Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Jillian Kate's Birth Story

Wednesday started out like a normal day. I felt totally fine. No difference in the way I had felt in the past few days. I was having some mild contractions but I had been having those for over 2 weeks so I figured they were meaningless, especially since I had made no progress the day before at the doctor.

Brody and I had no plans for Wednesday. We were just soaking-up our last few days together before Jillian arrived. We spent the morning playing at the house in our pajamas. We finally changed clothes around lunch time and ate some lunch at home. Around 2:30, Robin stopped by to drop off the cookies she had made for the hospital. I had told her I did not need them until Thursday but she went ahead and made them early and brought them by on Wednesday "just in case." Thankfully, she had the intuition that I might need them a little sooner. :)

After she left, Brody and I ran to Hobby Lobby and then came back home so I could cook dinner. Josh and I went by my parents house after dinner to drop Brody off.. Brody always stays with my parents on Wednesday nights while we have small group, but since we didn't have small group that night, we ran a few errands. We went back to my parents house around 8:15 to pick Brody up and headed home. We got Brody in bed and I decided I was hungry. Josh and I agreed that since I only had a couple nights left of being pregnant I should just give-in to my craving and get a pizza. Josh left the house a little after 9 to pick-up the pizza. I got comfy on the couch and decided to watch the finale of Big Brother. Jill and Julee were really addicted to the show and I have heard so much about it in the last few weeks that I actually could watch the finale and know what was going on. About 9:30 I felt a little cramp. I stood up and my water broke...everywhere. I grabbed my phone and called Josh. He was almost back to the house with the pizza! Ha!

After I talked to him, I called my mom and she didn't answer so I called Jill. Here's the deal. Jill was watching BB finale and she and Julee and told me all day that my water could not break during BB. I knew Jill wasn't going to believe me when I called and told her but I had to call so I did. Of course, she didn't believe me. I finally convinced her I wasn't joking and I needed her to call mom.

After talking to her, I hopped into the shower (yes I did) and Josh packed the car. I am so thankful I had everything packed and ready to go. It made it so easy for Josh! I also had a list of things we needed to take so he got everything from the list and put it in the car. He also got Brody up from bed and got him dressed. We knew Jillian would be born quickly once we got to the hospital so we decided to just bring Brody with us. My parents met us at the house so that they could follow us and get Brody at the hospital. We called Josh's parents, but since they were 3 hours away, we knew that they would most likely not make it for the birth. Josh also called Julee and she of course thought we were joking sine it really happened during BB finale. :) It was really such a fun and exciting time. Within 45 minutes of my water breaking, we were out the door.

Here is my last pregnancy picture before we walked out the door! I was 38 weeks and 2 days pregnant!
Our last picture as a family of 3! Josh and I were so excited! The hospital is just a few miles from our house so we were there within minutes. I had not had contractions after my water broke until we got in the car. By the time we got to the hospital they were about 5 minutes apart. I quickly checked-in. It was such a blessing that I had gone on Tuesday to get my pre-op blood work and paperwork. It saved us so much time in the ER. I was literally prepped and ready for surgery within a few minutes. When I checked-in, I was dilated 2cm and was 90% effaced. My doctor was not on call that night. I was really sad that she wouldn't be delivering Jillian. I knew one of the other doctors in the clinic would be on call. I actually told Jill and Josh just to pray it would be a doctor I knew who would be doing my c-section. My clinic has several doctors and I have only seen 5 of them so I knew it could be a doctor I had never seen. You can imagine my surprise when the curtain to my room was pulled back and my sweet doctor was standing there!! They had called her from the ER to let her know my water broke and she wanted to come in and do my surgery. As soon as I saw her I told her I was going to cry. I was sooooo excited and so relieved!
Within an hour of arriving in the ER we headed back to surgery. I was so excited to meet our girl!! The surgery team was awesome. They were all so sweet, friendly and happy, especially for it being almost midnight! They were all so funny and I was so relaxed during the c-section. Josh waited right outside the OR until the surgery started and then they brought him in. It was kind of exciting going into surgery and not knowing what day would be Jillian's birthday. It 11:40 when I got back into the OR so we knew it would be close to midnight either way. I knew what to expect from my c-section with Brody. Let's just say Miss Jillian wasn't ready to come out when it was time to pull her out so my doctor basically had to wrestle her out along with the anesthesiologist having to push on my abdomen to get her out. Finally, she was out and we heard her precious cry! She was born at 11:58PM on the 15th. Everyone started saying how cute she was and how big she was. Here she is as soon as she came out! I think most of the staff was guessing she weighed around 7.5-8lbs. They were a little off! :)
She was such a big, healthy girl! Her one minute Apgar score was 9.9! The 3 of us before Josh and Jillian left to go to the nursery. I stayed for about 40 more minutes in surgery but I was so thankful everything went so well that it was an easy wait. In the meantime, our family and friends waited in the waiting room for Josh to come out with Jillian. I am sure Brody was so confused at this point!
Then he was out with out sweet girl!
I love the pictures and videos of Brody seeing Jillian for the first time.
Here is a video of him seeing her as soon as Josh brought her out!
Everyone watched in the nursery window while they checked, bathed and weighed Jillian.
Josh was so excited that he got to cut part of the cord. The downside to c-sections is that dads don't get to do that part. Our nurse was so sweet and let him cut it in the nursery. :)
Our big girl! We call her our little linebacker! :)
As soon as they got into the nursery they weighed her. The video is so funny of the nurse and Josh seeing that she weighed 9lbs. We will all a little shocked! I am just thankful that I didn't have to carry her 12 more days to her due date. She might have come out the size of small toddler! Ha! This picture needs no words. It makes me cry.
We were blessed with the best nurses for Jillian. The nurse in the picture below was one of our favorites! It's so crazy because a month ago I was at the hospital visiting some friends and she was their son's nurse. I actually told Julee that I hoped she was our nurse, too. What are the chances that she was the nurse on-call when I went into labor and was actually Jillian's nurse during and after surgery?? Thank you, Lord. Heading to the room to wait on me!Big Daddy and Jillian

