Saturday, June 26, 2010

Vacation-Day 3

Last Saturday, we woke-up early and headed to Savannah, Georgia for the day. It is about an hour or so from Hilton Head. We got to there a little after 9.

Brody was trying to figure out what we were doing!

Remember a month or so ago when I asked you about this outfit? Well I ended up doing his monogram and I love the way it turned out!

Savannah is so neat! We loved walking around downtown!

My boys in green! :)

One of the reasons we wanted to get down there so early was because we wanted to eat lunch at The Lady and Sons, which is Paula Deen's restaurant. They start taking reservations at 9:30 so Josh's parents got in line once we got there. The line was SOOO long. It wrapped all the way around the building to the other side. I think they got in line about 9:15 and by the time they got to the reservation desk they we given a 1:30 reservation! It fills up fast!
Once we had our reservation time, we walked around for a while. I loved seeing all the neat old building, trolleys and the cobblestone and brick roads and sidewalks.
We also saw these pretty horses! Brody wasn't so sure what to think about them! After walking for a little while, we were hungry and burning up from the crazy hot weather so we went to the Savannah Candy Kitchen and got some popcorn and ice cream for a mid morning snack! Ha!
The candy kitchen was really neat. I didn't really want any candy but I loved looking at all of it!
Once we had our snacks, we went to sit back outside at an umbrella table. We used Brody's bib pouch as a popcorn holder. It worked out great! The best cookie dough ice cream ever! Josh had cookies and cream.
After more walking and sweating and even a trip to the van to cool off in the air conditioning, it was time for lunch! We were seated on 3rd floor of the restaurant!
Brody decided to have the buffet. :) He had lots of southern vegetables that I am sure were all covered or cooked in butter! Ha!
Josh had the meat loaf sandwich and fries...yes, those large things are fries! I had the crab cake burger and fries! We loved the wonderful food and it was just a fun experience all around! Josh said that they had the best sweet tea there that he has ever had and honestly, I would have to agree! It was ridiculously good!

After lunch, we walked down to River Street and strolled along the river and into some little funky shops. Did I mention it was hot? Because it was! Here is our fam by the river. Brody refused to look at the camera as he was mesmerized by the "big boats"!! After a little strolling and sweating, my bloggy-turned-real-life friend, Jenna, met us for the afternoon! Jenna lives just an hour or so away from Savannah so once we decided on Hilton Head I text Jenna to see if she wanted to meet up for the day. She was so sweet to drive to meet us. Jenna and I had recently spent the weekend together in April at Beth Moore so I was soooo excited to get to see her again and visit. Plus, it was even more fun that Josh and Brody got to meet her, too!
We decided to hang out in this little drink shack of a place since it was cool! It was great to be able to chat and keep Brody somewhat confined. Jenna definitely got to see Brody's little personality. At one point he walked up to a man who had tattoos on his legs and tried to rub the tattoos off!! I was about to die of embarrassment and Jenna and Josh were about to die laughing! Thankfully, the man thought it was just as funny.
Brody talked to "Jenn-ahh" about all kinds of things including his favorite obsession...vacuums. :) He also told her numerous times that his name was "Bobby". I guess we need to work a little harder on his "r" and "d" sounds. Bobby and Jenn-ahh were best friends by the end of the day! I know he loves her as much as I do!
Thanks for spending the day with us, Jenna. We loved every second of our afternoon with you!
Protein, Bobby and I cannot wait to see you again soon. We think you need to start planning your trip to Arkansas! :)

6 comments:

Alex and Jill said...

Joy, Mom, and I want to go to Savannah so badly and eat at Paula's restaurant!! :)

I love that you were able to meet up with Jenna...love her! Cute pics!

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Savannah is such a fun place...especially when you throw in a visit with JennaBabe! :)

The Wife said...

Love the outfit!

Jenna said...

Fun fun fun!!! I miss ya'll! My Saturdays are so lame when there is no Protein/Bobby/JFran mixed in. :-)

Love,
Jenn-ahh

Kristi said...

Oh so fun! Brings back memories. When I first got married Ben was stationed with the Army in Hinesville, Georgia and we lived 20 minutes from Savannah. We actually spent every weekend in Savannah. I keep begging to go back and visit because it is such a pretty and neat place. Glad yal had a good time.

Resisting Perfection said...

That restaurant looks so neat, and it looks like the food was worth the wait, yum!