Friday, December 4, 2009

Answers-Part 2

Here are the rest of the answers to the questions y'all had for us!


Where do you like to shop and how do you stay so fashionable?
It really made my day that y'all think I am fashionable, because I'm not at ALL!
I probably go to the mall and Target at least once a week, but I don't necessarily buy something every week. And I don't spend a lot of money on clothes. I only spend a lot of money on things I can wear for longer than one season. Like jeans, shoes, etc. I don't spend a lot on tops or even that much on dresses. I always check the sales rack, even if it looks like a bunch of ugly junk. You might find something. I don't impulse shop and I don't do retail therapy. That, in my opinion, just leads to buyer remorse and I hate that feeling! :)

My favorite places to shop are Dillard's, Forever 21, Old Navy, Target and Walmart. Yes, Walmart. I have found some really cute things there. You have to be selective and you have to go as soon as the cute stuff comes in or you can't find much. The Miley Cyrus stuff is super cute and super cheap, and the Metro 7 stuff is really cute too! Our WM doesn't carry Metro 7 but you can find it all online. Some stuff you have to hunt for but I promise you will find cute things!

Here is some of my Walmart stash. The jeans are REALLY cute and I wear them a lot tucked into boots. They were on a sale rack for $12. I had to hunt for them, but it was worth it. The black shirt was $12. The red and black was $10 and the headband was $4. So everything in the picture for less than $40. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

The shirt I am wearing in this picture was also from WM. I found it on a sale rack for $5!! It's really cute, but you can't see it that well in this picture.

These are just a few of Forever 21 finds. Probably the majority of my clothes are from here. I love that store because it is so inexpensive. I think the most expensive thing in the picture is the jacket. The dress was probably around $20. The ruffle top was $9. I have it in several colors! The blue top was $15 and the jacket was $25. This outfit is from F21. The entire outfit (leggings and top) was $12. The top was $9 and the leggings were $3. Cheap! Cheap!
I bought all of these cocktail rings there as well. I know for a fact that none of them were more than $5. A few other things from F21. Nothing over $4 in this picture.This is a picture from a few nights ago. The entire outfit is Target. The dress was $20ish, the leggings were probably $5 and the boots were $15 or 20. So $40-45 total. I buy A LOT of stuff at Target!Here are a few things from Dillard's. I always spend more there than I do anywhere else. The purple jacket a lot of y'all asked about was from there. I think it was $55 or $60. The shirt was around $25 and the dress was $35. I always shop in the junior section in Dillard's
I bought this necklace at Dillard's this summer. It was regular $40 but was on sale for $10. I LOVE it! These shoes are from Dillard's. They are BCBG and I got them for half off at an after Christmas sale, but I still paid around $90 for them. BUT, when are black stilettos ever going out of style? Probably never so I can wear them for a while.

These are by far the purchase I am most proud of...EVER. I bought these at Charlotte Russe for $2.99. I had to dig in a HUGE mess of shoe boxes for about 15 minutes, but hello...$3!!! So worth it.

I hope that helped some. I have a few other little store that are just local to here. I usually only shop there if I have a reason to like weddings, holidays, birthday, etc.
Where do I shop for Brody?
I really don't like shopping for Brody. I get so tired of stores being 75% girls clothes and 25% boys clothes. Am I the only boy mom that feels like this?

I like Gap, Old Navy, Target, and TJ Maxx. I can usually find something at these 4 places for him. There is also a cute little children's boutique up here called Bella Jacks that I buy some things from. This little shirt was from there. Most things are overpriced there, but they are soooo cute that they are hard to turn down!

