Sunday, December 20, 2009

Weekend Wrap-Up

Yesterday morning, mom and I left the house around 10:30 and headed to Benton (3 hours away) for Allison and Baxter's wedding! We made a quick trip down and back in the same day!We drove straight to the church and got there right at 1:30. The wedding started at 2:00. For once in my life I was actually early! :)

Everything about the wedding was beautiful! Here are a few pictures I took from the reception. Somehow I always manage to go to weddings and take pictures of decorations and cakes, but NEVER the bride and groom. I need to change my priorities at weddings. People first, cake second. Haha! The decor' was so cute and whimsical! I'm not for sure if you can see it, but Baxter's cake had Razorbacks on top that were a bride and groom. I loved it!

My favorite part of the entire wedding was when Allison and Baxter exchanged vows. Instead of traditional vows, they quoted to one another Ruth 1:16-17.

Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me.

As I sat there listening, I thought back to when I was a senior in high school and Allison was a junior. Allison and her two high school best friends, and me and my two high school best friends all did the Lady In Waiting bible study together. The study is over the book of Ruth and the qualities Ruth had as she waited for God to bring her to her husband, Boaz. The book focuses on becoming God's best while waiting for your husband. Almost 7 years ago we studied that book together and all prayed week after week for God to bring godly men into our lives that we would one day marry. Now, 7 years later, I was watching my sweet friend quote those exact same verses we had studied together years ago to her husband...her Boaz. I am so thankful that God was faithful to Allison. I am so thankful that he answered her prayer for a husband by giving her Baxter. Now, 4 of the 6 of us girls who did that study together are married to wonderful, godly men. I know the other 2 have wonderful, godly husbands waiting on them. I look forward to the day when God brings them together.

This morning, we had a wonderful church service and after church, we went to eat at Mimi's Cafe. We had planned to take Brody to see Santa while we were up at the mall, but by the time we were finished eating it was 2:00 and Brody was just about asleep. As soon as we put him in his car seat, he was out so we just skipped Santa. Maybe one day this week will can get a picture with him. He was sound asleep when we got back home! While he napped, Josh and I napped as well and watched movies on tv.When Brody woke up, he brought me a book to read to him. The child LOVES to read. It makes me so happy! (Sorry I have bed head from my nap!)

For dinner, I made a new Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe that I got on Allrecipes.com It was easy, low fat and really good, so I thought I would share it with y'all!
Ingredients
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked
1 cup white hominy
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers (I forgot these at the store, but the soup was still good without these!)
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I used dried cilantro and it was just as good!)
2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
crushed tortilla chips
sliced avocado
shredded cheese
chopped green onions

Directions
1. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Stir in corn, hominy, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, and chopped green onion.


I hope you had a wonderful weekend! What did you do this weekend??

12 comments:

Kelsey said...

I don't think I've ever commented before, but I love reading your blog! I was actually at a wedding last weekend where the bride and groom quoted these verses from Ruth to each other. I thought it was absolutely beautiful!

Betsy said...

What a sweet story!! I have two girls in college who are at that "Lady In Waiting" stage of their lives. I will have to recommend this study to them. I love that verse from Ruth. In fact, it is engraved on the inside of my husband's wedding ring! :)

That picture of you and Brody is so sweet. I loved reading to my babies. He is going to be so smart!

Jennifer said...

I found your blog thru Kelly and I love your writing! You are really funny and I love all the pics of course.

That wedding looks like it was amazing!

karen said...

Simply beautiful...I will have to look up this book for the girls in my church:)

Ashley said...

Girl, I bought Freeze It (Original Formula) and poofed this weekend!

Mallory said...

Tell your sister thank you for the poof video! You too! :) I bought the Freeze It spray at Wal-Mart today and practiced...I will be poofed this week! Thanks!

Amy said...

I did the Lady in Waiting study in high school, too. And I am so blessed to say that our God is faithful and brought me my Boaz =)

Summer said...

What a great story! I love your hairband! Super Cute!
Thanks for the reciepe and your hubby's post cracked me up!
Summer :0)

The Allens said...

Hi Jennifer! I LOVED your husband's post! Very cool! I wanted to tell you that Cowboy Chili has become my go to meal. If you have a baby, or a relative passes or you're just having a hard week - expect a pot of Cowboy Chili from me! HA! Thank you. Also, apparently the Wal-marts in Texas don't carry Freeze-It! How am I supposed to get a poof?!? HA!

Leah said...

Hey, just wanted to let those from Texas who read your blog know that HEB (our awesome grocery stores) carry Freeze It!! haha I saw some say that they couldnt find it at Wal-Mart but I saw some at HEB the other day!

Lauren Elizabeth said...

Ok, so after seeing you Saturday I had to come find your blog! and oh my gosh- I'm so glad I did! I had totally forgotten about our bible study, thank you for reminding me of that precious memory! i miss those days :) love you friend!

Amo said...

Hey Jennifer! I work with Julee T. and found you through her blog! I am now a follower! The wedding looked absolutely beautiful. I love all the red. I look forward to reading more about your wonderful family. I think Brody is only a few weeks younger than my son.