Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Freezer Recipes

I told y'all a couple of weeks ago that I had made a few meals to freeze so that I could have a little cooking break. A few of you wanted the recipes, so here you go! There are not many, but it should get you started. It has made cooking at night so easy. I don't have to stress in the afternoons trying to get something cooked while Brody runs wild around the house!

Taco Meat
Ingredients for seasoning
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions
In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
Ingredients for taco meat
Olive oil
1lb ground beef or ground turkey
one small chopped onion (optional)
2/3 cup water
1 tablespoon of flour
Directions
Add a small amount of olive oil to the pan. Add onions and saute 2-3 minutes or until tender and translucent. Add meat and countinue to cooke until meat is browned. Add 2/3 cup water then add 2.5-3 tablespoons of seasoing mixture (you will have seasoning leftover for next time!) , along with 1 tablespoon of flour. Mix all together and let simmer until done. About 10 minutes. Store in freezer bags.

Lasagna
This recipe came from Katie's blog.
Ingredients
1 24oz container of cottage cheese
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups of Parmesan cheese
6.5 cups basic red sauce
9 lasagna noodles, Uncooked
1 lbs. lean ground beef, cooked and drained
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions
Combine cottage cheese, eggs, and 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese in a bowl. In a 9x13 dish spread 1/2 cups red sauce in the bottom. Then, assemble lasagna in layers in the following order:
Layer one
3 uncooked noodles
2 cups red sauce
1 cups cooked ground beef
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese mixture
1 cup mozzarella
Layer two
3 uncooked noodles
2 cups red sauce
1 cup cooked ground beef or whatever remains
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese mixture or whatever remains
1 cup mozarella
Layer three
3 uncooked noodles
2 cups red sauce or whatever remains
2 cups mozzarella
1/2 cup Parmesan
Wrap each dish entirely in plastic wrap and foil. Freeze.

Serving day directions
Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and foil. Cover with new foil, and bake for one hour.

Beef Enchiladas
Ingredients
1 lb hamburger meat
1 small onion, chopped (you can leave this out if you want)
1 can of chopped black olives (I don't use these. Olives gag me)
1 can of Hormel Chili
1 can of enchilada sauce
1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese
6-8 flour tortillas
Directions
Brown the meat and saute the onions in with it. Once the meat browns, add in olives and about 1 cup of cheese until cheese is melted. Fill each tortilla with the meat mixture and roll up. Place in baking dish side by side. I usually use my 11x7 baking dish. Combine the chili and enchilada sauce in a bowl and pour on top. Top with remaining cheese. Bake covered with foil at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

I also keep cowboy chili, potato soup, and tomato soup so you might like those recipes as well.

13 comments:

The Wife said...

I need to start freezing meals! Much easier!

jennmcsorley said...

My mom used to call them Messy Moe's because she hated the term Sloppy Joe too. I've also heard them called Wimpies, Slushburgers and Dynamites.

Ashley said...

how perfect! Love it, thank you! I need to start doing that too!

Karen said...

I need to start freezing meals also. It would make things so much easier since I have a toddler myself. I have been inspired to give this a try. Do you ever visit thehappyhousewife.com? She has been batch cooking the past few days and I am amazed what she accomplished. Blessings!

Summer said...

Girly thanks sooo much for the recipes! YAY I need to start making them and freezing them! I know it would be lots easier on me :O)! You have the greatest ideas! Ooooh could ya please share your potato soup recipe with us?? My hubby is a big fan of potato soup I um well have problems making it....LOL

Have a great evening :o)
Summer

Tyra said...

Thanks for the recipes and the links to the others! Can't wait to make some of these and freeze them up myself. I've been thinking of getting a group of women together to make freezer meals but I've yet to figure out how to go about doing it!

Beth said...

I have a small chest freezer on my wish list so I can freeze meals ahead of time.

Jennifer said...

I am trying to find meals to freeze since I am pregnant and due in a few weeks. I will definately be doing the sloppy joes next week!

Annie said...

You are so prepared! I need to try this. I have the big freezer in the basement...with nothing in it...lol!!

I am going to try your enchilada recipe soon! Sounds good. Thanks for sharing!

The Lambert's said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I am about to go on maternity leave and am going to make and freeze some dinners for that first week or two. Did you do that as well? I found some really good others 5 ingred. or less casseroles, too :)

Rachel said...

Thanks for sharing these! We don't freeze many meals, but it's something I'd like to try. This will give me a push to start!!

Elizabeth H said...

Sounds like a great idea! I need to have that kind of motivation!

Jennifer said...

Would you mind posting your sloppy joe recipe again (or emailing it to me)? It was the only sloppy joe recipe we have liked and I can't find the print out I made of it.

Thanks!