Thursday, April 8, 2010

Telling Our Families

If you are stopping by from Kelly's blog, this post was from April 2010! We now have a sweet baby girl that is almost a year old! :)
________________________________________________________________

I meant to blog about this the week I shared we were pregnant. How did I forget??? Pregnancy brain I guess! Ha!

Josh and I love surprising our family with the news of our babies! This time was less of a surprise than last time. We had only been married 3 months when we found out we were pregnant with Brody shared the news with our families! Shock would be the understatement of the year, especially since we had told our families numerous times that we didn't want children for at least 5 years. Ha! Well....obviously God had other plans for our life as a married couple. Thank goodness he did because I cannot imagine not having Brody. What a blessing!

When we told them we were pregnant with Brody we wrapped gifts for them and gave them to our families around Valentine's Day. We just played it off like they were V-day gifts, but to their surprise we had wrapped grandparent bibs for each of our parents and baby booties for Jill. Surprise!!

This time we had planned to tell each set differently. We planned to go to dinner with Josh's parents on the Saturday night (Jan 23rd) after we found out we were pregnant on Monday the 18th. They were passing through on their way to Denver, so it seemed like perfect timing. We bought Brody this Big Brother shirt to wear to dinner as our way to share the news with them.
Josh ended up getting the stomach virus that afternoon so we cancelled our dinner plans. They were gone for a week, so we planned to tell them the next weekend while they were passing through on their way home. I had a complication late that week and ended up on bed rest all weekend, so Josh just had to tell him by himself. It was very anti-climatic, but at that point we were not sure what was going to happen so we just wanted them to know everything that was going on.

We had planned to tell my parents on Sunday night (Jan 24th) because it was my mom's birthday! We thought it would be a fun birthday present! You all know my love for Rick's Bakery cakes, right? I thought that would be a perfect way to tell my parents so we went over to my parent's house for my mom's birthday dinner and brought this cute cake along with us!

We set the cake box down and told my mom to look at how cute her cake turned out. It took her a few seconds when she opened it to realize what it said. My dad couldn't see the cake so he walked over as soon as my mom started saying "oh my gosh" and he saw it as well. It was so fun!

I actually showed y'all the cake on my blog the night of the party but I just waited until we ate part of it! This is the picture y'all saw. I was sneaky! :)

I always love watching our families reactions. Josh's parents are pretty reserved when we tell them. We know they are excited even though they don't react much. My dad is pretty quiet as well, although we know he is very excited, too. He doesn't get a chance to say much because mom and Jill are usually saying soooo much! Those two act like crazy people! They scream and freak out and scream some more! It is HILARIOUS! I have both of their reactions on video from this past time. I wish so badly I had them from the when we told them about Brody. I would be rich if I did. I will get the videos from this time loaded on my computer and share those soon. I think you will laugh, too!

We are so blessed to have the opportunity to share such wonderful and fun news with our families! We couldn't be more thankful for our two sweet children!

17 comments:

Whitney Molder said...

Love the way you told your mom! Too cute. And Rick's does make the best cakes. Good call.:)

Jess :) said...

What a fun way to tell your parents, especially!!!! I LOVE that you used a Rick's cake...even though I've never had one. I just know how much Melissa loves them, as well as Kelly!!! Well, okay...all of you NWA girls :) :)

Anyway, so glad all is well with baby #2 and YOU!!

Mallory said...

What cute ideas! I always thought for our first baby the bib thing would be a good idea...Hope you are feeling great!

kelly at keeping up with kelly said...

Too cute way you told your mom!!!!

Rachel said...

I love how you did it with a cake! Precious!

Day Old News said...

You are too creative!! I love it.

Erin said...

i love it,if i am ever pregnant again i want to do something cute :)

Katie said...

Love the cake idea! You are sneaky. ; )

That cake sure looks delicious. I'm hungry!

Leza said...

You are sneaky. I remember thinking..."ooh that cakes looks pretty I wish I had seen the whole thing" ha! Now I know why we didn't see the whole thing. sneaky sneaky. That's a great idea though. I can't wait to see the video of your sister and mom. Congrats again.

Sara said...

That was such a cute way to tell your Mom.

We just told my parents casually after dinner, but since we had so many infertility issues they never saw it coming and thought we were joking.

Then my dad's first statement was "that explains the chinese food", because I normally HATE chinese food and I had eaten it twice in front of him in the weeks before and he could not figure out why. Ha!

the 8 o'clock hour said...

thats awesome! so exciting!

Walking With The Wheats said...

I love it!!! I wish I could keep a secret and do suprises. Not good at it!!

Mrs. Nabors ~Wont You Be My Nabor said...

What a cute way to tell them!! Oh and that cake looks SOO good!! I miss Rick's Bakery!!!

claynefields said...

How Cute! I love the cake :) We had only been married 3 months when I got pregnant with my son. Our family was shocked too! Congrats!

Robyn Beele said...

I LOVE the shirt idea and the cake one!! I will have to use one of those on the next baby!!

Corinne said...

Cute! My husband and I plan to start trying to get pregnant at the end of the year, and we are always talking about fun ways to tell our parents. I really, really like the cake idea. How fun!!!

Heather said...

Wherever this Rick's is, I need one near me! I love that cake!