Wednesday, June 9, 2010

1st Visit to the ER

This is a LONG post so bless your heart if you read the entire thing! I just wanted to document it for my own memory and for our family to know what went on. Also, I took all these pictures right as we were about to leave the ER. We knew everything was just fine at that point. Notice how happy he looked at 2:00 in the morning in these pictures! :)

****************************************

We had another first Monday night...Our first visit to the ER.

Brody woke-up from his late afternoon nap on Monday evening and within minutes, he began throwing up. I initially thought he might have a little bug or even eaten something earlier in the day that didn't settle well. Within 45 minutes, he was sick again...then again...then again. He couldn't keep any liquids down. I quickly became concerned as I thought the vomiting could have been related to a fall on pavement earlier in the day. He seemed fine after the fall. I checked for the immediate signs of an injury but he seemed completely fine. I knew just to watch him the next 24 hours in case any unusual symptoms arose. Sure enough, 4 hours later he was very sick. It scared me since he never throws-up. He has never had a virus and honestly, he is just not a child that gets sick. Prior to Monday, he had only thrown-up once in his little life. Since vomiting can be a sign of head injury, I immediately called our pediatrician, a friend from church, on her cell phone since the clinic was closed for the evening. I left her a message. Since she didn't answer, we decided to call the on-call number for the pediatric clinic. Josh explained the situation and told the nurse he had shown no other signs of a head injury other than the vomiting. The nurse told us we needed to take him to the ER to be examined. She said if there had not been a fall earlier in the day then there would not have been reason for concern but since there was we needed to have him checked as soon as possible. She said they would possibly keep Brody overnight for monitoring after examining him. We also heard back from our pediatrician who also said we needed to go to the ER to have him checked by a doctor. At this point, I was honestly worried about our sweet boy.

I quickly packed a diaper bag and a few outfits for him since they said he might stay overnight and we headed to the hospital. It was about 9:30 at this point. We got to the ER and checked-in. It was packed!!! There were some very sick people there. There was a man there that honestly sounded like he was in labor except I think he was in labor with kidney stones or something. The place was wild! Everyone that checked us in was so nice. The nurses loved Brody and he flirted with them even though he was still getting sick. We waited in the waiting room for almost 3 hours before they took us back into the room. Brody threw up several times and refused to sleep. He cried every time he got sick. Our hearts were breaking for him. I hated to see him feel so bad. As soon as he was finished getting sick he would start talking and dancing around the waiting room. Everyone was watching him and laughing at him...except the man in labor but honestly I don't blame him because he was in some serious pain! Aunt Jill came up to sit with us so we had 3 people to chase him around the ER which was very helpful.


They finally called us back around midnight and we were quickly seen by a sweet doctor. She reassured us we had done the right thing by bringing him. She examined Brody and at this point he had finally fallen asleep on me so I had to lay in the hospital bed and he laid on top of me while she checked him. She also checked his ears and it turned out that he had a double ear infection! He had not even hinted at all that his ears were infected. He had not fussed, pulled at them, or lost sleep. He never acts different when he has an ear infection. They always come as a surprise. Once she saw his ears she said the infection could likely be the cause of the vomiting but she wanted to do a CAT scan of his head just to check. Even though I really felt like things were fine at this point, I still hated the thought of him going through that scan as I knew it wouldn't be a pleasant experience at all.


The nurse came in to get Brody for the scan and asked if there was a chance I could be pregnant since they were taking him into an x-ray room. I told her there was a big chance I was pregnant! Ha! I told her I was actually very pregnant but that Josh wasn't so she laughed and said I would have to stay but he could go with Brody into the room and hold him down while they did the scan. I was so thankful I didn't have to go do that. Josh said he cried very big tears during the scan and was very scared, but he laid very still on the table. He said the tech covered Brody with a warm blanket to try and relax him and she talked to him while she did the scan. Within a few minutes, Josh walked in carrying a teary-eyed, red-faced boy. He was not happy about his little experience, but he was very excited to show off his new stickers that they had given him. A few minutes later another nurse came in with a bear for Brody. He was so excited about his bear. He immediately started calling his bear "tee tee", as in urine. He is a little obsessed with all thing potty related right now. He would say "That a tee tee" while pointing to his bear! Haha!

