Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Words that begin with the letter "G"

Ghetto Garland My one year old, pre-lit garland from a very nice florist decided to go half-out yesterday. Instead of having lit garland, I have half-lit garland, as seen in the picture. Classy isn't it? Don't worry, we didn't even try to fix it last night. This look is really growing on us. I would like to complain to the "pre-lit industry". They need to invent some Christmas lights that NEVER burn out. My mom's Christmas tree had the same issue this year and I feel like it defeats the purpose of pre-lit when you are wrapping hundreds of lights around the tree or trying to rig it to make the old ones work. Just a thought though. Can anyone relate?

Gain
I spent most of my day cleaning and catching up on laundry. The one bad thing about laundry is you are never really caught up. As soon as you get everything cleaned and put away, something is dirty again.

Green Bean Bundles
Our Wednesday night small group is having our Christmas party tonight. Since we are a rather small, small group, we are cooking a nice dinner. I am in charge of green bean bundles. These are a personal favorite of mine. There is nothing like taking a boring, green vegetable and wrapping it in fat and smothering it with sugar and butter. Yum!!! Here is the recipe in case you don't know what green bean bundles are. Bless your sweet heart if you haven't had them. They are soooo good.

2-3 (16 oz.) cans whole green beans
1lb. bacon
1 stick butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp Garlic salt
Cut bacon slices in half. Wrap around bunch of green beans and secure with a toothpick. Make glaze from butter, brown sugar, and garlic salt. Place bean bundles in oven proof dish. Pour glaze over beans. Bake at 375 degree for 45 minutes.

Gerber Graduates
Brody enjoyed playing in his lunch today instead of eating it. Josh came home for lunch and I was walking him to the door as he was leaving. When I walked back into the kitchen, I realized Brody dumped his lunch all over himself while I was away. The bowl was almost completely full. He then proceeded to lick the bowl after he emptied it. Of all days, I gave him Gerber Graduate spaghetti. I just had to laugh. He was having so much playing with his food. If only he was as good cleaning up messes as he was at making messes. :) Even though it was a HUGE mess, I wouldn't change it for anything in the world!

Grin
Nothing makes my day like this little man giving me an 8-toothed grin. I just love him!

I hope your day was as exciting as our day! :)

28 comments:

Sarah said...

I just love that picture of your littl man!! He will enjoy that one in 10 years!

Mallory said...

Brody is so handsome!! He gets cuter and cuter with each picture I see. I enjoyed your sister's hair poof video...even tried it out this morning, wow, she's right! It works! ;)

Julee Turner said...

I just died laughing at the spag all over him! When you said he dumped it on himself you weren't lying!!

Summer said...

Brody is precious! That pic of you and him is too cute! Bless my heart but I have never had green bean bundles! I am going to make them though! Thanks for sharing that!!
LOL over the garland! That stinks ya only had it like a year!
Spaghetti is always fun to watch a toddler eat and such a messy messy food to clean up!
Have a great rest of the day
Summer :0)

Christa said...

I LOVE green bean bundles...I made them this past Thanksgiving for the first time!

Erin said...

Oh how I love messy baby pictures! I bet he just enjoyed himself to the fullest :) What else are people making for your small group! Yummy!

Leah said...

HAHA I LOVE the look on his face with the spaghetti all over him. Perri had the same thing for lunch as well:) Let me know if ya'll will be in Benton over the holidays!! We will!

Todd and Courtney said...

Girl my darn Christmas tree is half lit this year. I have slacked on decorating because my pre lit stuff isn't exactly pre lit this year. I hope I find some good after Christmas sales!

Mandi said...

Brody looks so mischievious and cute with food all over his face! Sorry about the garland...Christmas lights can be one of the most frustrating things ever invented!

John and Riley said...

Awwwww - what a sweet picture!! Brody is too adorable. My nephew's name is Brody (he's 7). FUN! By the way, I haven't tried the hair poofing, but I did step #1 and bought the hair spray over the weekend. Happy Wednesday!

Kyla said...

The green bean bundles look GOOOD!!!

Megon said...

Ghetto Garland....I love it! (Too funny!) Maybe Josh can check each and every bulb for you. :) I love your positive attitude about the stressful moments of being a mom...I love letting B feed himself...but don't enjoy cleaning the mess as much! But your outlook inspires me! Thanks!!

Ashley said...

YAY! What a cute post!!! ;) Loved it!

Whitney said...

I love this post. What a great idea! I love all your "G" things. The picture of Brody with his lunch on his face is priceless. Your family is just so precious!

The Wife said...

That is such a good pic of the two of you!

Emily said...

My what a mess Brody made. I bet that was so much fun to clean. HA!

Those Green Bean Bundles look good. Never even heard of them. I was needing an idea for Christmas... thanks!

Betsy said...

Oh.my.word!!! That picture of Brody is priceless. Haha! So cute!

I make those exact same green bean bundles. Aren't they so good?? That is a great "go-to" recipe for company, etc!

Coco said...

They make this thing you can get at Hobby Lobby - you plug it into the fuse or where the light is out (I can't remember - so sorry) and it makes your lights work again! Do you have a Hobby Lobby (or Hobby Hell as my dad calls it near you?) you could look for one there to un-ghetto your garland.

Also on the Green Bean Bundles, I make a variation where I drain then and marinate them overnight in WishBone Italian Dressing and then wrap in bacon, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder and pour a little of the green bean juice from the can in the pyrex with it and DELISH! It is more tangy and savory than the sweet version. We usually have both they are so popular.

Oh - and LOVE LOVE LOVE the Hair Poofing Video!

Ashley said...

OH, boy....can I relate! Love it!

Mom to 2 Angels said...

I'm a long time lurker, but thought I would jump in and say that our tree went half out last year. We found the magic gun that you attach to the fuse/light and pull the trigger, then the whole strand comes back on!

luckyevc said...

your family is adorable!
You can change the fuse in your garland. It's near the plug (or at least it should be).
I didnt know this either until i asked my husband how long the pre-lit trees last!

Jamie said...

The picture of your little boy is too cute! I have a few pictures like that myself. Priceless!

Nicole said...

found your blog through Kelly's and just wanted to tell you that I have spent my whole night reading your cute blog about your adorable little boy! Love his shirt in this post- adorable!

Lilly, Matt, and Sara said...

Love the spaghetti photo...too cute!

Nina said...

Awww, he is too cute! I am loving his hair.

Kelly said...

I love this little "G" post! So fun! I stole your "shoe bag in the pantry" idea today and I am loving it!!!

Lindsey Doby said...

have you tried the light saver gun? i'm not sure what the real name of it is but that's what i call it. you can get it at hobby lobby or target for $20 in the christmas section and it looks like a red gun. it has saved a ton of my christmas lights and our prelit tree!

Kari Beth said...

love all your "G" things! brody sure does have a sweet little grin. can't help but want little elle in my arms when i see all these sweet babies on blogs! precious!