How do I stay so skinny?
Y'all might hate me but I really just have good genetics. I gained 25lbs with Brody and it literally all just fell off within a week after I had Brody and I was back to my normal weight. I ran until I was 23 0r 24 weeks pregnant and I did spin class until I was around 27 weeks pregnant. After that I walked and did the elliptical until I had Brody. I have always been really tall and skinny. One day it will probably catch up with me! :)

Have I ever told y'all that Josh was a personal trainer until we got married? It wasn't his job, but just a hobby that he did on the side or did after work. He trained people all through college and then for two years after he graduated. He never renewed his certification after we were married, so he hasn't trained people since then, but he is SO into working out. He works out at 5:30 every morning during the week. All that to say that he is super serious about eating healthy. We don't eat much that's bad for us, except lately I have been a bake-a-holic and it is driving Josh crazy because I make him try everything. We eat a lot of baked chicken, fish, turkey, brown rice and steamed vegetables. If we eat ground beef, we get extra lean and we never have fried food unless we eat Christian Chicken (Chick-Fil-A) and then we eat the nuggets. We also just shop the perimeter of the store....meaning, we don't eat a lot of processed snacks. We don't usually keep chips in our house unless I NEED baked Cheetos. :) We don't do anything frozen...pizza, frozen dinners, etc. For snacks, we eat a lot of fruit, fiber bars, almonds, low fat string cheese, veggies. We don't keep anything white in our pantry. No white bread, no white pasta, no white rice and no flour tortillas unless I make enchiladas and then I use flour...wheat bread, wheat pasta, brown rice and wheat tortillas are what we eat. We eat a lot of oatmeal for breakfast and I buy the weight smart kind because it is less sugar. We only use low fat or fat free cheese and we don't keep any drinks except milk and Crystal light in our refrigerator. I keep diet coke in the garage fridge! :) Basically we are anti-fatty food at our house. We also don't eat out a ton and if we do, we don't eat fast food, except when we eat Chick-Fil-A or if we are just in need of a big cheat. I need to do a blog sometime about what we eat in a week. I'm sure it would be entertaining. We are so weird when it comes to food.

So maybe eating like that helps me stay skinny? Plus I run and push a jogging stroller when I go so that helps a little. Oh and I chase a 14 month old around and that is a workout for sure!

How often do we eat out and where are our favorite places to eat?
We always eat out on Sundays at lunch, sometimes on Tuesday nights if our date is dinner, and Friday nights. So I cook Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday nights most weeks.

We love Panera and McAlisters. Those are usually what we eat on Sundays. We love Sushi so we eat at Japanese places alot. We love Mexican so we eat at some local Mexican places. Most of our favorite places are just local places. Fayetteville is a college town so we have a lot of fun, good restaurants near campus. We love to eat at those.

What do I feed Brody?
I call him a garbage disposal because he eats so much. Here is just a list of foods that we give him.

Cooked pasta (little shapes), bagels (torn and not toasted), scrambled eggs yolks (only after 12 months), fish sticks, chicken nuggets, string cheese, sliced grapes, oatmeal (2 packs each morning), Gerber cereal bars, torn tortillas, wheat crackers, potatoes, sweet potatoes fries (slice the sweet potatoes into fries and bake them on cookie sheet), fruit mixed with cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese cubes, avocado slices, tofu (he hated it), brown rice (we let him eat it like finger food), ravioli, lunch meat, shredded cheese, Yo Baby 3 in one meals, fruit cups, veggie cups (you can buy these at WM by the canned veggies), mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, bananas, apple slices, spaghetti (yes it is messy), baked chicken (cut up), dry cereal, Gerber puffs, animal crackers, and grilled cheese sandwiches (torn up).

I know there are about 100 other things that we feed him and as I remember, I will try to blog about them. This should be a good start though! We just try anything with him as long as it's not peanut butter, honey or shell fish. We also let him eat what we are eating some nights. Other than that, just have fun!

Do I have a daily routine?
Our day varies depending on what day it is, but we do a lot of the same things each day.

