Thursday, October 8, 2009

3 Years Ago Today.....

Josh asked me to marry him!
I almost hate to tell the story because I sound like a brat! :) Josh and I had been dating for 6 years at this point. It was the fall semester of my senior year of college, so I figured we were getting close to getting engaged. I figured it was going to happen at the end of October since that was our 6 year dating anniversary. He knew that I thought that so he just threw me off completely.

At the time, my dad was working here in Fayetteville during the week, but we still had our house in Benton, so my mom was living in Benton. I came home from school that weekend and on Saturday, my mom, sister and I headed up to Fayetteville to go to an event with my dad that evening and to look at houses for my mom and dad.

On our way back to Benton, Josh called and asked told me he wanted us to go to our church in Benton that night. I told him I had too much to do at school and I needed to go back to Arkadelphia once we got to Benton. He was so persistent...and so was I. I named off 1000 things I had to work on, including a paper on some chapters in the book of Revelation which clearly was not the easiest paper of my life, and I just wanted to go back to school and go study. He would not give in for anything. We probably talked back and forth 10 times on the way home. Me telling him I WAS NOT GOING TO CHURCH and him telling me that I WAS GOING!

My mom and sister started telling me I should really go. I could leave after church and not to make a big deal about it and just go. I am sure I griped about all the things I had to do at school. For the life of me, I could not figure out why everyone wanted me to go to church!!! It was just normal Sunday night church and to me was not a big deal. Finally, after everyone was SOOO persistent, I agreed to go and drove straight off the interstate when we got into town to the church.

After church was over, I could not figure out why he wanted me to be there still. We were walking out and I told him that I needed to run home and get my stuff together and head back so I couldn't go eat. He was supposed to go pick something up for us and bring it over. Well, after like 30 minutes he still wasn't there....I was getting a little frustrated! Then, Jill randomly hands me this card that said something on it and I can't remember what, but basically it was telling me what was about to happen and then had a clue for the next place to go. Well, I started asking a million questions because I didn't get it and then I remember saying, "Oh crap! Am I about to get engaged and I just acted like this?" Then, I picked up the phone to call Josh and Jill told me I couldn't call him. She told me to get into the car and she started driving me to the location of the first clue. Each place I went was somewhere meaningful in our relationship and each time I got to a place, one of my college friends was there holding a rose and the clue for the next place to go. I had no idea any of them were even in town and had talked to 2 of them that day and they were "at school".
I went to 6 places before I was given the last card, which said "This is the last place you will be Jennifer Jones." I knew that was our church, which is where we would get married so we headed there. Jill pulled in front and ran inside and disappeared. I had no idea where she went. When I opened the door to the foyer, I could see Josh. There were tons of candles of rose petals and columns...think The Bachelor engagement! :) I immediately stopped in the doorway and started apologizing profusely. I felt awful!!!
I finally walked over to him and he asked me to marry him! After I said yes, I could hear people and when I turned around, all our friends and family were hiding off to the side of the foyer!It really was such a great night....even if I almost ruined it!

The next night I had my EEE blowout. Basically, you keep the engagement secret (which is hard because I went to classes on Monday and couldn't tell anyone or wear my ring) and at the Monday night meeting they announce blowout so they turn off the lights and pass around a candle while we sing a song. The person who is engaged blows out the candle and basically everyone screams and goes crazy! It's a really fun tradition and most girls want to get engaged before they graduate so they can have a blowout! Haha! Mine happened to be during Tiger Tunes practice so that is why we look like we are all about to go workout! This is me and my pledge class!
Josh did a wonderful job planning such a special night!

25 comments:

Mary Lynn said...

Fun story, Mrs. Francis! :-) Josh deserves an A for creativity!

Megan said...

So sweet! I'm glad you didn't ruin the proposal! :-) I'm so glad you guys dated as long as Luke and I did!

Aishlea and Brandon said...

That is the cutest proposal story ever! :) He has to be a great guy to put that all together! Thanks for sharing!!!

Mandi said...

This is such a sweet proposal...Josh did a great job pulling it all together.

stb said...

Great story! I was grumpy the night my husband wanted to propose so he put it off a night. LOL!

Todd and Courtney said...

So sweet! I was a Phi Mu so it was fun reading about the blow out! I was also grumpy before our engagement. :)

Shanna said...

I had classes with Jill at UALR around this time because I remember her telling me all of the plans! That's a sweet story...my fiance and I had been dating almost 6 years too (he proposed last Tuesday which was 5y 8m and 1 week of dating). I felt like a brat too because he'd told me we'd be engaged by opening day of deer season and he kept putting it off so I was expecting it because it got down to 2 days before opening day. I was trying to study for a big test and he was persistant on us going to "check his mineral licks to see if the deer had found them." Mosquitos were driving me nuts because it'd be raining a lot so they were swarming and he was like aren't you ready to go hunting. I said no I'm ready to go home....and that's when he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. So I can relate!

Lilly, Matt, and Sara said...

Josh did such a great job!! Matt did a sweet proposal, too. I will have to blog about it in January!! Anyway, what a thoughtful and sweet story! I am impressed he got so many people involved and they all kept it a secret.

Katie Spinks said...

that is totally the sweetest engagement story....

Kelly said...

THAT is a sweet story. I love how he involved your friends. Josh did VERY good!!! Love it!
And the saddest thing to me when I got engaged is I missed out on having a blowout. I almost made my friends all come to my house so we could have one but it wouldn't have been the same. ha!

Harris Family said...

Awww. I LOVE it! Such a fun story! We called them Candlelights at Arkansas and they were so much fun! Mine was a real shocker, too, since Flint and I had only been dating 6 months!!!

Summer said...

First off, Happy Proposal Day to you!!!! Secondly that is like such a fun proposal story! Josh did good including your friends! How sweet is that! OMG I didn't realize til the last post you go to the same church as the Duggars! Have you ever met them????
Summer :0)

MomApoo said...

I always hate to tell our engagement story because I sound like a huge brat! Love you and I am so glad that you and Josh are our friends!

Larissa said...

Your proposal story was super sweet...I found your blog through KellysKorner. I hope you don't mind me reading about your family. I just love how you celebrated Brody's monthly birthday. That was great idea.

Kathy said...

What a thoughtful proposal. Josh is a definite keeper.

Terri said...

I had lots of Business classes with Josh I remember talking about rings with him! So fun! And ohh...blowouts! I remember telling Chuck he BETTER do it during the school year so I could have one! Love it!

Jilly said...

Aww -- cute!

Heather said...

I LOVE this story! I didn't get to have my "blowout" because I got engaged way after college but I remember how fun they were! What a great engagement story! I can totally see me doing the same thing about arguing and wanting to stick to my plan! :)

Sonya said...

Great story!

The Lambert's said...

That is the sweetest engagement story I have ever heard!!!

Jill said...

I almost cried 3 times that day because you were being really hard headed, but I don't blame you! Ha! It was such a fun day and I was so glad I got to be part of it!! Happy 3 years of having a ring...and of course Josh! :) Love you both!

Lisa said...

you two are so cute! That is this most adorable story I think I have ever heard!

Resisting Perfection said...

That is the cutest tradition ever about the candle, how adorable. Bless Mr. Francis heart, he was so determined! I love that you have photos to document it.

The Townsend's said...

That is a great proposal story!! Good job Josh!

Reese Ray said...

How sweet!! He did a great job! Isnt it so funny to go back and think about all those little details and how we acted and before and after the surprise?!