Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Works-For-Me Wednesday: New use for a shoe rack

Today, I am joining a blog carnival that We are THAT Family hosts each Wednesday, called Works-For-Me Wednesday.
For quite some time, I felt like I had more things in our pantry than I had room for, so I found this little solution in a magazine a couple of years ago and tried it out. It worked wonders for my pantry by freeing up some much needed space, and it only cost me $5! This is just a regular over-the-door plastic shoe holder that I hung over my pantry door. I use it to hold all the extra, non-food items that were taking up space in my pantry.
The top two rows hold our vitamins and OTC medicine. I have each section organized according to what medicines it holds. There are two vitamin sections, one cold/sinus/allergy section, one cough medicine section, one pain reliever section, and one stomach medicine section. That makes it easy to find the medicine we need. I also like that we store all our medicine here, because it keeps it out of the reach of our 14 month old son.
On the middle two rows I keep extra spices. I have a spice rack that stays on my counter top, but there are some spices it doesn't have, so I bought them separately and keep them stored here. I like this because I can easily see what spices I have on hand and can access them quickly without digging around in my pantry. The bottom right section contains baking supplies, such as food coloring and cupcake/muffin paper cups.
The bottom two rows hold my paper goods and a few other random things. I keep a box of Splenda with the top cut off in one section, so I can just reach in a grab one for my coffee in the mornings. I keep cooking sprays in another section. I keep drink mixes such as Crystal light packs, tea bags, and hot chocolate packets in one section. I like to have plastic cups within easy reach in case I want to take a drink to go, so I keep a supply in a section. I also keep a variety of plates, bowls and napkins at the bottom. There are napkins in there for every occasion, as well as extra birthday candles and straws.

The magazine also suggested using this in a bathroom closet or on the back of the bathroom door. It can hold various toiletries or things that you don't have space for in your bathroom cabinets. I thought that was a great idea as well!

A new found use for a shoe rack definatly works for me!

Make sure and check out more WFMW posts here.

Have a great Wednesday!

29 comments:

Lisa said...

Very smart!!!

Ann said...

LOVE IT!!!!! I did the same thing at my house only we use ours for all the different cleaning product/sponges/lint rollers/etc.
Saw it in a magazine! Great idea to use it for kitchen items!!!!!!

Emily said...

That is such a neat idea. Would have never thought of that on my own.

Annie said...

great idea! thanks for sharing!

Lilly, Matt, and Sara said...

That is so stinking clever!! That is just a fabulous idea.

Yes, Lilly is tall for her age. She didn't used to be, but somewhere between 6 and nine months, she just had a huge growth spurt.

Also, I think we are going to try and go to the 10:55 service this Sunday.

Rhonda said...

Brillant!!

PHARES CAUSEY said...

My dear organizer friend! I use the same for Heidi's crafts! I put it in the coat closet!

Shanna said...

What a good idea!!!

Rebekah said...

thanks for the great idea. we have a pretty big pantry, but I may have to do this somewhere we we do not have as much storage! I laughed out loud at Brody emptying your dishwasher for you. Cilla crawled into the dishwasher for the first time yesterday! Our little helpers!!!

Summer said...

What a super cleaver idea!! I love it.... I am sooo gonna have to snag it for my pantry! I'm not very good at organizing! I think I'm kinda a loss cause in that dept! Ha! Ha!
Summer :0)

Todd and Courtney said...

genius!! We have a large pantry but I am having issues in the bathroom. We have a ton of cabinet space but the cleaning products drive me nutso and take up so much space in there. I'm totally going to get one for the bathrooms :)

Crystal said...

Great idea! I think I might do that for my linen closet!!!

Mandi said...

Very clever! Too bad my pantry has a bi-fold door.

Leah said...

LOVE it !!! What a great idea!! I HATE where our spices are, as the cabinet where they are is super high up and I can never see what is up there and end up dragging a chair over to stand in. And, our pantry is way tiny so this is such a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!!

Chea said...

I am totally using this. I actually did use one of these for my gift wrap stuff. I have scissors in a pocket, tape in another, ribbon in one and small gift bags tucked away all nice and neat. Thanks for this pantry saving idea!!!

Amy said...

Great idea! How did you hang it to keep it sturdy underneath all of the weight??

Lana said...

What a great idea!!!

Nicole said...

What a great idea! I just started reading your blog - we adopted a little boy 4 months ago and its nice to see what we have to look forward to!

Shelley said...

What a great idea! I never would have thought of doing that. You are so organized!

Have a good rest of the week!

Ben and Emily said...

What a neat idea! I would never have thought to use one in the kitchen!!

Erin said...

Wow that's a great idea! very smart and super cheap!!!

Kristen said...

I love this idea! Thank so much for joining WFMW and sharing it with us!

Amanda said...

Over from Kelly's Korner...Love this thing girl! Truly a good idea.

Team Alix said...

Super good idea! I wish I had a pantry!

Guy and Julie said...

I have one of those over my pantry door too--I've had it up for a couple of years and it makes a HUGE difference. I also have one over the back of my laundry room door and over the inside of Shepherd's nursery closet door--perfect for baby socks, shoes, pacifiers, bibs--all those little things that will get lost!

Stephanie said...

That is a great idea! That would definitely help me and my overflowing pantry/cabinets. Thanks for sharing!

Jessica said...

very clever! I am going to install that this weekend! your blog is really cute!

hxztrade said...

buy ugg boots

ugg boots

ugg boots online

ugg on sale

ugg boots on sale

Mini Ugg Boots
Bailey Button UGG
Cardy Ugg Boots
Infant Erin Ugg
Nightfall Ugg Boots
Short Metallic Ugg
Short Ugg Boots
Sundance II Ugg
Tall Metallic Ugg
Tall Ugg Boots
Ugg Amelie Suede Sandals
UGG Fluff Flip Flop
Ugg Tasmina Braid Sandals
Ugg Tasmina Sandals
Ultra Short Ugg
Ultra Tall Ugg


wholesale watches
replica watches
cheap watches

Rolex Watches
Omega Watches
Tissot Watches
Panerai Watches
Piaget-Watches
Zenith Watches
Baume Mercier Watches
Bvlgari Watches
Concord Watches
Corum Watches
Longines Watches
Louis Vuitton Watches
Mont Blanc Watches
Oris Watches

JenB said...

Hi Jennifer!
I came over from Kelly's blog to watch the poof video (LOVED it!) and have been looking around.

Wanted to share our use for the over-the-door shoe rack.

We have it hung on the back of our coat closet in the foyer. We put gloves, scarves, hats, etc. in it. With 2 kids, plus my hubby and me, we had a ton of stuff and no way to really keep up with it well. This way it's always easily accessible and right there with our coats.
Nice to "meet" you!!

Jennifer