Brody wakes up around 7:30. I feed him, then we play until about 9:30. He has a snack and then goes down for a nap. I have about 1.5-2 hours of time. I usually eat breakfast, read my Bible, check blogs, watch tv and take a shower. Once he wakes up around 11:30 I feed him lunch. Then we play or run errands. He goes back down for a nap at 1:30 or 2. I usually pick up the house. Do some laundry and any cleaning that needs to be done. There usually always is some since Brody makes messes these days. I usually start cooking dinner during his nap, too. Josh gets home around 5:30. If I go run, then I go when he gets home. We eat about 6-6:30. Josh gives Brody at bath at 7:30 while I clean up the kitchen. We read and play until 8 or 8:30. Then he goes to bed and Josh and I hang out. Pretty exciting isn't it??!! :)

How did you get Brody on such a good schedule?
We did Babywise with Brody. This is what worked best for us. It is not for everyone, but we had a lot of success with it. I think each mom knows what works best for their child and that's what you should do.
I am a big fan of scheduling because I know from teaching that babies and children thrive in a schedule. They know what to expect and they become comfortable in their routine. I also think it helps you and your spouse keep some control over your own lives. I think that in order to really get your child on a good consistent schedule, then you have to be disciplined. I seriously hated the first 2 months of Babywise. HATED IT. I can't say that enough. It was so hard. I cried soooo much. It was hard to keep Brody awake when he needed to be awake. It was hard not to just give in and nurse him every time he cried. It was hard to let him cry at night and during nap time. But we stuck it out. After 11 weeks, he was sleeping 12 hours straight at night, eating every 3 hours during the day and on a great eat, wake, sleep cycle throughout the day. Now he continues to sleep 12 hours at night and still takes 2 good naps each day. The morning one is about 1.5-2 hours and the afternoon one is 2-3 hours.

I guess the best advice I can give is find what works best for you. Find what you are comfortable with and then stick to it. It will be hard but you can do it. I remember our doctor telling us at our 2 month check-up that it was time to drop the night feeding and let Brody sleep through the night. He said, "he will cry and he will scream, but it isn't going to hurt him. What will hurt him is him not getting good sleep." It made complete sense. So we let him scream and cry at night in his crib, and I cried and I would call my mom late at night and cry and cry. Some nights I would just have to lay in our bed and turn the monitor volume down for a little while until he stopped crying just so I wouldn't go get him. We stuck it out and did it every night and it finally worked after a couple of weeks.
We did the same thing when he woke up early in the mornings. He went through a phase around 9 months where he would wake up at 5 or 5:30am and we went and got him for a while, then two of my friends who are moms just told me to leave him and let him cry. They said not to go get him until it was time for him to get up, so we would let him cry until 7 or 7:30 and after a week or so, he started sleeping until that time again. It really was all about the discipline for us.

I'm not for sure if that was helpful. It's hard to be specific when every baby is different and when you know what is best for you and your baby. Just because it worked for us doesn't mean it is for everyone, it's just what was best for Brody.

How did you get started running, what races have you run, and what training program do you use?
I started running in 8th grade, but I didn't get to where I really enjoyed it until I was in college. I had a lot of friends who ran in college so I always had people to run with and knowing my friends were running motivated me to do it, too. I usually ran the cross country trail in college 4 days a week and I got to where I just loved it and looked forward to it everyday.

My sophomore year of college, I ran a relay marathon with my aunt and my two cousins. Then, a month later, I ran a half-marathon with my cousin. I have run several 5Ks. Some of them were in Little Rock and one was up here. One of my favorite was in the town I went to college in and they do a Dam Night Run. You run down to the dam at the lake. It starts after dark and it's in the summer so you don't start running until about 8:30 or 9. It's a lot of fun. I have done a 2 mile run. I haven't ran any races since Brody was born. I was signed up to run a 5K when I was about 15-16 weeks pregnant. The race started at 8 and I needed to leave my house at 7. I couldn't stop throwing up from morning sickness, so I didn't get to run. I thought it would be fun to say I ran a race while I was pregnant. Maybe next time! :)

I don't follow a training program. For the relay and half marathon, I used the training program from their websites. Usually I just run. Sometimes if I am running on a treadmill, I will find a 30 minutes to an hour interval workout from a magazine or online and use it. Those will usually exhaust me but they are a good workout, especially since you have to change the speed and the grade on the treadmill. Most times I try to run 3 miles but it just depends on if Brody can handle it. Josh and I run sprints sometimes until we can't breath. :) I also think spin class was great for my endurance while running. I haven't been very good about going lately but I used to try and go 2 times a week and I could really tell a difference.


What is my favorite thing about being a stay at home mom?

