Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cleaning and Baking

Josh and I have our small group Bible study at our house each Wednesday night. I love having everyone over and I look forward to it each week. I usually try and clean my house on Tuesdays so that my house is clean for our group to come over. Yesterday evening, while I was finishing up some cleaning, I noticed Brody was trying to help.
He was carrying around an extra thing of BBW hand soap from under the bathroom sink, as well as a rag. He would squat down on the floor and pretend to shake the soap on the floor and then he would rub that spot on the floor and then move on to the next spot. He did this all over the house for about 30 minutes. It just melted my heart because I knew he was trying to help me clean. Jill said it was sad that he knew what to do at 15 months. She said that's when I should have known I was obsessed with cleaning! :)
How precious this boy is to his momma!

He got a little carried away while he was cleaning and started throwing his clothes away. I opened the trash to throw something away and I saw one of his new sweaters in there.
I got it out and asked him to take it back to his room and he cried. I think he thought he was in trouble. :)
This afternoon, I baked these for small group tonight. They are a chocolate brownie with chocolate chip cookie in them. They are soooo good and soooo easy to make. This is what they look like when the go into the oven. Is it bad that I wanted to take a spoon to the batter and dough?? :)
And here they are once they are baked. These may be a new favorite dessert!While I'm on the subject of food, I thought I would share another soup recipe with y'all. I made this Creamy Tomato Basil soup tonight. You HAVE to make this if you like tomato basil soup. It is great!!!

Ingredients
1 large can of petite diced tomatoes with juice
3 cups tomato juice
8-10 leaves fresh basil
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions
Place tomatoes and juice in a stock pot over medium heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. Puree the tomato mixture along with the basil leaves, and return the puree to the stock pot.
Place the pot over medium heat, and stir in the heavy cream and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Do not boil.
I put crutons on top of ours and made grilled cheese sandwiches to go with the soup. It was a great winter meal.
Hope you are all having a great week!

28 comments:

Faith said...

Bless him...he's so precious! What an adorable little helper. I must have one of those brownie/cookie concoctions soon. Yum!!!

Erin said...

That is so funny that he threw his sweater away . . what a great helper :)

Meghan said...

Thanks for the recipe. I might have to try that. I am trying to find easy recipes to add to my recipe book. It seems like all the ones that look good to me in my cookbooks are so complicated like I am Chef Emeril cutting up different herbs and making things from scratch. I like when I find easy recipes like this so thanks.

Chea said...

I LOVE this soup recipe! It freezes really well too! Only thing to note, if you put it in a blender, make sure it isn't hot or you will have a huge mess on your hands- trust me, I've been there!

Lis said...

Awww he is just so sweet!!

And yum! Thanks for the cookie/brownie rec and the Tomato Basil recipe! I'm going to print it out right now!! :)

Ben and Emily said...

Gotta teach 'em young!! His wife will thank you one day!

The soup sounds delicious!

Todd and Courtney said...

oh sweet Brody!! Lauren so doesn't get it when I give directions. She has a mind of her own :) And those brownies look fab!

The Riedel Family said...

Those brownies look SOOOO good! And the soup seems so easy! And Brody looks so cute helping you clean. My 2 year old little boy loves to throw everything away in the trash!

Summer said...

Awwww how cute is that pic of Brody helping his momma clean :0)
PRICELESS
Girl those brownies look um AWESOME! I'm gonna have to make a store run! Ha! Ha!
Thanks for your soup recipes....My hubby loves soup and I am always looking for recipes and he is loving these, and I am to.... LOL that he threw his sweater away!
My 3 year old threw Greg's cell phone in the trash at 2 and we called it and heard it ringing from the trash bag....LOL
Summer :0)

Kelly@Keeping up with Kelly said...

awww too cute

the browines are great looking yummmmmy

Warf pary of 3 said...

landon has that same sweater from The Childrens Place. He has started to "help" me as well around the house. He loves to play with the broom and carry around the dust pan. I have a hard time keeping our house clean with him and an inside dog. soup looks good.

Megan said...

Omigosh thank you thank you thank you for posting this recipe. I have been looking for a good easy tomato basil soup recipe! WOO HOO! And how sweet is that little guy?!? SO cute! Have you found us a half marathon yet? :-)

Adge said...

that is so cute that he was helping you clean. that soup sounds so good

Mandi said...

This is SO funny! I just made a creamy tomato basil soup on Monday night with grilled cheese sandwiches. I used dill instead of the basil and it was really good!

Melissa said...

I tagged you for an award.. check out my blog!

Good Gals Inc said...

Awww poor little guy!!! I have never heard of brownie/cookie bars!?! I think my waist line is now scared!!!

Lilly, Matt, and Sara said...

Lilly wipes the table and her face and I think it is precious. She also throws everything away...but Hey-she learned to throw diapers away. I am probably more excited about that than I need to be. Those brownie cookies look SO GOOD. He is such a ham. I can't wait to eventually get him and Lilly together.

The Browns said...

I love tomato basil soup, but that "1 cup of heavy whipping cream" gets to me...GULP. I'm sure thats what makes it so good!

Melanie said...

I have to share a brownie recipe with you. My friends and I call them 'candy bar brownies'. I got the recipe from someone in my Sunday school class. So amazing!

You take one box of family size fudge brownies (for a 9 x 12 inch pan). Mix them up according to directions. Pour half the batter in a 9 x 12 pan. Then top with 3 Hershey's Symphony bars laid side by side. Pour the rest of the batter on top and bake like directed.

Amanda M. said...

Awwwww! The baby is DARLING! :)
Everything looks SO yummy. I will have to make both those things!

Leslie Duffield said...

These are precious!! He was being such a good little helper :) I love it! Yummy recipes too...thanks :)

Karen said...

That is just so precious, what a little sweetie!!!

Karen

Hattie said...

I wish my boys would clean! So cute. Those brownies look yumm-o!!!

Momofgirls said...

Yippee! another soup recipe! I am making your potato soup right NOW! Those brownies DO look great too!

Send the "clean up boy" my way...I am in the middle of the "Great Closet Purge 2010" right now!

Keep those yummy recipes coming!! Thanks for sharing!

Deidre said...

How sweet he was helping you clean!

We make those cookie brownies a lot at our house - probably too much :) They are delicious!

Lauren said...

Brody is just SO cute! He was being such a good little helper. Those brownies look REALLY good. I will have to try them out for our next get together...

PinkPolkadotAA said...

Those brownies look SO GOOD! :)

Kelly said...

Hi! I started reading your blog when the poof video was featured. As a southern girl raised in the late 80's, I appreciate some big hair!
I am trying your soup recipe tonight! Looks good and quick, which I love!
Blessings to your sweet family!