errands after playgroup and then headed home to let Brody and Jillian take naps. Jillian was very ready for a nap!

DSC_0507b

After they woke-up, we went up to see Julee at the salon and get Brody’s hair cut. Let me preface this story by saying that this was probably Brody’s 15th haircut, maybe even more. He always does really well at his haircuts, especially when I plan them for after his nap. I usually take a little treat for him. He usually just sits and eats it and does great.

Today, not so much.

Not even close to great. Or even close to good.

I’m not going into all the details, but basically he didn’t want to sit in Julee’s chair and for some reason he had a fear of getting his hair cut today. Thankfully, my dad walked into the salon in the middle of Brody’s meltdown. We didn’t know my dad had an appointment after Brody, but I am so glad he did. He finally got Brody to get his hair cut by sitting on the floor of the salon and hold Brody while Julee cut Brody’s hair. Here is a picture of the 3 of them! DSC_0520b

I felt so sorry Julee, for my dad, for the 4 other stylists having to witness this train wreck, and for the other clients who were just trying to get their hair cut. They had no idea they had come to visit the circus on this particular day. Bless them.

Needless to say, we had a nice long talk on the way home from the salon, then we had another talk with daddy, then we made an apology phone call to Julee. As we were leaving the salon, I reminded Julee and my dad that parenting is a humbling experience. Something I am always reminded right when I think I’m starting to get the hang of it. :)

Thankfully, Josh and I already had a fun date night planned tonight, so that gave me something to look forward to after our fun afternoon. We took the kids to FNO at church {It was Jillian’s first time to go} and then we went to see Unknown!

unknown-poster-liam-neeson

I love Liam Neeson as an actor, so I was excited about this movie. It was really good! If you like action movies, then you should definitely go see it!! We both liked it a lot!

Hope you are having a great weekend!

19 comments:

Gail said...

I know that had to be so stressful! I am so blessed that my dad was a barber on the side while in college...so guess who cuts my boys' hair? Lol.

I'll have to tell my hubby about this movie. I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking me out to see it! ;)

Sarah-Anne said...

aw, that is such a funny story! i mean, i'm sure you weren't thinking about it that way, but all i can think about are all the times a kid i have baby-sit for has a meltdown and went ballistic in front of their mom. haha, good times... ;)
glad to hear you were able to get out with your man.
Sarah-Anne

The Rohman Family said...

Oh we have all been there...whether it's haircuts, eating out, walmart parking lot, ha!

amyj said...

One thing I've learned in my relatively short time as being a mother is that you can always count on your children to keep you humble. :) And if you can keep your cool in situations like you had yesterday, then you are TOTALLY getting the hang of it! Good job, Jennifer!!

John T. and Jessica said...

LOVE Jillian's outfit! It's too cute! :o)

Mommyblogger said...

Isn't it funny how the simplest things with kids can all of a sudden turn into an absolute disaster? Glad your dad finally was able to talk him into getting his haircut. Thanks for the movie review. Good to hear that you and hubby had a nice date! Enjoy your weekend.

Amanda M. said...

I LOVE that little Brody made an apology phone call! What a sweetie - that's so good and I am sure he learned from that! He is still so dern cute. :)

Lilly, Reid, Matt, and Sara said...

Jillian is so precious--I can't believe she is five months old! I love the Valentine's post pictures of the two of them!! So sweet!

Erin said...

I want to go see it :) We where supposed to go see it tonight but we have a ton of snow coming and the in laws have to leave early. :( glad you had a good date night.

Kelley said...

ok - i've blog-stalked you for awhile and now i finally have to comment - lots in common it seems: february bdays, humbling parenting experiences, and liam neesom fans. made me smile :) your kiddos are precious by the way - hope you have a great weekend ~ kelley

Kelley said...

ok - i've blog-stalked you for awhile, but i finally have to comment - seems we have a few things in common - february bdays (happy belated bday, by the way), humbling parenting experiences, and liam neesom fans - made me smile. your kids are precious :) have a great weekend ~ kelley

Andy and Wendy Ingram said...

It is so normal for kids to go through that with haircuts. Our son who is now 15, did the same thing when he was little. Things like that happen and sometimes it is hard to understand why kids all of a sudden have fears of certain things. So many things that are humbling to us parents and so many challenges along the way eventually come to pass. Parenting is such a journey and God always gives us the grace to navigate through all of it. Your children are beautiful and I enjoy reading your blog when I get the chance. Blessings to you!

Jen S. said...

Hi there!
I've been a follower of yours for quite some time. Just thought I'd let you know that I really enjoy your blog, and you sure have a beautiful family!
Have a great weekend :)

Jen said...

Just found your blog through mutual twitter friends; it's adorable! Your little girl is TOO cute - such a beautiful family :)

Claire said...

Oh bless you! Thank heavens your dad was there to get Brody to have his hair cut - that must have been stressful for you all!

Cxx

Dianna said...

You are such a great mommy! I hate that Brody had a tough time getting his haircut but talking to him about it and then the apology phone call to Julee sounds like you handled it perfectly!

Sara said...

I couldn't agree more about parenting! I have had some moments with Bryce that have almost brought me to tears.

Glad you enjoyed the movie. I will have to add it to my list to watch when its available to rent.

Traci said...

Jillian's outfit is too cute!!! Poor little Brody. It makes you wonder what's going on in their minds. We saw Just Go With It this weekend. Sooo funny!

Nancy said...

I can just tell ya'll are the type of friends that meltdown or not, she loves your kids!! :) That is hilarious that your Dad was able to get him to sit still on the floor. Oh the joy of a meltdown!

I want to see that movie!
And your sweet girl's outfit is precious in that picture!