I LOVE so many things about it, but I think the thing I love most is just spending almost every minute of everyday with Brody. I don't miss thing. I have been there for all his firsts. I know everything little thing about him. I love just being able to play all day or spending the day in our pajamas if we don't want to go anywhere. I love eating breakfast and lunch with him everyday. I love talking to him and telling him all kinds of things and hearing him jabber something back to me. I love getting to do fun things with our other friends who stay at home. I love being able to go to MOPS, lunch dates, the mall, the park, the pumpkin patch. I am just so thankful that I get to spend my days doing what I love the most.
What are your favorite hair/skin/ beauty products?
I change shampoos and conditioners a lot, but this is my favorite shampoo and my favorite conditioner. We are on a break right now because it wasn't doing much for my hair because I had been using it a while. I always feel like my hair gets used to a kind and then doesn't do well, so I keep several different kinds and just rotate. One thing I always use is Bumble and Bumble purple shampoo. It's for blond hair and I use it mixed with my regular shampoo each day. It keeps my blond from turning brassy. I love it! I also use Bumble and Bumble Tonic on my hair before I dry it every single day. To say I am obcessed with this stuff would probably be an understatement.
Facial/skin care products I use depend on the time of year. In the summer, especially when I am running a lot and sweating alot, I use different things then I do in the winter when my skin is more dry. In the summer, I use Proactive. I also use Clinique Superfit foundation. It's a lot lighter and it's oil free so I don't break out as much. In the winter, I use a facial cleanser then a pumpkin peel scrub a few times a week and I also have the Dove facial pillow scrubber that I use every few days. I wear Revelon Color Stay foundation in the winter, too. It's a little more coverage and it goes on better when my skin is dry. And I always use Oil of Olay Daily Moisturizer with an SPF. I don't want wrinkles from the sun!:)


My crazy sister asked me if I had any nicknames growing up because she wants me to tell y'all this really silly story.

Normal nicknames growing up were Jen, JJ, and double J. Since my maiden name was Jones, my initals were JJ. JJ and Double J were usually only during softball. I never have gone by Jenny and only two people have ever called me that and they were both so scarey I never corrected them. One was my 7th grade Histroy teacher. The man was so old and so big. His nickname was Tank. I swear he was 7 feet tall. He was like Galioth and there was no way I was correcting him that first day of school so he called me Jenny Jones the entire year. Then in college, my Biblical Theology teacher called me Jenny. Theology was the hardest class of my major. Most people took it their Senior year. So for 4 years, I prayed I would pass that class. The teacher was sooooo hard. I just wanted to pass his class, so when he called me Jenny in his Danish accent, I didn't correct him because I was afraid he would fail me. So he called me Jenny the entire year. (I ended up doing really well in there!)
The story she really wants me to tell you is that when we were really little, we loved the movie 101 Dalmations. We watched it all the time. The puppy snatchers are named Horace and Jasper so we started calling each other that and still do. We were probably 7 and 5 when we started and we are 24 and 22 now. We shortened them to Hore and Sper and my mom hates it because I call my sister Hore....not with a W. Haha! Mom says it sounds dirty. :) We always sign each other's bday cards Hore or Sper. It's seriously so weird but we have been doing it for 17 years so it's not that weird to us.

Are you making cookies for your dad's company this year?

I am supposed to be, although I haven't heard a for sure count yet. Last year, I baked 1800 cookies in 2 weeks, while taking care of and nursing an 8 week old. Yes, I was crazy, but it really wasn't that bad. I just put his swing in the kitchen and while he slept, I baked.


