Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Brody ate dog food last night.....

There really isn't a better title than that. Before you think I fed it to him, here is the story......

Matt and Julee were on their way back from Houston last night, so Josh and I went over to their house after Josh got off work to do a few things before they came home. Josh was in the back yard and I was in their bathroom. I put Brody in the living room with the TV on and a lot of toys to keep him entertained. Every 3-5 minutes, I would go in the living room to check on him. I could hear him playing with toys the entire time, but I was obviously still checking just to make sure he was OK.

A few minutes passed and I realized I didn't hear any of his toys, or hear him talking to them, so I ran, and I mean RAN, into the living room. No sign of him. I started yelling his name, as if he walked away or something. As soon as I said "Brody", he came crawling around the corner in their kitchen and had a mouth full of something. Seriously, like chipmunk cheeks.

I knew exactly what it was.....Romeo's dog food! I dove onto the floor like I was sliding into a base. When I rounded the corner of the cabinets during my slide, I saw the dog food bowl with half the dog food in it, a fourth of the dog food on the floor, and a fourth of the dog food in Brody's mouth. I immediately stuck 2 fingers in his mouth and started to scoop out the dog food.

The entire time I'm screaming, "we DO NOT eat dog! NO! NO! No sir! Not dog food!"

He clamped down on my fingers as to tell me I was not taking the yummy lamb and rice pieces out of his mouth. As soon as I cleared his mouth, I stuck my nose straight into his mouth, like I was smelling for evidence. Sure enough, he had dog food breath. SICK!

I ran around in a circle for about 36 seconds jumping up and down and shacking my head like some sort of bug had attacked me, or like I was doing a rain dance. Brody just stared at me. Poor guy. Then I grabbed my phone and called Julee.

Julee: Hey!

Me: Um yes, sorry to bother you, but I'm at your house and my child just ate Romeo's dog food. And I need to know.... (interrupted)

Julee: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Me: This isn't funny. I need to know where....(interrupted again)

Julee: I know it isn't funny. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Mom! Brody ate Romeo's dog food. Matt! Brody ate Romeo's dog food!

Me: Julee! Julee! Do you think it's OK for him to eat? I need to know where the food bag is so I can read the warnings!!!!

Note to self. Don't call Julee in a crisis situation. Haha! I found the bag and checked it. He was just fine. I got him an extra toothbrush from Julee's bathroom and let him chew on it so it would clean his teeth a little. Gag. I still cannot get the smell of his breath out of my nose. Did I mention the little dog food pieces were in his teeth, too? Because they were.

Oh, to be a 9 month old again.

22 comments:

Anita Bell said...

Oh, I laughed and laughed! Enjoyed that story! I could just see you jumping around in the kitchen. LOL

Burton's Blessings said...

Aww, I'm sure I will experience that all too soon!

Katie Spinks said...

that is a funny story but Im like you I would have been panicking to find out if it was ok for him to eat but so gross but when your little 9 month old things like dirt and dog food taste good for some odd reason!!

Megan said...

Omigosh. You are such a good storyteller, this was hilarious! I mean I know it wasn't funny at the time, but the way you explained how you reacted was so funny. I'm pretty sure I have known a few kids who ate dog food, and they are ok! :-)

Jill said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this story!! He is the PERFECT child for you!

I can just see you saying "no, no sir, Brody we do not eat dog food!" I am sure he was thinking "mom you are so crazy it's just food!" haha!!

That was a a precious little boy memory and I can't wait for more!

Megan said...

I can totally see Braelyn doing this. Too Funny! Thanks for making me laugh. =)

Emily said...

That was to cute! He was hungry and wasn't about to wait on you to feed him. LOL!

Kyndal said...

Oh my word, I am laughing out loud! What a little stinker! I have no doubt in my mind that I will be telling a story like this about Kaiser in a few months!

LYNDEE said...

Funny, funny, funny... Cade always ate dog food at my moms house, until he realized how nasty it really was at ours, our dog has special food.... Salmon, potatoe, and veggies.... talk about bad breath.

The Allens said...

I read your blog so that I will know what's coming next! Oh my!

Christa said...

I think I found your blog through Kelly's Korner a few months ago...I enjoy reading it! That is too funny about the dog food! I was cracking up!

Jenna said...

Oh.My.Gosh. That is hilarious. But i would totally freak out too!

Superchikk said...

I'm sure Julee feeds Romeo high quality dog food, so Brody is just fine. I'm sure he's not the first kid to eat dog food. In fact, I know he's not. I used to get my sister to eat it all the time! And she turned out ok...I suppose. Ha!

And C tries to eat it all the time, so you're definitely not alone!

Christine said...

I found your blog through Kelly's Korner. I just had to comment about this...our 1 year old, Collin, has eaten our cat food. Grosses me out, but people tell me that pet food manufacturers have higher standards than people food manufacturers...kids will be fine!! Now I definitely don't plan to let Collin eat anymore if I can help it!!

Leigh said...

You are too too funny! And you are so not alone! I have the poison control number on my phone and unfortunately I've used it more than once! We're all good now though! Let's just say we store fish food and tums on high shelves now!! Thanks for sharing! :)

Melissa said...

Great story! You did a great job recaping what happened! I laughed and laughed... I could totally see you sliding around the floor digging into Brody's mouth. I hope it does not happen again! :)

Jilly said...

GREATNESS!!! Thanks for the funny :)

Julee said...

Oh that was so funny! I just died laughing all over again when reading your summary of the night! I guess its a good thing that I splurge and buy Romeo really expensive dog food! Oh sweet Brody! I can't wait to tell him this when he is a teenager!

Lea Liz said...

Oh my goodness!!!! Brody!! haha... Glad everything was okay but I would have freaked out too! EW dog breath..hehe

Mandi said...

Eeew! I would totally freak out, too! You know they make baby toothpaste...it may help get rid of the dog food breath. :) HAHA!

Sarah Fries said...

HILarious! I can totally picture you reacting the way you did! I just wish you had the slide on video and that Josh would have come in to join in on the chaotic reation!! Priceless!

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

too funny!! your stories crack me up! i am right there with you-saturday night my girl fell and hit her mouth, blood everywhere...not pretty, but she is ok, but did seperate her frenulum. they are so resilant, but still it does a number on my blood pressure, maybe that is what we need? your little one is so cute-i have done the same thing with my girl and the dog food.