Sunday, April 11, 2010

Josh's First 5K

This morning, our family got up early to watch Josh run his first 5K. I have always been the runner out of the two of us, but Josh has recently taken-up running. I have been telling him he should run a 5K for fun so he decided to run the 5K that was part of the Hogeye Marathon this morning. It was a beautiful morning and the weather was perfect for running. I think it was 44 degrees at the start so not to hot or too cold!

We had to get up very early to get downtown. The race started at 7:35 so we knew we should probably be parked by 7. We had to get Brody up at 6:30. I know he thought we were crazy. I love his sweet little bed head!
"What are we doing up so early?"
Eating a granola bar before we headed out the door.

Brody and Daddy before the race started.

While Josh ran, Brody and I walked around the square and looked at the pretty tulips.

We also stopped to check out this elephant that was on display. It was made out of recycled tire rubber! Brody loved it!

The winner finished in under 17 minutes so we didn't have to walk around long before we started to see the runners coming back up the hill. Brody would clap and yell "Yay!" each time someone finished. Josh really want to finish in under 25 minutes but the Hogeye isn't the easiest first 5K to run because of the killer hills. It's one of the 10 top toughest marathon courses in the country because it is so hilly. I ran the Hogeye half-marathon 5 years ago and I cried at the 11 mile mark because my toes were hurting so bad from running up and down hills! Haha! I finished but it was still tough. Josh's finish time. Pretty good for his first time. :) I lost count but I really think he was in the top 25-30 finishers. I counted up to 15 and then I got distracted with Brody and stopped counting.
The boys after the race!

While we were walking back to the car I said something to Josh about training for a half-marathon and he told me he thought he would stick with 5Ks for a while. Haha! :)

We got home from the race and quickly got ready for church. After church and lunch we all decided we needed a nap from our early morning. Josh only slept for an hour but Brody and I slept for 3 hours! I guess cheering for Josh was a hard job. :) Brody and I are really proud of him!

11 comments:

Heather said...

YAY for Josh!!! That is a great time!!!! I love races!!!! So glad you got a good nap, too!

Whitney Molder said...

Yay for Josh! So fun! My husband and I are training for a 5K! :)

Adge said...

thats great that Josh did a 5k.

Erin said...

GO JOSH, I wish I was a runner! Glad he actually went through with it, thats great! Love his bed head!!

Lauren Kelly said...

That's awesome!!! YAY Josh!!!! :)

Brown Girl said...

That's awesome, good for him!! Getting into running was tough for me but now I'm kind of addicted!

Robyn Beele said...

That is too funny that ya'll slept longer than him!!

Mallory said...

Congrats to Josh! Wish I was a runner! I love the sleepy pic of Brody (1st one) he's like these people are crazy waking me up!;)

Megan said...

That could have been me and you running that half marathon together! :-) Hopefully someday. I need to do a 5K. Go Josh!

AKat said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I always thought you looked familiar, but when you said you ran the Hogeye, it all clicked! You and I ran part of that half marathon together, and I remember your name was Jennier Jones, same as my mom's. I remember you encouraged me on some of those hills! I finished that race, but barely. And that medal was hideous, with that big 'ole pig on it!!! Wow. Small, small world. - Anna R.

Kari Beth said...

the hogeye is so hard! way to go josh. aaron and i both ran it last year. seriously, i thought i was going to die when i crossed the finish line. that is one hilly 5k!