Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Finger Food Fun

Brody will start Mother's Day Out again this Thursday. We went to open house last week to meet his teacher and get all our important information. Since he is no longer in the baby class (tear), his lunch has to meet state requirements and have one food each of the 4 main food groups. That's hard when you have a baby that is just learning to eat table food. We give him bite sized table food/finger foods at each meal, but to ensure that he actually eats some of the food, we still give him some baby food at each meal. Today at lunch we practiced complete finger foods. I usually give him just a few finger foods on his tray at a time, but since he will be sitting at a high chair table with 6 other children, he needs to be able to have the food all laid in front of him and be able to eat it without reaching all over the place for it.

Today, I put all his food on his plate, put it in front of him, and let him do it alone. Before Brody got a hold of it....Yum.He immediately mixed the carrots and green beans together.
Big bite...

He was serious about eating today.

After looking at the plate and tray, the seat of his highchair and the floor, I would say he got about 1/2 of the food in his mouth. Pretty good if you ask me!

He was so proud of himself when he was finished. (Sorry for the blurry pic...he is always on the move!)

After he finished his lunch he had a fun time playing and then headed to his room for a nap! :)

11 comments:

Jill said...

GREAT JOB, BRODY!!

I love his little plate!! He is one good eater! I love the look on his face in the last pic...he is really concentrating on that toy! I love him!
Cute post!!

The Neffs said...

What a sweet boy! I love the name Brody. Have a good week! Ginger

Lea Liz said...

awww!! So cute! how many teeth does he have? When can you start giving complete finger foods and crackers and such? I get so nervous with my Brody with little snacks I dont know what Ill do..lol

Leah said...

Very cute! Looks about how Perri eats, though too bad you don't have a dog to take care of it haha. Our dog, Emma, LOVES that Perri is eating finger foods now and lays beside the high chair at every meal and as soon as I pick her up out of the high chair, Emma swoops in and gets everything in the seat that dropped. And now Perri likes to give Emma food too. It's pretty funny. I am so jealous that ya'll can take Brody to MDO!! Around here, MDO doesn't start until atleast 15 months, most 18 months. Drives me nuts!! I remember in AR that most were like 3 months so I don't know why they don't do that here! I would LOVE a day or two a week for her to be able to go play and give me a little break!! Also glad to hear your dr. gave you guys the ok to give Brody milk. I don't want to have to give Perri formula but she is losing interest in nursing big time and it doesn't help that I struggle with supply as it is!! Hopefully we can make it another month until she's around 11 months so we can start milk! I had heard that 11 months is ok to switch to milk but hadn't talked to her pedi about it yet. Anyhow, sorry to ramble on, but Brody is adorable and love all the pics and posts!!

Emily said...

Thanks for posting this! I am so confused about what to try and feed Lincoln.. I don't know what to give him and let him try. I let him try just a little bit of table food, but never knew what would be safe to give him... if you have any other ideas please send them my way!!!!

Kelly said...

Oh wow - that whole lunch thing is so official and a little stressful! Brody did great with his lunch. And here I'm looking forward to the day that Harper's eating isn't so messy.......looks like it's only going to get worse before it gets better. ha! ha!
He's so grown up! I know you are looking forward to MDO!

Lyr said...

I'm impressed~ He did so well! He needs to give my 2 year old lessons in eating!! ;)

Todd and Courtney said...

"Brody, come teach me how to eat. I don't like food" Love, Lauren :)

Julee Turner said...

Aww! He is so big eating all that by himself and he looks so much like a little boy with messy hair and food all over him! I just love his little smile when he was done!

Lilly, Matt, and Sara said...

He is such a good eater!

Harris Family said...

Oh dear...I have this to look forward to! How funny! Okay, the whole balanced meal thing stresses me out already!