My 3 loves I.LOVE.THIS.FACE Sarah and Jill.
Sarah had Payne at 12:58am a few weeks ago and I stayed at the hospital until he was born so Jillian repaid her and made Sarah stay at the hospital until almost 2 in the morning! Ha!
After about 20 minutes of them waiting in the room, I was brought in. I think it was about 1:15-1:20 at this point. I FINALLY got to hold my girl!!
And then all of our family got to hold her, too!
Josh's parents made it to the hospital about 1:30am. Some tired but happy girls at almost 2am!! I love our family and friends for being there for one of the biggest days of our lives, even if it was in the middle of the night

This was such a wonderful night! As much as I love things going according to "plan", I love that Jillian surprised us and came when she was ready. It made her arrival even more special!! She and Brody are such precious blessings.

52 comments:

The Niemeyer Nest said...

What a fun story! I love that the cookies were delivered early just in case. Jillian is a beautiful girl and I wish you all the best as a family of 4.

Traci said...

What a wonderful story! You are so blessed.

Kristi (Turley) Jackson said...

That video alone had me in tears! So sweet to hear Josh consoling Jillian as she cried! And the look on "Big Daddy's" face as he held Brody and looked at Jillian is priceless too! Thank you for sharing Jillian's birth-day with us! Takes me back to Presley's birth & that life is just so precious. God made it all so simply, delightfully wonderful!

Kelly said...

This post made me cry really hard!

Ben and Emily said...

What a wonderful birth story!! She's perfect!

Wonderland Papers said...

What a beautiful story! I'm glad everything turned out so well for you. And I love her name, so lovely!!

Kourtney said...

What an awesome amazing blessing to have your daughter's birth going so well!!

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness girl...that video had me in tears! So adorable and such a precious moment. Thank you for sharing her birth story and your family with all of your readers. Jillian is beautiful!

Jeremy and Vonda said...

Love this post. Jillian was born on my birthday, yeah!!! Brody will be such a great big brother. Praying the next few weeks are extra sweet for your family.

OOHTHATBAG said...

You are so blessed!!! I'm in tears

Laura Ann said...

I am so SUPER happy for you and your family. Our stories are so similar in so many ways.

http://fraziermommy.blogspot.com/2009/03/8-days-ago.html

I think God wanted to suprise us both because we like to have every thing under control and so planned out.

I hope you are getting lots of rest and Brody is adjusting well. You make it all look so easy and that baby girl is BEAUTIFUL. I {heart} big babies!

Angie said...

What a great and perfect birth!Your family is beautiful :)

Superchikk said...

I'm glad that my horrible dreams about your cookies not being there were not true. Ha! So glad you have such a sweet little girl and I can't wait to see her again on Thursday when I bring dinner!

Mallory said...

What a beautiful story! Jillian is already such a blessing!

Queen Bee said...

Congratulations!!!
My water broke Wednesday evening too! I was telling my husband how nervous I was getting about the c-section on Friday and heard a pop and then the flood. Being a first time mom, I was no where prepared or looked as great as you did!! Ignorance was truly bliss in my case. Sawyer wasn't delivered until Thursday afternoon - 17 hours of labor and then back to the original plan of the c-section.
All the best to you and your family!
Missy

Jaime said...

You look fabulous! I can't get over how big Jillian is :) I am so happy for all of you.

Robin said...

Congratulations!!!! She is beautiful!! It was so funny because I just had it in my head that you needed the cookies on Wednesday and that was the best day for me to come bring them to you!! So funny that it worked out like that!

Shauna said...

Great story! Jillian is so precious! I love big babies :o)

Brittany said...

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I loved it!! Great pictures of such a beautiful family! :)

The Rohman Family said...