We waited for a while longer in the room. I was so ready to have the results from the CAT scan back as we had been there for 4 hours total at this point. I was just so desperate for some peace of mind. I think it's natural for a mom to worry and I was definitely good at it that night! After about 30-45 minutes an ER coordinator/director came in to explain our doctor had been pulled for a cardiac case. She explained we would have to wait a little longer but she would do her best to get us out as fast as possible. Well, she did not lie! That woman meant business and was incredibly helpful. Within a few minutes she came back in with our discharge papers and instructions. At this point we still didn't know the results of the CAT scan. She said something about his test being clear and I wanted to just lay on the ground in relief. In the chaos of the cardiac event, our Dr was not able to get our results to us so there was some confusion and they all thought we had been told he was fine. We were happy to hear that little man's head was perfectly normal...just as we truly thought it was. They think the vomiting issue was related to the ear infections. Who knew an ear infection could make a child throw up 7-8 times in 5 hours?

We were able to talk to our ER Dr again in the hallway on our way out. She was so kind and so helpful. We appreciated her so much! We got in our car and headed home. At this point it was a little after 2:00am. I told Josh on the way home that we had survived the first of probably many ER trips with Brody. I feel like he will live life on the edge to keep us on our toes! :) Josh high-fived me and told me we did a good job which made me laugh! We got home and I ate dinner at 2:30 in the morning. I had cereal. I was so hungry.

We put Brody to bed but he was WIRED and was also apparently feeling better after a Zofran for nausea. He played in his crib until 3:30!! Oh yes he did. We finally all went to bed at 3:30, very thankful for a great ending to our crazy night.

We had to go for a recheck on Tuesday afternoon to the pediatric clinic since head injuries can appear up to 24 hours after a fall. Our doctor said Brody looked great and told us we were in the clear at this point. She said the ear infections should clear up within a week and he should be good to go!! :)We are so thankful for our sweet, healthy boy and thankful for God's protection over him! What a blessing!

33 comments:

Sarah Broadus said...

glad everything is okay! Both of our girls have been to the ER 4x and after the 1st, they love going. We were remodeling and had taken down some old french glass doors. Madyson was helping me pull wallpaper and one of the heavy doors somehow came down on her. Glass shattered everywhere, and so did blood! we rushed to the ER bc she was screaming that her ear hurt. Turns out her ears were fine, the blood was coming from 2 tiny scrapes on her head. She left with Ice Cream, a Sticker, and a T-shirt. That so far has been her favorite visit!

Christa said...

How scary! So glad everything is okay with Brody!

Bonnie said...

My baby boy has spent the last 3 days in the hospital & he's still there tonight. I'm praying he will feel better & we can go home tomorrow. These past few days have been SOOOO hard, especially living so far away from my family. It's never fun seeing your baby get sick :(

Bonnie said...

My baby boy has spent the last 3 days in the hospital & he's still there tonight. I'm praying he will feel better & we can go home tomorrow. These past few days have been SOOOO hard, especially living so far away from my family. It's never fun seeing your baby get sick :(

Mommarazzi said...

Glad he is ok. Er trips are never easy on a Momma's heart!

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Bless your hearts! We haven't experienced a trip to the ER but I'm sure we will in the future with a house full of boys. :)

Emily said...

So happy to hear he is in good shape.. I am sure that trip was scary!

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! So scary! Glad to hear Brody is okay and feeling better. ER visits are never fun...glad y'all had a positive experience, though!

Hillary said...

What a little trooper!!!!! He looks so sweet I'm his little hospital gown! Soooo glad things are ok!

Taylanee Tooley said...

So glad to hear that Brody is ok! I read the whole thing!

Taylanee

Superchikk said...

Jill told me about your trip there last night - I had no idea! I'm so glad Brody is ok. Boys seem to keep us guessing all the time. I don't even want to think about the trauma they'll cause us when they get to be teenagers!

Caedmon was sitting in my lap and he was very concerned about Brody. I had to assure him that he was ok!

Mallory said...

