Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Playdough Fun

When we were at Target on Monday, I bought Brody some playdough. I wasn't for sure if he was going to like it or not, since he is a little young for it but I went ahead and got it and thought we would give it a try. He and Josh played with it for a little while the other night. I think Brody enjoyed it! I love things like this because I know it requires children to use their imagination...which is a great thing!


He licked the playdough and realized why I told him not to! Yuck!

I thought since I was sharing picture of Brody playing with playdough I would also share a few edible playdough recipes that I have stored away in my recipe box to use with Brody one day! These are really fun!! I wouldn't recommend them for children under 2 years old since they contain allergins such as peanut butter, honey, and chocolate. These are a lot of fun with children who are a little older since they can help make the playdough and enjoy playing with it as well!


Peanut Butter Playdough
Mix and knead:
3 1/2 cups Creamy Peanut Butter
4 cups powdered sugar
4 cups powdered milk
3 1/2 cups corn syrup

Oatmeal Playdough
Mix and knead:
2 cups smooth peanut butter
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups powdered milk
2/3 cups Honey

Chocolate Playdough
10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate coarsely chopped
1/3 cup light corn syrup
Melt the chocolate in a microwave for 1 minute (stirring occasionally) or until it becomes smooth and creamy. Once the chocolate has melted, add the corn syrup and blend. Pour the mixture onto a waxed paper and spread the chocolate with your fingers until it's about 1/2 inch thick. Cover loosely with waxed paper and let it stiffen for at least a couple hours or overnight.
The chocolate will become very pliable.


Classic Playdough Recipe (Non-Edible)
1 cup Flour
1 cup Water
1/2 cup Salt
2 tablespoons Cream of Tartar
1 tablespoon Oil
Mix ingredients in a saucepan and cook you reach a smooth texture. Turn out onto a plate or piece of wax paper, and knead in food coloring of your choice.
You can add Kool-Aid packages for color and scent, just make sure your child knows they can't eat it because it will smell edible! :)

6 comments:

Sonya said...

I've read your blog for awhile but I don't think I've ever commented! I used to do a Peppermint Playdough and a Pumpkin Playdough when I taught preschool. I think the Peppermint is like the traditional playdough recipe but you add the peppermint flavoring and food coloring.

Summer said...

Thanks so much for the recipe edible play dough! I have been searching since I seen it on an Episode of Jon & Kate plus 8! Yes I do watch that show Ha! Ha!
Your Brody is just precious!
Love the pic of his reaction when he licked the playdoh! Very Funny!
Summer :0)

Erin said...

I need to print these and make a bunch. Alex loves playing with playdoh but it always dries out or she looses it ha ha! This would be a lot cheaper to make our own!

Jenna said...

Love this! I especially love the pic after Brody had himself a little taste. He's like, "I completely regret what just occurred."

Hope ya'll are having a great day!

Katie said...

I'm so glad you posted these recipes! I've been wanting to do this!

Superchikk said...

Ok, well, that "non-edible" recipe totally has edible things in it, and I'm pretty sure I ate some of it as a small child. Maybe that's what's wrong with me!

I bought some of that Playdoh at Target last week too, and decided to save it for a while. We've tried Playdoh before and Caedmon doesn't like it. But I agree - I love things that make them use their imaginations!