Friday, January 9, 2009

He finally did it!

Warning: This post is NASTY in the bathroom sense of the word, but because I use this as a "baby book" for all the memorable events in Brody's life, this story is on here. Don't read this if poop disgusts you!! :) Aunt Jilly, avoid this post.

When Brody was first born, I felt like all he did was poop. Constantly poop. He would poop like 10-12 times a day. I was so excited when it tapered off after the first month and he started only having 2 or 3 dirty diapers a day. Up until recently, he has been having 1 or 2 dirty ones a day. A few weeks ago he started having a dirty one every two days or so. It started to concern me, being that I am one of those first time "freak out because my child isn't doing what all the parenting books say and therefore, my child is abnormal and I'm failing miserably" kind of moms. You get what I'm saying!

The weekend after Christmas, I became concerned because it had been two days and no dirty diaper. Brody seemed unusually fussy and was to the point of becoming inconsolable. I decided I would just call the pediatrician and ask if there was something I could give him to make him poop, because I figured he was constipated. Long story short, I had to call the weekend number and a nurse called me back. I explained to her the situation. She asked me a whole list of questions about him. Basically, after giving her his entire life history (all 3 months of it) she told me that he was right on track for an exclusively breast fed infant at his age and that he was not constipated. Instead, his fussing was related to something else, which she assumed was gas. Her suggestion was to give him Mylicon drops and lay him on his stomach. This is the kicker. She tells me because he is breastfed, the milk is completely pure and 100% absorbent, so it wasn't necessary for him to poop everyday. As a matter of fact, she told me it was normal for a breast fed infant to go 7 or more days without pooping. She said the record she knows is 21 days without pooping and the baby wasn't constipated!! I'm sorry! What? Who in the world would like to go 21 days without pooping? Not me. Did anyone else know a baby could go that long? Ok, never mind that. Please don't make me feel stupid if you did!

So, this week, Brody went 6 or 7 days or more without pooping. Honestly, I have no idea the last time he pooped and neither does Josh. He wasn't fussy and he had tons of wet ones, so I know he was getting plenty during his feedings. After dinner tonight we smelled something. Yep! It was Brody. A weeks worth of poo came out. Josh got to enjoy that diaper and I enjoyed a good laugh. We had to change his clothes afterwards if you can only imagine that thing! Yuck!!! I chose not to include a picture with this post!!:)

19 comments:

Lilly, Matt, and Sara said...

Isn't it crazy the things we get excited about now?? I have found that soaking pooey clothes and scrubbing with dawn dishwashing detergent before putting them in the wash (you have to do this before it sets) gets the poo out of the clothes so it doesn't stain...Lilly loves to go outside the diaper whenever we are out in public. Lovely! Just a tip b/c it took me several stained outfits to figure it out--not exactly a laundry expert here.

Vashti said...

The joys of parenthood!! Wait until he is big enough to poop in his diaper and then take it off himself and hide it in his bed because he knows that he is supposed to do them in the potty!
And then he learns to take off his little brothers diaper and hide it in his bed aswell......that was my find yesterday! NICE!

Mandi said...

Oh, you got to experience the explosive diaper! How funny! D's had a lot of constipation issues (poor guy) so I know what you mean.

And I don't think it's normal to go 21 days without pooping!!! I think it would be EXTREMEMLY uncomfortable!

Mrs. Wife said...

Hi! I just found your blog through Kelly's blog! This post is hilarious! 21 days just does not seem right - that poor little baby!

Jenna said...

Oh my word, that would have scared me too! So glad he is ok! Can you imagine changing the diaper of the baby who went 21 days?!?

Maranda said...

My daughter has constipation issues and has been on Muralax for almost 2 years now...it's not fun! She experienced the "exclusively breastfed baby" poopy issues, too. We found that holding her and massaging her belly would almost instantly produce a dirty diaper. In fact, she's potty trained now and when I know she's miserable and needs to go potty, I will sit her in my lap and rub her tight little belly. It's amazing how fast that can work!

aunt jilly said...

thanks for the warning! i handled reading the post very well! no gag, no nothing! if i was there i would had changed it!! poor guy, i bet he feels much better!

Julee Turner said...

So glad that B finally pooped! :) Maybe those horrible farts will end now!!!

Kelly said...

Awww...I remember those days. I find it hard to believe 21 days, but I can see a few days or even possibly (once in a while) once a week. At this age they need everything they are getting so there is not much left for waste.

When CJ was Brody's age we had the same concerns. Though we were told we could give him small amts of prune juice (wait he was 7 months old when that happened, sorry) And after that he was put on miralax, not so much for constipation, but bc he has a hard time going.

Who knew us Mom's could make a conversation out of poop. ;)

Lauren said...

Only a momma could truly appreciate this post! Ha!

I remember those days very well... It never failed that the blowouts would occur right before we were headed out the door!

Katie said...

Oh my goodness, I remember when Amelia was about this same age...she did the same thing! I was a nervous wreck, of course, like you were! And the pediatrician and many other books/websites I read kept saying the same thing about how breastmilk is so absorbent and they just don't necessarily NEED to go. And I think this is all in line with the timing of one of their growth spurts, so they are needing more from their milk at that time and using it all up. Bless your heart...I totally remember that week with Amelia!

Katie said...

OH... and I just loved that you posted about poop! haha! Sometimes, I second-guess myself about posting certain baby-related (and mommy-related) things...maybe I'll just do the "WARNING" label like you did in the future!

Kelly said...

Oh the things I have to look forward to!!! I love this post because it's just honest motherhood! :-)
I bet Brody feels SOOOOOO much better today!!!

Leah said...

Hilarious. It's funny now that isn't it how we get excited about poops and pees and such? And discuss it and analyze if it looks "normal' etc haha. Gotta love parenthood

Amy said...

That's so funny! :) And Oh, the memories! Especially the times where I "let" (MADE!) my husband change those kind of diapers!

With two little ones (ages 2 and 1), we talk about poop A LOT! :)

miss shortcake said...

wow. I never knew that. 21 DAYS?? Have fun with your adventures in diapering!

Jessica said...

I'm so far behind on reading blogs... HYSTERICAL!! But for Brody, not so funny. Bless his heart!

Harris Family said...

Funny for you guys, sad for poor Brody! Thanks for the post!!! I had NO idea. I am like a sponge these days absorbing all the new mommy information. Just a couple more months and I will be worrying about poopy diapers and a constipated baby , too!!!

Tanya said...

Hi, just found your blog through Mandi's. I just wanted to say that my son Jack (now age 5) did this while he was breast fed. Usually he would go every 7-9 days! I couldn't believe it either, but the dr. said it was ok. =) Tanya