Friday, March 19, 2010

Josh's Birthday-Part 1

Josh will be 27 on Saturday but we have already started celebrating at our house! I love birthdays. I don't really like making a big deal about my birthday but I love making a big deal about Josh and Brody's birthdays! (Obviously, since I am the mom who got a cake for every month birthday. Ha! And yes, we will do that with this baby, too!)

We celebrated Josh's birthday with his parents last night. They came up and I cooked dinner: white cheese chicken lasagna, salad and garlic bread. It was really good, even if I was the one who made it! For dessert, we had a cake from Rick's and ice cream.
We gave Brody a very small piece of cake but he was able to make a very large mess with it. It was so fun to watch him having so much fun!

I wanted to share the White Cheese Chicken Lasagna recipe with y'all. I was a little concerned about making this last night. I told Josh I would cook anything he wanted thinking he would chose something I make on a regular basis. Instead, he found this new recipe on an app on his phone and asked me to make it. It got great reviews online and it also got great reviews at our house. It's a little time consuming but not difficult. It is soooooo good!

Ingredients
9 lasagna noodles
1/2 cup butter
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups milk
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 cups cubed, cooked chicken meat
1 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese for topping

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and rinse with cold water.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the butter until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in the flour and salt, and simmer until bubbly. Mix in the broth and milk, and boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Season with the basil, oregano, and ground black pepper. Remove from heat, and set aside.

Spread 1/3 of the sauce mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer with 1/3 of the noodles, the ricotta, and the chicken. Arrange 1/3 of the noodles over the chicken, and layer with 1/3 of the sauce mixture, spinach, and the remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Arrange remaining noodles over cheese, and spread remaining sauce evenly over noodles. Sprinkle with parsley and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.

Bake 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven.

Hope you all have a great weekend!!!

16 comments:

Mallory said...

Sounds delicious! I love to post recipes and get new ideas from others! :) I will make this soon. I wish I were closer to this famous Rick's Bakery...the cakes look phenomenal! Happy Birthday Josh!

Summer said...

That recipe sounds amazing! Happy B-Day to Josh! I wish I lived closer to the famous Rick's Bakery! That cake looks amazing! Brody looks so cute in that pic....he looks like he is thinking "can I please have more" LOL....what a cutie!

Have a fab weekend
Summer :0)

Walking With The Wheats said...

It so funny! All of the blogs I read are mostly from your area, since every occasion has a cake from Rick's bakery!! Must my yummy!! Maybe I can order one and have it shipped! ha :)

Lea Liz said...

That sounds soo good!!
The cake is super cute!
Hope your husband has a great b-day!
Love the pictuers of Brody messing in the cake!!

Sarah Wyland said...

Mmm that lasagna sounds good!

Amanda M. said...

I think Brody gets cuter each and every time you post a pic of him! :) And HB to your hubby!

Hattie said...

Happy Birthday to Josh! That cake looks sooooo yummy. I wish we had a Rick's bakery here! I love pic of kiddos eating cake, so messy & fun. That lasagna sounds so good. I'll have to try it! Hope y'all have a great weekend!

Sarah said...

Brody looks so much like Josh in the second picture! Happy birthday Josh!! :)

Alex and Jill said...

The lasagna sound yummy! We had chicken lasagna last night, but with a red sauce...I think I would like this one better!

Happy Birthday, Josh!!

Kelly said...

Thanks for that recipe - I will try that as soon as I'm not on a diet. ha!
And happy birthday Josh!

Southern Cinderella said...

Happy Birthday to Josh! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Sounds delish! I'm excited that you will be doing monthly birthday cakes for your new little one!!

Stephanie said...

Looks like a yummy cake!

Amy said...

Happy birthday to your hubby! Brody is such a cutie! Can't wait to try the recipe - it sounds great!! Hope you are feeling well...have a great weekend :)

His Doorkeeper said...

That dish sounds so good! I'd make it now but I am out of lasagna noodles, mozzarella cheese, spinach, and ricotta cheese,etc. Everything else is ready to go! har har I hate to go to the grocery store! Such a pain!

Happy Birthday Josh!!!! You are a blessed man!

Nancy said...

Happy B'day to your hubby & that cake looks good. I will try that recipe, thanks for sharing! Your blog is great to read :)

Laura Ann said...

Happy Birthday to Josh. Wow, the snow is crazy and so hard to believe.

Jennifer, do you think just once you could send me a piece of that cake from Ricks? I am so jealous of you girls that live in Arkansas and always have Ricks Bakery. The place does amazing work every time and I am sure it is yummy too.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I am not sure I posted since you announced. You are going to LOVE having your babies so close together. Mine are 20 months apart and it is wonderful. They love each other so much. It is hard at first but gets so much easier.

Brody is still the cutest little thing.

Hoping you guys are staying warm.