The enchilada recipe!
Beef Enchiladas
1 lb hamburger meat
1 small onion, chopped (you can leave this out if you want)
1 can of chopped black olives (I don't use these. Olives gag me)
1 can of Hormel Chili
1 can of enchilada sauce
1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese
6-8 flour tortillas
Brown the meat and saute the onions in with it. Once the meat browns, add in olives and about 1 cup of cheese until cheese is melted. Fill each tortilla with the meat mixture and roll up. Place in baking dish side by side. I usually use my 11x7 baking dish. Combine the chili and enchilada sauce in a bowl and pour on top. Top with remaining cheese. Bake covered with foil at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
You can buy whatever kind of chili you want. I buy the Hormel Turkey Chili with no beans. My mom uses the regular Hormel chili, which is what the recipe calls for but I have to modify it for Mr. Healthy. I also use extra lean ground beef and fat free cheese and sometimes I make it with wheat tortillas, but it doesn't taste near as good. If you want it to taste really good, use fatty cheese, flour tortillas and regular chili! :) Let me know if you try it!
What are my favorite recipes?
Here is one of my favorites. I make it all the time.
I will go through my recipes and do a post early next week. I will include some healthy ones that we eat a lot and then some that are just good and maybe not so healthy! Is that ok?
What is my favorite memory with Josh?
The night we found out we were pregnant is for sure one. I wish I had a video. We were so shocked! I even called a friend to ask if I could get a postitive test without being pregnant. Haha! If you want to read about it, go here!I also loved my first prenantal appointment. It was so sureal to hear Brody's heartbeat the first time at 11 weeks. I remember I kept looking at Josh and he was so excited. It was such a fun day! Then the day Brody was born is a favorite, too. It was perfect!
Really I have too many. When you have been with someone for 9 years you tend to have a lot of memories! I could probably name 100 more!
What kind of car do I drive?
I drive a Honda Pilot. My mom, dad, Jill, Josh and I all drive Hondas. We are a Honda family! And the car we sold before we bought the Pilot was another Honda! Haha!

If you anything else you want to know just ask or email me! If you missed the first part of the answers that I posted yesterday, they are here.
Hope y'all have a great weekend! Thanks again for all the fun questions!

24 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh my gosh, I remember Coach Long! He scared me to death, too.

Julie said...

Wow!! You are AMAZING!! I loved reading this. Thanks for sharing!

Kelly said...

I have LOVED reading your Q&A's! I feel like I know you so much better now!!! I still hate you for being so skinny(ha!)
This was really, really interesting!! I love reading the details about other people like what your day is like and what Brody eats. It gave me ideas for Harper now that she is 100% on table food.
You are such a neat person Jennifer!

The Allens said...

This was awesome. You and I have a lot in common, so that was interesting. I was thrilled with your commentary on Babywise. We did it and I felt the same way. And it was really hard because a lot of people have a problem with you letting your baby cry so I couldn't always share what was going on.

Linds said...

OK, I am a LONG time lurker... pretty sure I've followed your blog since you were pregnant with Brody (my son, Brayden is 8 months, so they are about 6 months apart). I don't even remember how I found your blog. But anyway, I just have to say that I too HATE shopping at stores because it's ALL girls clothes! Makes me SO mad. Especially for shoes! Do you go to Rhea Lana's? They have awesome deals and atleast it's a bit more balanced (although still more girls clothes).

Todd and Courtney said...

how fun! I loved this. It had to take you forever to type out :) I feel like I know you. Weird huh? :)

The Stokes Family said...

We have followed Babywise as well, and I love hearing about other mom's experience with it. My little girl is 4 months and she has started talking in her sleep around 4 am and 5:30. She still has not slept 12 hours straight. Should I just let her cry it out and not go in there and give her her paci? Thanks for answering all of these questions. I like seeing how other moms do it.

Erin said...

Thanks for sharing all that :) I loved reading it all!! I always forget about forever 21 because its only at the big mall and I don't make it there that often!

Jenny said...

I Love your blog! Your family is so cute!!!
My husband and I found out we were pregnant after 2 months of enjoying married life. We did not have a TV in the bedroom either!

The Timbs Clan said...

Im making your Beef Enchiladas tonight and I cant wait!! We eat alot of the same foods because we have 3 toddlers that wont eat anything new it drives me nuts! So Im hoping 2 out of my 4kids will at least try this new dish!!!
And I feel the exact same way about boy clothes!! I have 3 girls and 1boy so its so hard to find cute stuff for him!!!
Thanks for sharing

Emily said...

