Sunday, January 17, 2010

Birthday Party and Cooking Party

We had a great Saturday!

We started off the morning by heading to The Stamp's house for Harper's birthday party. We had the BEST time! The party was just perfect. Kelly did a wonderful job decorating, which was no surprise, and was a fabulous hostess. All the little details made the party so special.

The best part of the entire morning, besides getting to celebrate with the sweet one year old, was getting to meet so many people that I already felt like I knew from reading blogs.

The first person that greeted us when we walked in was Harper's nonny. I have been reading Judy's blog for a while and I was just thrilled to get to finally meet her in person. We hugged like we had known each other forever. Brody reached out for her as soon as he saw her. He knows a grandma when he sees one, plus, he was trying to get in good with Nonny since he is so fond of Harper.
I also got to meet Hillary and Laurie!! I have read both of their blogs for a while, as well, and Hillary and I have a few mutual friends, so it was fun to get to visit with them. They are both SO sweet!

Every picture of Josh is of him around the food table! Haha! He had a great time, too!

The birthday girl working on her cake!

While everyone watched Harper, I kept my eye on this little guy. He kept throwing his sippy cup in Harper's toy basket and then would get it out, take a drink and throw it back in there.

He loved all her fun toys! When I went to change his diaper in Harper's room, he got one of her dolls off of her bed and started hugging it. I remind him that dolls are for girls...especially pink dolls!

Mommas of one year olds!

Josh and I usually spend Saturday nights at home with Brody. I cook dinner and then we watch TV, but since we are TV fasting, we decided to do something else tonight. We had a cooking party....kind of. I made a list of 5 meals I could make ahead of time and freeze, so that I didn't have to cook this week. I loved having frozen meals when Brody was newborn, so I thought it might be nice to try and do this occasionally so that I can have a week off from cooking. Tonight, we made and froze 5 meals. We had such a fun time cooking together. Josh was such a great help and it only took us 1.5 hours from start to finish!!! Yay!
I just put a note on each dish, so that I would know what it was and the cooking instructions. We made lasagna, enchiladas, taco meat, chili, and spaghetti meat sauce.
I finally took my breast milk storage container out of the freezer last night to make room for the food. I have no idea why I had left it in there since I stopped nursing in October. When I opened it I found this....The last bag of milk. I was so sad that the precious gold had never been used. I had a really hard time throwing it away even though it was old and Brody doesn't drink breast milk any longer. It's just hard to throw something away that you worked so hard for! Haha! Josh looked and me and said, "are you about to cry?" Haha!

After we finished cooking, we decided to make chocolate chip scones to have for breakfast before church. We might have had one for a snack last night, too! :) They were so good and so easy. I could have eaten all 12 by myself! Have a great Sunday!

33 comments:

Shauna Mama said...

Those cookies look delish!!!! How in the world do you get them so thick?? Mine ALWAYS flatten out on me!

I need to have a "cooking party" too! Sometimes I don't feel like cooking at all at night, Sundays and Wednesdays especially, so this would be perfect for me!

Nancy said...

Your family is precious! I wish I lived by you & Kelly!!
Those scones look really good!!
Brody is too cute...

Silvy said...

i've always told myself that i'm going to make meals ahead of time but have yet to do it--very impressive! :)

Amy said...

The Cooking party is a GREAT idea! Especially for the summer when I'm outside with my daughter until it's late, the last thing I want to do is come in and cook!

Oh BTY, You know you have to put the scones recipe on here!! Thanks for the great tip!!

Ashley said...

The party was great yesterday! It was so good to see you!!! ;0)

Love ya!

Lauren & Eddie said...

I am with you on the "liquid gold"! I breastfeed as well, but occasionally will give my boy a bottle when we're out. It hurts my feelings if he doesn't drink it all! Especially if it was frozen because I have to throw it away!

I've thoroughly enjoyed your blog and reading about what I might be into in a year! Brody is PRECIOUS! My husband and I laughed and laughed at the Santa picture. I love his little personality!

Lauren

www.laurenandeddie.blogspot.com

Erin said...

Are those sour cream chocolate chip cookies? Is that how they are so fluffy? That reminds me, I need to do a post on those because they are delicious! Glad you had a great time at Harper's. I'm starting to believe Arkansas is just one big get together after another! =)

Erin said...

Oops, you said "scones," not "cookies." My bad! =) I was wondering how you'd convinced Mr. Healthy to eat cookies for breakfast!

Melissa said...

Great to see you yesterday and finally meet your hubby! Brody is so cute and I hope that my little peanut will be as cute as him. BTW I love the chocolate scones. I would have helped you eat all of them. Have a great Sunday!