WOW! What an exciting night. I'm so glad Brody is ok and you did the right thing to take him in and make sure. He must be one tough cookie if he never complains for ear infections...what a sweetie!

Lindsey Kindy said...

Oh my word! I was expecting a cut that wouldn't stop bleeding. Bless his heart. How scary. I am so glad nothing messed up that little cute noggin of his. Catch up on your rest and try to relax now that you know he is fine.

Mary said...

I'm so glad brody is okay!!
my son throws up like that when he has ear infections too, it never fails, everytime he has one he throws up MULTIPLE times!!

Christa said...

We just had our first scary trip to the ER with our daughter. She was fine too, but seeing all those sick babies (We were sent to a children's hospital) really makes your heart break. Glad Brody is ok and hope you'll be able to catch up on your rest. I know the stress of our visit really caught up to me the next day and I was a teary mess!

Jill said...

so glad he's ok..and what a trooper he was!

Jessica said...

Our son had his first visit 2 years ago. He fell while playing at our indoor mall playgound and BROKE his nose! He NEVER cried or anything while the docs pushed around. My hubby said the same thing about the first of many!

Erin said...

oh my goodness poor little man!! I am glad you guys took him in. better to be safe then sorry. Glad you documented this post you will be glad it is this long when he gets older and reads it and you have forgotten some things :)

Hope you have caught up on your missed sleep!

Lauren Kelly said...

Never a dull moment with a child, eh? So glad he is okay and he was quite the trooper!!! :)

Nancy said...

Not sure if you know of a good chiropractor that works on little one's...but I work in Bham, AL & the chiro I work with adjusts kids within onset of throwing up & it quickly goes away, it also prevents ear infections. Food for thought, only if you want to try it out or talk to any Mommy's that get their little's adjusted!
He is precious & you don't even look preggers in that picture!!
Love your blog!

Kati said...

I cried while reading this in class! AHH! So glad he is okay!

Mallory said...

So glad that Brody is okay! I fear that when I become a mom, I'll be a nervous wreck in situations like that, but it sounds like you and Josh were quite the troopers as well. :) Hope the ear infections clear up soon!

And how funny that the nurse had to ASK you if you were pregnant! At 24 weeks! That must've made you feel good. :)

Jenna said...

Sweet boy!! I am SOOO glad he is ok! What a crazy night for the Francis Fam. I'm so sorry ya'll had to go through that...just the worry and unknowns, plus it must be so hard to see him sick! Glad it all worked out ok, and you and Josh definitely deserved some high-fives. Such a great mommy-daddy team!

Faith said...

So glad your litte man is okay!

Dale Budd said...

So glad to hear Brody is okay. These little ones can certainly give you a scare. The thing is, they forget it quickly, but you don't. I'm sure he will be back to normal real soon, and enjoying his summer. Hope you were able to relax and catch up on your sleep. Jillian was probably wondering why you were up so late that night! Thank God, it was not something more serious then an ear infection. God bless you all.

Hugs from NJ!

christina said...

My son has currently has a double ear infection and has had them before. He always throws up when he gets them. It's mostly because of the drainage that is going down their throat. He usually has a cough but doesn't pull at his ears. Watch out because it seems like once they get them, they continue.

Leslie said...

My church makes the bears that Brody received! A group of retired men and women meet every Tuesday to make them. I'm going to share you post with them. They will be happy to know their work made Brody happy.

The Vinyards said...

Im so glad he is okay! Weird question: what kind of gel do you use in his hair? I can't find one that is "child proof" that doesnt fall down in one hour :)

That's Who I Am said...

I am glad that everything is OK with Brody. Poor little man. I have never heard of an ear infection causing a child to throw up like that.

Katie said...

Jennifer ~ I'm so glad Brody is ok. I know that was scary for ya'll.

Amanda M. said...

Oh my goodness, SO glad he is okay! How scary!!

Kaylee114 said...

So glad Brody is okay! I sure hope you put him in the tub and scrubbed him down before putting him to bed after spending a few hours in an ER. Those places are like THE germiest in the world!

Taylor said...

Awww....sweet Brody! We've had a long ER visit also with Miss Grace and luckily hers turned out just fine also! Glad to hear all is well.