OH wow, thank you for doing this... you have given us all some great advice and tips...I like the tips on the healthy eating.. could you please post more about that sometime soon... I have to work on getting healthy and I am having a hard time figuring out what to eat... I could go back on Weight Watchers like I once did, but I found myself eating the same thing over and over.

Oh and thank you for posting what Brody eats... I can't find any foods Lincoln likes.

Oh and thank you for answering my question about your daily routine... that helps me try to think of ways to do more with my time.

Rebekah said...

I have LOVED reading more about you and getting to know you through your blog! I wish I still lived in Fayetteville so we could be real life friends, too! I must say, you make me sick that you are so skinny, but I love love love to eat bad food. I need to work on that! Yay for ya'll for sticking to babywise and for being so diciplined with Brody! We tried it but caved in. We used some of the concepts, but her having reflux made me really feel guilty about making her cry everything out! What if she really was hurting?!?! Anyways...loved your posts!

Crystal said...

I love reading these! I always love to read about everyday life of everyone! I can't wait to get some of your recipes next week.

Jilly said...

These are so fun to read -- thanks for sharing!

P.S. I'm a runner, too, and am about to run a marathon relay next weekend (in the Dallas area). Let me know if you ever want a running buddy in any events up this way! I usually follow Hal Higdon's training programs.

Warf pary of 3 said...

thanks for answering all of our questions. you had some great ones!! i feel like I know you and your family so well. I guess since we both have toddler boys i can relate to a lot of the same things. thanks for sharing

Lisa said...

I loved reading about your clothes! I also like Walmart! I never think about going to Forever 21, I need to check them out, you got some cute stuff from there.
I LOVE that red dress and gray leggings from Target, I looked for it online today but didnt see it, I will have to check the store out tomorrow!
Thanks again for doing this post it was so much fun to read!

anonymous said...

delurker-question asker here...thanks so much for this post! i loved it! this is why i love reading blogs-we can all learn from each other... you have great style and seem like such a genuine great person.
another question...are you still taking them? i think your (home) decorating style is fabulous too. where do you get the items for your home. and would you be willing to post pics of different rooms in your house? i love to see what other people do.
thanks for all the time you put into this! love your blog!!!
laura in ohio

Crystal said...

Yes I forgot to ask also but I love your style with decorating your home. I would love a post with your bathrooms and master bedroom! I've showed my husband your living room and told him I want to re-decorate :) Also,
crazy question...what kind of pumpkin scrub do you use? I want to try it!

krislyn. said...

You are so so sweet for getting through all those questions!! Ha, like writing a book .. I'm sure it was a great way to reflect, right!? =)

Thanks for taking time to do that.

Amy said...

I LOVE reading about your sweet family - thanks for sharing! I also LOVE your Cowboy Chili, and we make it all the time , too (thanks again for the recipe!).

As far as boy clothes, I cannot tell you how many times I have complained to store managers about their baby boy/toddler boy section. Most store websites are better, but then you have to pay shipping. Try 77Kids: it's American Eagle's baby brand, and the boy clothes are SUPER CUTE. They start out a little pricey, but they run great sales! And their t-shirts are the softest cotton I have ever bought for my children. :)

Lana said...

Hello! I haven't commented before, but I have been reading for a little while! I loved reading this post! Brody is just the CUTEST thing!

emilyb said...

Hey Jennifer,
I love your blog!! I found it through Kelly's Korner and love reading about your sweet family. I'm a southern girl living in NJ. I was born and raised in Atlanta, GA and my husband was transferred with his job up north 4 yrs. ago. I have 2 precious boys myself. Preston who if 5 and Cooper who is 13 months. I love reading about darling little Brody- he is such a doll! The enchilada recipe is making my mouth water- we love to eat!! I plan on trying it this week- we all love mexican. Thanks for sharing your great questions with us!

Emily

Stuck in the Sticks said...

Woman you are amazing! Props to you and all you do, even if you don't think its glamorous, you are obviously super disciplined and very hard working! I'm inspired to go run marathons and do laundry and eat healthy! lol

Lauren said...

I have a hard time coming up with new things to cook so I can't wait for more healthy and "not so healthy" recipes! lol