Sweet, sweet baby girl that you have.

beachmom25 said...

Brought me to tears. Congratulations again!!!!

Jenny said...

What a fun story! I love that you took a shower! I would have too! You have to look your best for the pictures! :)

Karen said...

I love her birth story....sweet Jillian really knows how to make a grand entrance!! Congratulations on your growing family. Enjoy these beautiful, precious moments with B and J. I visited from Kelly's Korner about a year ago and just love reading about your family.

Amanda M. said...

What a beautiful story. Made me cry. Thank you so much for sharing your sweet family!

Hautemama said...

The video of Brody meeting his baby sister made me cry! He just didn't know what to think...so precious!!! Congrats..she's beautiful!

Bear Girl said...

Oh my...I am boo hooing all over the place. You are so blessed. Your family is so precious...you and Josh included.

May God richly bless Jillian all the days of her sweet life.

Genah in Indiana

The Allens said...

Jennifer, that is such a precious, wonderful story!

Sara said...

Jennifer,

What an exciting story. I loved the picture of Josh with Jillian in the nursery and the video of Brody meeting her :)

Did you ever get some pizza?? LOL - just kidding!

Laura said...

I loved that you got Big Brother on video when he was meeting his sister for the first time! Priceless!

Andrea said...

Jennifer,
Thanks for sharing this great story! I love birth stories! The pictures and video are great, too! I LOVE that no one in your family (other than Josh) held Jillian before you were able to. That was so sweet of them.

Jenna said...

Love, love, love this post!

Rachel said...

So, so, so precious. This just makes me cry! What a sweet family you have! Congrats on that beautiful little angel!

Sonya said...

I love the video of Brody meeting Jillian! It's like he can't decide whether to be excited or something else!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like everything went smoothly even if she did surprise ya'll! Great story and love the pictures. She's gorgeous.

Laurie said...

I just loved this story and loved the video. So sweet. Jillian is a beautiful baby. I am like you...I want to have a fresh shower before the birth. (Gotta look good in the pics!)

Ashley said...

I cannot stop smiling for you guys! Congratulations!

P.S. My captcha on here is "verse"...the first verse that popped into my head is "Two is better than one..." :)

Newlywed and Decorating said...

Sweet, sweet post! Made me teary eyed. Congratulations again!

Twinkletoes said...

I love this whole story. How big was Brody at birth? I love his little nervous smile when he meets Jillian! I also LOVE that everyone was there with you, despite it being in the middle of the night. Says something about YOU as a friend and family member!

Heather said...

Love the birth story Jennifer!! I was a 12 pound baby if it makes you feel better!! My mom brought me home in 6-9 month clothing!! a lot of the clothes were cutting off my circulation in my arms and thighs! ha! She is beautiful and everybody just looks smitten with her!! Congrats again!

Kodi said...

She's so precious. Congrats again! :)

Kari Beth said...

Beautiful story! Beautiful baby! Congratulations to you all!

John T. and Jessica said...

Y'all are such a beautiful, sweet family! Thanks for sharing Jillian's birth story! :o)

The Turner Family said...

Thank you for sharing this story! I love babies :) I'm sure Brody will be a great big brother. Sooo funny your water broke during BB. Things always seem to work in Gods time. congrats again!

Mom2One said...

The video of Brody meeting Jillian for the first time made me cry my eyes out! So adorable. =) I had a big brother growing up and just adored him and wanted to be just like him growing up. (He's in heaven now...) I wish you the best as a family of four! Your baby girl is gorgeous! Thank God for a speedy delivery and good health for each of you. That is such an amazing blessing!

Lauren said...

Aw, I just loved reading the birth story of sweet Jillian!!!! Such a sweet night!! :)

morgan823 said...

What a sweet post! Brought tears to my eyes!! Congratulations again, she's beautiful!!

Ashley said...

I have been reading your blog since Brody was very little and even though I don't actually "know" you and your sweet family, I feel like I do. I literally cried through this whole post. I am SOOOO happy for you and your family!!!! And Jillian is just absolutely PRECIOUS.

Chele said...

Thank you for sharing your precious story! My girl also made her debut in the wee hours of the morning! :) Reading your story and looking at the pics made tears come to my eyes! Nothing better than a baby being born to a very loving couple with a fantastic family behind them!! God Bless You!

Patty said...

Absolute perfection...the story...the birth...your girl and your gorgeous family! So very happy for you all! Can't wait to continue to see the kiddos grow up! Congratulations and best wishes for your recovery Jennifer!

Patty from TX

Tiffany said...

This is such a beautiful birth story. Tears streamed down my face the whole time. I am so happpy for you and your family! Lots of love and best wishes on your new journey as a family of four!

Cori said...

Congratulations! She is absolutely beautiful. Welcome Jillian!!!!

Lisa said...

that's such a sweet story and I totally bawled at Brody meeting his new little sissy. SO SWEET! That video is beyond priceless and you will treasure it forever.