Saturday, November 21, 2009

Blessing Baskets


Each year at Thanksgiving, our church does a ministry called Blessing Baskets. The cost of one Blessing Basket is $25 and our church encourages each member/family to give to cover the cost of at least one basket. The Saturday before Thanksgiving, we assemble the Blessing Baskets. Between our two church campuses, we were able to cover the cost of 4,000 Blessing Baskets. So today, we assembled 4,000 Blessing Baskets in the parking lot of the church! It began at 9am and we worked until about 11. I had to share some pictures with y'all! It was such a blessing to be a part of!

We met up with Jill and my mom there.

View of the parking lot!

These 3 trailers were being packed full of Blessing Baskets!

This was my job...double bagging the paper sacks that were used as the food "baskets". It took a lot of people to double bag 4,000 bags!

The fruit tables. These people bagged up oranges and apples for each of the baskets. All the boxes of fruit that had been bagged-up. One of the 3 assembly lines. They would start a bag at one end and just pass it down the tables. Each person put a non-perishable food item in the bag. There were probably 50-60 people at each of the 3 tables. They were moving bags FAST!Hundreds of people came to help this morning!Just a few of the hundreds and hundreds of boxes of food waiting to be put in bags. One of the 3 trailers they were filling up! Josh's job was to help move and stack bags in this trailer.Josh working in the trailer. Watching this young guy this morning just BLESSED me! I will never make an excuse not to serve again after seeing him. I'm sure it would have been easy for him to choose not to come help, but he unpacked box after box of cereal to be put on the assembly table. What a servant's heart!

Isn't it funny how when you go serve you are often blessed more than those whom you are serving? At least that is how I always feel. Josh and I both agreed that we want to participate in blessing baskets each year as a family. We want Brody to grow-up knowing that we are BLESSED!! We want him to understand the JOY that comes from giving and the JOY that comes from serving others. We pray that God gives him the heart of a servant and we pray that he will always choose to give rather than to receive.

In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'
Acts 20:35

11 comments:

Mandi said...

What a great ministry to those in your community! I am blown away by the number of people who participated and the number of Blessing Baskets ya'll packed up today! It truly is a JOY to serve others!

Lilly, Matt, and Sara said...

Good job, guys!! I think it is so important to show our kids the joy of giving and serving others! Way to go FBC!!

Summer said...

How Great! It's so sweet you included Brody :0)
I feel the same way when I help others. I always come out with a big smile on my face feeling more blessed that those whom you are serving!!
Summer :0)

Kelly@Keeping up with Kelly said...

How sweet, very thoughtful!!!

Ashley Thames said...

I love this idea. Very great blessing :) I can't believe how many you guys create..that's awesome!!!

Crystal said...

Wow that is a lot of blessing baskets! What a wonderful thing!

Ashley said...

That is so awesome girl, what a blessing....

Erin said...

Looks like a blessing! Amazing . . I really need to find a church to go to and fast!!!

Mary said...

That is a great idea for a church to take part in!

We seem to skip past Thanksgiving, don't we? Straight on to Christmas and we should really teach out kids about being thankful. I think teaching Brody through that event is a great way to teach him how to serve others.

Can't believe he is walking--My kids were 13 months and 16 months before they walked. He's a go-getter!

Angie said...

What an awesome thing to do! I love it!

Juggling Thoughts said...

Great work! Your family is absolutely adorable :)

Just found you Kelly's Korner blog and thought I would drop by and say hello!

My personal blog:
www.finewire.blogspot.com

If you are ever interested in a new blog design, I would love to work with you!
www.onefineblogdesign.blogspot.com

Happy early Thanksgiving!