Wednesday, September 8, 2010

MOPS

This morning was our first MOPS meeting of the semester! I was so excited to be back. I look forward to our meetings each month and enjoy the time I get to spend with other moms who are in the same season of life as me. It's nice to be able to connect and share our hearts with each other.

Each month we have a guest speaker. This months speaker was Michelle Duggar. She lives in our area and attended our church until they began a home church. I was so excited to hear her speak today and to soak-up some of her parenting wisdom.

She was so kind to let us take pictures with her and her girls.

Here are some of my friends and me with Jana, Jinger and Jessa. The girls are so sweet and so pretty! They are also very talented. They played their violins for us before Michelle spoke.

The Duggars brought along their camera crew. It was a little intimidating when we first walked into the room but it was really neat to watch them film. They would just walk up and start filming conversations we were having with each other before the meeting got started. It was kind of hard to act natural when they did that! Ha!

We all had to sign a release to allow them to use video footage from today on an upcoming show if they choose to do so. One of the things we had to give them was a physical description of ourselves. I wanted y'all to see what I wrote. I was just being real! Ha!

There was a great turnout today! I had invited several of my mommy friends to join our group this year and most were able to come.

Michelle had so many wonderful things to share with us. She is so gracious and humble when it comes to the topic of parenting. I think it's safe to say that she has probably faced most of the same parenting challenges that we face on a daily basis and she had some great advice to share with us.

One thing she focused on was sharing the 3 character qualities she begins to teach to her children at an early age.
1. Attentiveness-Giving her attention and making eye contact when she is speaking to them.
2. Obedience- They teach instant obedience which is when they hear her voice, they are to obey. I have always heard that delayed obedience is disobedience so I loved the point she made about instant obedience.
3. Self-control- Teaching them to practice self control in their actions and with their words.

She shared so many other things. I wish I had a video of it all so you could hear what all she said. I took away some great tips/advice that I plan on talking to Josh about and hopefully using on a daily basis with Brody.

I think the one thing you can tell from hearing Michelle speak is that she truly LOVES her children. She loves being a mother and wife. She really is such an encouragement to hear. I enjoyed spending the morning listening to her!

Brody had a fun morning in the nursery! He looked pretty tired when I got there to pick him up. We were in the car about 5 minutes and he was out!

33 comments:

The Wife said...

I would love to meet her! She seems so down to earth!

Sarah Broadus said...

I love her!! thanks for posting!!

Miranda said...

This is SO NEAT! I would have LOVED to have been there! I love your description.. you're so funny

Rebecca (Craving Simplicity) said...

Wish I could have been there and I don't even have kids yet!!

Nicole said...

I would have loved to be there if I lived in the area. I watch this show every week and love it. I imagine she had lots of experience and could teach me tons of things with my kids. For now, I guess I'll learn from the show!
Nicole

Paige said...

Thank you for posting this! I absolutely adore the Duggar family and all of the values they have behind them. I can only imagine how neat it was to be able to hear Michelle speak!

Nancy said...

They are beautiful girls! How neat you got to meet them! I love the little carseat next to your little guy's carseat!!

Jenny said...

What a fun MOPS meeting! I am jealous that you got to meet Michelle and soak up her wisdom!

Brittany said...

How exciting!! I think the Duggar girls are so pretty! What a great day!

Newlywed and Decorating said...

Sounds like a nice time! Those are definitely good qualities to develop- very wise! Poor tired out Brody - too much fun! :)

Cherry said...

Thats so neat!! I love the Duggars!!

Lauren said...

So cool, Jennifer!!!! What a great way to kick off the new semester!!! :)

Ashley said...

I'm so jealous!! I really respect Michelle and her family as well!!!

Amanda M. said...

OH MY GOODNESS! This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool, Jennifer! I am so jealous! I just love their family and admire them so much. That must have been amazing to hear Michelle speak. I recognize their camera crew from the show! :)

Christa said...

How neat!!! I'm jealous you got to meet her!

AbbyS. said...

HOW COOL!!
Our first MOPS meeting is tomorrow and I am sooo excited!

Ashley said...

AWWW I hate I had to miss because of my stupid foot!!!! =( Would have loved to meet them!!!!

Jenna said...

I'm glad you wrote down her 3 points - I just circled them! I'm going to have to jot down your notes!

Courtney said...

I am so jealous. I love the Duggers.

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

What a fun and interesting morning! Hopefully you'll make your TV premier when this show episode airs.

Adge said...

that would be cool to meet her and listen to her first hand

Ashley Fisher :) said...

Oh my goodness; this is awesome! I have always wanted to meet her and I would absolutely LOVE to hear what she has to say about parenting! Oh and you look so great Jennifer!! Can't wait to see pics of sweet Jillian!

Ashley said...

How fun! I really love the Duggars! They are a pretty awesome family!

Immeasurably More Mama said...

What a fun way to start a new semester of MOPS! Thanks for sharing some of Michelle's wisdom with us...wish I could have heard her myself. :)

Linds said...

I went this morning as well and was so encouraged... I have so much respect for her being able to teach all of that to 19 children! I laughed when I saw your release-- I thought about writing the same thing on mine (although I was wearing hot pink... a lot more noticeable to the cameras unfortunately!).

Belle&Yankee said...

What a fun day. If there is anyone to speak about being a mom, it is her.

Caroline said...

What an exciting day! I can't wait to see if you all make it on 19 Kids and Counting. :)

xoxo Caroline

Faith said...

This is really so neat! I love the pics and I'm cracking up at what you wrote as your description. You could not be cuter!!

I really hope we get to see you on the episode!

Jessica@The Southern Belle Baby said...

I am SO jealous!! I am mildly obsessed with the Duggars- we just love that family, and I would love to meet them one day. Thanks for sharing!

Ashlee McCrary said...

I just joined a MOPS group in Houston & love it so far! I'm so jealous yall had Michelle Duggar come speak to your group! I love their show. She's definitely an inspiration in the parenting world!

Katelyn said...

I have read your blog for some time and I just couldn't stay hidden any longer... you met Michelle Duggar! Oh my word, I almost passed out. And you got a picture. I'm so glad you were able to take some words of wisdom from her.

Cerys said...

I LOVE The Duggars! It's be so exciting if you got to be on their show! Not sure if you've ever read their book but it's a great easy read with an entire chapter on advice and experiences parenting little ones, it's one of my go to books when stumped by how to handle a situation with my little ones.

Christy said...

Oh my goodness!!! How neat!! I *heart* the Duggars!! Thanks for sharing this with us!!