Brittany said...

What a great idea to freeze your meals ahead of time. I may have to try that. Now I just need the patiencs to cook them all at one time!

Danae Jones said...

The cooking party is such a great idea! Ryan and I often stay home with Owen on Saturday nights too, and this is great inspirations for us to thin outside the box for nights at home. Hey, do you want to share that chocolate scone recipe? :)

Jennifer said...

I would have a hard time throwing the milk away too. It is hard work making it!

The cooking party is such a great idea!

Summer said...

Awww how great! The party looked sooo fun! I bet Harper and Brody are gonna date when they are older :0)
So precious....
Cooking Party....How fun....
Summer :0)

Todd and Courtney said...

If I went to Harpers Birthday, it would be so funny because I would feel like I know every single one of you :) And how do you make those scones? I need a recipe!

Melissa said...

you should share some recipes... i would love to try freezing some meals. and i would love to try those scones! ha

Kelly said...

We were just thrilled ya'll came yesterday!!! And I'm glad you met some of my friends. I'm always telling Laurie I want her to meet you and that she would just love you! (and she did).
I made a BUNCH of meals and froze them before Harper was born and it was so great. I think I may have to do that again sometime and store up.

Erin said...

You should post directions on some of your dishes!! I want to try and do that one of these days or when it gets closer to the time of having a baby.. maybe I will include that in my next post about the baby!

Looks like a fun party!! I saw on Kellys blog and it looks like they got lots of great things to donate to the Ronald McDonald House!

Lauren said...

I know what you mean about the breastmilk. When Tyler was in the NICU I had to pump and stored up a lot. So when we got home I put it in the fridge to thaw some and our fridge went out that night. My husband thought I was crazy when I said I wanted to cry while I was pouring it out.

His Doorkeeper said...

Jennifer, I loved how you walked thru the door and I felt like I had met you years ago.....the "special-ness" of blogger friends!! Your two handsome "boys" are just cute as they can be!! Hi Josh!!

Brody is at the top of list for prospects for Harper!
They both were very good yesterday, weren't they??

We were so happy you all came and hope to see you again!
Those scones look DELISH!!

Mary said...

"Are you about to cry?" I've been asked that very sentence many times in the last few years! It's like they can't believe the things that set off the tears :)

Megan said...

You guys were some cooking fools!! It's such a great idea, I need to try that sometime, it would be so nice to come home from work and just stick something in the oven that I already prepared. Glad you guys had a great weekend!

Amo said...

Those scones look delicious! And what a great idea - cooking for the week! Although, your husband looks like he might have been more willing to help than my husband would be. Looks like you've had a good weekend!

Lea Liz said...

What a good idea!!

You need to pos the recipie for the scones, the look so good!!

Nathan and Megan said...

Will you post the recipe for Choc. Chip Scones? THEY LOOK YUM!!!

Sarah Broadus said...

I am obsessed with chocolate chip scones! Looks like yall had a great time @ harpers party!

Tara said...

I'm thinking you need to post all the recipes from your cooking party...scones and all!

Adge said...

you should post the recipe to those scones. I would love to try them. I have actually never had a scone but it looks good.

Amber said...

Those scones looked delicious!! Would you post your recipe?
www.dixondialogue.com

Deidre said...

This is such a great idea! I need to do this so much. I always have good intentions each morning of cooking dinner and by the end of the day lose my will :)

Heather said...

I would have been sad about the breast milk, too! :) I LOVE making and freezing meals! Such an accomplishment and a blessing to know you don't have to worry about dinner some nights!!!

Emily said...

I need to cook up a weeks worth of meals for us. Two babies makes it hard to get anything done.

Brody got all slicked up for his little girlfriend Harper. He is adorable!

Tiffany Lockette said...

That is a great idea cooking meals ahead of time and freezing them. Why didn't I think of that? I am having my wisdom teeth out soon and I will be down for the count for a few days, I can cook ahead of time so that my husband and my daughter have dinner while I am out of commission. Brody is so cute by the way. I love reading your blog and I love reading Kelley's blog as well. Ok, so do tell the recipe for the chocolate scones, they look yummy!!

Erin said...

I know this post is from over a month ago, but I had to comment on the frozen breastmilk. I stopped nursing in November, but I still have a bag in the freezer with about 10 ounces in it. I don't know why I never used it before, but I just can't bring myself to throw it out. My son is so accustomed to the taste of formula now that I'm afraid he won't drink it, but I just can't let it go!